Levothyroxine or hypo related - bitter/sour taste

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm at a loss sad

One day last November I awoke with a 'bitter' taste in my mouth.

Several visits to my GP later and I'm still not much further forward.

I'm a 43 year old female. In October 2013 I was diagnosed hypothyroid and began treatment of 50mg levothyroxine per day. Because the bitter taste started relatively soon after beginning the medication, I put 2 and 2 together and thought it was causing the taste. But, no, I took myself off the medication for 3/4 weeks over Christmas and still had the bitter taste.

I've drastically altered my diet as I thought certain foods made it worse but can't pinpoint one particular allergy or sensitivity.......

I've changed toothpaste, tried mouthwash, cut out tea, milk, all dairy, and mainly eat very healthily - fruit, veggies and chicken.

My GP suggested LPR (silent acid reflux) but it doesn't taste like 'acid' - it's just bitter/sour.

I've been on Gaviscon after every meal for over a month and Ranitidine for almost 2 weeks. The symptoms persist still sad

My mouth can get quite dry, and the bitter taste seems to be on my tongue and/or the roof of my mouth or around a wisdom tooth on one side.

I can't cope with this for much longer. It only eases up when either sleeping or eating.

Anyone know what it is or has experiences anything similar please?

Thank you xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you snore? Or have you asked GP if you can have an endoscopy? What is your sleep like - do you feel like you have not had any? Ever wake up suddenly, coughing? Could be anything.
  • Posted

I have had this too, for weeks now and the GP did the same, gave me stuff for dyspepsia and told me to visit the dentist!! I haven't been and probably won't go, I've never been to a dentist in my life, have never had a reason to. It seems to be improving a bit but its cost me a small fortune in extra strong mints!!
  • Posted

Why would he send you to a dentist? If you have a stomach acid problem, you need to see a gastro doctor. I would recommend at least an annual trip to your dentist. My neighbour's life was saved when hers found an oral cancer. Dentists look for specific problems which your GP would not necessarily do. Also if you do not care for your teeth it can lead to heart disease. Lucky for you if you have nothing wrong with your teeth though!
  • Posted

I wondered if I would be allowed to request a different brand of Levothyroxine when I go and collect my prescription from the chemist? I'm currently on Mercury Pharma 50mg

Although I took a 3 week break, maybe that wasn't enough to get it out if my system?

I'm clutching at straws but it seems a strange coincidence that I've never had anything like this awful taste in my mouth for 43 years and then I start on levothyroxine in October and by mid November I get this?

Anyone any experience with asking their chemist for an alternative??

• Posted

I'm late to this discussion, but have just started noticing this same issue.  I started with 25mcg Levo, moved to 50 mcg and by the third month of treatment, was on 75 mcg.  My GP settled on this dosage and starting my 2nd month at this dosage I have started noticing this indescribable taste in my mouth.  Did your GP come up with a solution?

• Posted

Hi ive been on thyroid medication for years

with same taste in my mouth along with many other problems its my conclusion after stopping the tablets for 4 months

its the tablets that is causing the bitter taste dry mouth and 90 percent of my other problems

i dont advocate you stop the tablets

but ive been absolutely fabulous off them

on returning back on the tablets i got the acidic taste all the feelings from before

so im going to pay to see someone

i want to feel the way i did off the meds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.