Levothyroxine & Bloating

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am currently taking 100mg of levothyroxine increased from 25mg to 100mg over couple of years. Suffer from really horrible upper boady bloating not triggered by food or drink. Does any one else suffer like this? thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lucy, you are far from alone with this problem it's one most people with UAT experience but did you know there are other treatments out there,Join a Thyroid help group on Facebook where you will find out what you can do to help yourself.With this disease you need to know all you can because there is little help on the NHS if the one drug they prescribe does'nt work you are on your own.Get to know all you can ,join a group ,lots of help there from people going through the same symptoms as you 
  • Posted

Thank you, had a quick look on facebook but most seem closed groups. Can you give me an idea which group you had in mind. Quite surprised its the problem most people with UAT have. Good to know I'm not alone, even though wouldnt want to wish it on anyone thanks
    • Posted

iYes the groups are all closed groups so that only thyroid sufferers can see the posts.If you click on any of them in the list there will be somewhere at the top where you can apply to join said group.As I said yesterday it could take a time as the people that run the groups either work or have family commitments & they add people as & when they either have time or are having a good day.Please do join a group you will learn so much more about your condition than you ever will with the average GP,they are not equipped to help a lot as they are what the name says general practitioners which means they have a little knowledge of a lot of complaints but can not cover all the complex things that make your Thyroid work.Unfortunately we do not get a very good deal treatment wise but thousands of us still feeling ill & sharing our problems world wide as we are able to do now will hopefully make the medical proffession sit up & take notice of what we are saying.Something has to change with so many of us not being well on Levothyroxine.I have a daughter in law who is fine on it but many of us are not & we need to be able to choose the treatment that works for us.
  • Posted

Hi Luch, You could be allergic to some of the additives and bulking agents used. Ask your doctor to prescribe a diffierent levo. There are a few around. I understand that you have the right to ask for this, but you may need to check. Have you tried cutting out wheat to see if the symptoms improve?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.