Levothyroxine newbie with menstrual cycle concern.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey, I'm a 29yr old female and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid a year ago following a mixture of mild symptoms but my doc at the time said it wasn't anything to worry about at this stage and to try a kelp substitute for the time being, so I did. Fast forward a year, no improvement so my current doc put me on 50mg three weeks ago as my reading was 9.7. I'm due a three monthly blood test to evaluate the levels again. I've since stopped taking the Kelp.

Only concern at present is that I've just started my third period in the space of five weeks. My periods are always really regular and 'easy', so this is definitely unusual for me. I asked my GP if this was anything to worry about the second time I came on and he said no but keep an eye on it. I've had no other significant changes as yet. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers in advance! Em ???

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Em, well remember that you are dealing with an unstable metabolism and hormones, so to have your periods affected would not be unusual. Also it depends what other contraception you are taking along with this (more hormones). For example, the mini pill is different from the "pill", which behaves differently again from the depo injection - so all these play their part on your body as well. I'm not a doctor, obvioulsy, but yeah, keep a note of things that have changed since starting on Levo, and discuss them with your GP. They will be able to tell you in more detail (hopefully!) what to expect and how to manage it. Sorry I can't be of more help - I know how Levo has affected me, and everyone on here has their own story to tell - but I will advise on pushing for second opinions if you aren't happy with anything. Nobody knows your body better than you - even if they HAVE had 7 years training and citing from a medical textbook! :D best of luck.

• Posted

Hi, Em, remember that you have been diagnosed with hypothyroid disease, which slows your metabolism, so now it looks like your current level of treatment may be speeding your metabolism up too much.  I am puzzled as to why your doctor did not start with 25mg, then wait 8 weeks for more bloods, and consider the results.  Then possibly raising the dose, this is the way i have usually been treated.  This, for me, has applied to levo and other thyroid replacement meds.  I would go back to the GP immediately as levo builds up over 6 to 8 weeks, and you are only 5 weeks in - the easiest thing you can do is know what your normal resting pulse was - itwhich will have been lower when you became hypothyroid - so you can check if your average daily pulse is the same as that was, and also to be able to assess your normal range of mood change, normal range of breathing,  and temperature , then, as the weeks go on, ask yourself if you have any sign of pulse speeding, spells of overheating,  spells of unusual anxiety or restlessness, any feeling of breathlessness, or any weight loss -  you may be going slighly hyperthyroid and certainly need a blood test. Remember to have the test soon after waking. It is all about balance, and needs change over time - your metabolism is not necessarily static. Best of luck,
  • Posted

Hi there!

I have been on 0.75mg levo and have found that it affects my periods too but in a positive way, eg. Less cramps, shorter cycle.

So i would say that youre not alone on that one but if you have any concerns you should see your doctor.

You could also perhaps try getting a period tracker on your mobile so you can see how it progresses over the next few months? Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.