levothyroxine , digoxin, verapamil taken together

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi i am new to this forum and i was hoping for someone who nos more about these medications as i am worried sick.

my partner has been given a number of tablets to take together every morning , every 2 weeks to the day his is sick , the tablets get left out for 2 days then he takes them again then 2 weeks later sick again , i have blamed the combined tablets taken together especially the digoxin and verapamil and possibly levothyroxine , it might just be me over stressing and it might have nothing to do with the tablets as the doctors and the hospital have pointed out but i just feel uneasy with my partner taking them all together, i have not had an easy time getting my partner to the point his at now as his ill health resulted in me almost loosing him nearly 4 years ago to cancer of the glottis   i will jot them down now on here with doses his required to take and if i am being over protective could someone please tell me thank you

80mg verapamil 3x per day 

digoxin 125mg

levothyroxide 100mcg 

omeprazole 20 mg 

rivaroxaban [xarelto] 20 mg

pravastatin 10 mg

thiamine 

salbutamol and seretide [inhalers]

the doctors will not take me seriously , and im beginning to think maybe i am wrong , but i have this annoying feeling that this combination is making him ill and i dont no what to do , his also peg fed if this information helps at all , may be if any of you guys have any experiance with any of these and sickness i would be happy to hear of you thank you in advance  

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. It's best to talk to your GP and pharmacist (hospital doctor too if applicable) first for advice...and to even maybe take second and third opinions from other GPs pharmacists. Taking a pen and paper with questions, and to take notes, is always a good idea. I only take levothyroxine, and the doctors adjust the dose if necessary after yearly or sometimes earlier blood tests. I have no side effects. I have been told to take it in the morning, at least 2 hours before I take my iron supplement. Hope this helps even a little bit. Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hello

when you say he is sick, what specifically happens? Do you mean vomiting? 

just looking at the medicines he takes, the only obvious serious drug interaction is between digoxin and verapamil, ie, the verapamil can increase the concentration (strength) of the digoxin. However, the prescriber would know this and take this into account with the dose I would hope. I would ask them about this just to confirm it's ok and been accounted for.  It could be they need to reduce the digoxin dose.....don't do this yourself though, please seek your doctor's advice.

the only other potential issue is that omeprazole can possibly raise digoxin concentration, but it's theoretical.  All the others appear fine. 

Rivaroxaban is a relatively new drug, so any side effects (however minor) to this must be reported via the yellow card system, online yourself or via your doctor or pharmacist. 

Hope you get on ok,

Sarah (pharmacist)

• Posted

Sorry about this delayed response I forgot my password and only just been able to reset it.

What I mean by being sick is actually being sick , but this comes last , first its a cough , then tiredness where he can sleep all day long then he complains of a wishy washy stomach ( that's the words he used) he struggles then with urine output and constipation , sometimes only passing water twice per day , and its very Strong potent smell then his sick ( vomiting ) for around

Half a day even on occasions for 2 days day and night , they have just added to his medication list now with diazepam and

Nitrazepam whilst his in hospital , I had to bring him in to hospital 5 days ago same thing again with sickness , they did his bloods and within the hour placed him in AMU 2 poisons ward, but they are trying to tell me he has a really bad chest infection with possibility of pneumonia, this is there excuse every time pneumonia and chest infection , so if that was true then his had 4

Cases of pneumonia and chest infection's since September 2015 even more confusing is he had the pneumonia vaccination in 2013, I asked them to look at his tablets for reactions and they haven't , asked them what his thyroid and digoxin levels was and I was told they was not tested , everyday since his been in hospital I have continuously asked them to check his medication and they won't , the doctor states he needs the medication and will not acknowledge my concerns at all , but funny thing is when he stops the medication for about 3_4 days his symptoms resolve and he looks really well , this time his medication was only stopped for 1 day before I took him to hospital as I wanted to see if there was any evidence of toxicity but they never tested for it, I really don't. no what to do or who to make a

complaint to its being going on now for so long and I always see the signs of just before it all starts yet no doctor or hospital nurse has ever asked me what my observation's was and I'm

His carer as well as his partner, and if I try and mention anything I always seem to be wrong , thank you once again for your

Reply its very much appreciated

• Posted

I just checked all this medication with a drug interaction website that I will send you....via PM message.  It is a great site.

Digoxin is interacting with 4 of these drugs MODERATELY. 

2 of them make digoxin stronger.

1 of them makes it weaker.

And 1 of them will interact dangerously if there are any kidney problems.

I will send you the website...you can't print the interaction results and bring them with you to the next appointment!

• Posted

You can check drug interactions on the internet:I just che4cked digoxin against Verapamil and called my doctor; he wants to see me again before continuing with the prescription.  Be safe -- you have  every right to ask your  doctor to explain what he prescribed,  why, how it works, side effects, and any dangerous interactions.  They aren't gods -- that's why they PRACTICE medicine,  Best  wishes.
  • Posted

Rebecca - Get a second opinion from another doctor.  You have every right to do

that.  Also, the hospital should have someone who is a patient representative: their only job is to speak for the patient:  insist on what you need in terms of information. 

Don't be afraid of the doctors: they aren't gods.

lAll best --   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.