Levothyroxine newbie with menstrual cycle concern.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I'm a 29yr old female and was diagnosed with underactive thyroid a year ago following a mixture of mild symptoms but my doc at the time said it wasn't anything to worry about at this stage and to try a kelp substitute for the time being, so I did. Fast forward a year, no improvement so my current doc put me on 50mg three weeks ago as my reading was 9.7. I'm due a three monthly blood test to evaluate the levels again. I've since stopped taking the Kelp.

Only concern at present is that I've just started my third period in the space of five weeks. My periods are always really regular and 'easy', so this is definitely unusual for me. I asked my GP if this was anything to worry about the second time I came on and he said no but keep an eye on it. I've had no other significant changes as yet. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers in advance! Em ?🏻

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Elwoodbear, after years of hypothyroid disease, I can tell you that double periods are a sure symptoms of low thyroid. I find it particularly interesting that the levothyroxin would prompt these double periods, as I've come to call them. 

This is tells you that your thyroid disease is to the point that you likely have adrenal exhaustion, followed by low progesterone... All triggered by the hypothyroid disease.

Now, the fact that the symptoms heightened after starting levothyroxin is extremely concerning, as if the drug has pushed you over the edge. Please read the side effects of thus drug, as it is known to worsen thyroid disease. It actually triggers and worsens  the autoimmune response responsible for thyroid disease.

Get yourself a NDT medication or ThyroGold supplements. Dump the kelp, as it is not the limiting factor and excessive iodine can be toxic. Worse, kelp supplements nowadays often contain high levels of radioactive iodine, which can worsen thyroid disease. So if you do feel you need a kelp supplement in the future, be sure to research your products.

The limiting factor in thyroid disease can often be amino acids, as thyroxin is composed of an amino acid bound to iodine. In addition, amino acids are required for the chemical reactions that allow thyroxin to work in the body. This is why in addition to amino acids, thyroid patients get relief from a high protein diet.

There are many diet and supplements that can help, as well as many that don't. Also note that thyroid disease can be caused by heavy metal toxicity from mercury and bromine. So cleansing and detoxing can be helpful.

My experience with the prescription meds was unsuccessful after five years and 8 different medications. I take essential amino acid supplements and find they are more effective than any medication.

I also care for my mother who has a history of thyroid disease, and she takes ThyroGold. It's unfortunate that she didn't have this simple OTC medication decades earlier.

• Posted

When I started my levothyroxine, my periods were a bit more frequent also.  It took me about 6 to 8 weeks before my body was used to my dose and for different side effects to go away.  It took a couple months for my periods to become regular again.  It can take some time.  So try to be patient.  Also.. you are on a higher then normal starting dose, as the standard starting dose is 25mcg.  But if you are otherwise feeling good on that dose, then you might as well stay on it.  Best wishes..
  • Posted

Good luck with your thyroid levels.  It's not always easy to get them just right and ususally any change in treatment takes a few weeks to reflect in bloodwork.  

• Posted

Yes.. I definitely agree with you. Elwoodbear, it took myself over a year to get to the optimal TSH of 1.00 that my endo keeps his patients at. 
  • Posted

Hi there,

My wife has been using levo for about three weeks now. Her period is late for 8 days after her normal/ regular time. She has her breasts swollen and depressed. Is this normal?

Pleas help.

• Posted

Hi Rawand,

Sadly, it is typical for levothyroxin to change the female cycle- generally lighter and longer cycles. Many people complain of cycle changes with levothyroxin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.