Levothyroxine reduced - now received blood results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone

Following my posts last month I asked the GP for blood test results:

January 0.08  March 0.04.  Still not entirely sure what this means.

I have been looking at other recent posts and so many symptoms match mine - mental confusion, brain fog, itchy sore scalp, ridged splitting nails, morning cough.

My memory used to be so good but now I find it hard to remember anything.  I have put it down to my depression/anxiety but maybe thyroid?

I was recommended to try Gingko Biloba but forgot to take it! (don't laugh!)

I have an irritating cough in the morning which is worse when I talk, I always thought this was a nervous problem.  The GP has prescribed Omeprazole as she thinks its due to acid reflux.

At the weekend I woke in the night with unbearable stomach pain and almost fainted, it still hurts now but not so bad.

I feel like a hypochondriac listing all this but wonder if its all connected to hypothyroidism?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi

No you are not a hypochondriac.

Acid reflux.

The signs and symptoms fit in with Reflux but have you had investigations for this?

Has your GP advised you about diet and sleeping raised up on several pillows for the reflux?

Jean

• Posted

No I have not been advised about diet.  I try to eat a healthy diet but my downfall is chocolate, biscuits, ice cream (in fact anything sweet) and I know its just comfort eating. I am putting on weight which makes me feel worse.

I will try sleeping propped up to see if this helps.

Thanks for your advice

• Posted

Hello libbyt

You are very welcome.

I can advise re diet in regard to reflux.

Basically you need to avoid any spicy, acidic foodstuffs.

Bland foods minus fatty, spicy sauces are adviseable.

Bearing in mind your recent stomach pain which you describe as acute I would avoid any fruit for a few days.

Omemaprazole is helpful as it is one of a group of fr drugs called PPIs's.  Proton Pump Inhibitors. I would advise looking up the side effects of PPI's and their side effects. The side efects can be horrendous and the PIL says that that PPI's are not intended for long term use.

PPI's stop nutrients being absorbed leading to nutritional disorders. They can also cause cardiac problems and peripheral neuropathy.

However I have to endorse this by writing to see your GP about this because I do not know the full extent of your medical history and apart from Reflux disease why the PPI's were prescribed.

Best thing to do is to read up on the side efefects and then make a judgment as to whetehr or not these pills could be responsiblee or exacerbating existing conditions.

Do you have a hiatus hernia?

Take care

Jean x

• Posted

It felt the same sort of pain as I had 3 years ago when I had gallstones, however my gall bladder was removed so I know its not that.  After the op I was vomiting a lot and prescribed omeprazole which helped settle my stomach.  I took them for over a year until no longer needed.
  • Posted

Libbbyt;

I would suggest that you be tested for helicobacter pylori. It is a very common bacterial infection that harms beneficial flora. I believe that there is a blood test for helicobacter pylori, but there is definitely another procedure that a gastrointerologist performs using an endoscope (anesthesia) down your nose/throat. If you choose not to be tested for helicobacter pylori, completely eliminate any form of sugar from your diet for 6-8 weeks, to test if the sugar is (partly?) the culprit. You should also increase your friendly flora by consuming fermented foods. If you can, try a good kefir product. Make sure the kefir is plain, because the flavored ones have added sugar. If you can't tolerate the sourness, try adding to a low sugar, high fiber cereal, or try other foods that help with beneficial flora; jerusalem artichokes, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc.), blueberries, souerkraut, beans, and others. Psyllium husks are said to be beneficial, but some people can't tolerate psyllium. Consult with your GP or a health food agent/manager. Also, please have your water checked. If you can, purchase a quality water filter/purifier that doesn't remove beneficial minerals. Also, have you had your blood/saliva/urine ph tested?  You can purchase a ph test strip, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. You can also purchase a blood ph test kit, but I think that they can be expensive, and you probably will have to rely on lab for results. Of course, the best way is at your doctor's office. If it is discovered that you have helicobacter pylori, or even gastritis, then more than likely, your doctor will prescribe antibiotics. This is when you should absoultely consume foods which increase your beneficial flora, because many, if not all, antibiotics are believed to destroy all bacteria, which includes the beneficial gut flora. Some people highly recommend apple cider vinegar for acid reflux (other benefits also). I don't know if it works or not, but I do know that I've consumed it for a few months (diluted in water) and my system can't tolerate it.

Proton-pump inhibitors remove beneficial minerals, vitamins, which can cause a host of health problems. They were originally meant to be used short-term (2-6 weeks). I have a number of family members and friends who take these medicines, long-term,  and every one of them are also taking additional supplements; vitamin B-12, (which rely's on an acidic gut environment) iron, and magnesium. They never took these supplements until they were on the proton-pump inhibitors.  I would first change my diet (avoid as much sugar as possible, and increase beneficial flora containing foods), check to see what's in my water, and remove as much stress (sleep well, engage in things that reward your spirit/mind/body, and if you can, disengage from people who cause stress) from your life as possible. If these things don't help with your acid reflux, then I would take the proton-pump inhibitors. 

Btw, are you a vegetarian/vegan?

• Posted

Jay

I would agree. However proton pump inhibitors can cause cardiac disease.

Perhaps the signs and symptoms of reflux can be controlled without PPIS

THey seem to create more roblems that they solve. PPI's can also cause neurpathy as previously stated.

I have a repprt from a Consultant Endo about the [email]PPI@S[/email] and Statins causing all manner of nasty conditions.

Jean

• Posted

Jean; 

Yes, I agree that they can cause cardiac problems. That is why I mentioned that PPI's can cause a host of health problems.

I was diagnosed with acid reflux disease in 2002, and I went to a gastroenterologist (Romania) who educated me on the importance of acid in the stomach. He also was not a proponent of PPI's. He gave me a three course dose of antibiotics, but I never took them. I decided to completely change my diet, (no sugar, soda, pre-packaged foods, etc...) and added probiotics (initially consumed yogurt, until I noticed how much sugar they contain....now consuming plain kefir) fresh ginger, organic lemons limes (especially the peel) green vegetables, (lettuce, spinach, broccoli, kale) berries, (limited amount of sugary fruits) and organic chicken (occasionally, beef). I have only had two occasions within 13 years that I noticed acid reflux symptoms. Admittedly, within those 13 years, I consumed a few foods that were not healthy, but only in moderation. And, when I did eat these unhealthy foods, I made certain that I countered them with healthy foods.  Also, when I had those flare-ups, I just let it run its course (no more than 2-3 days).

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Firstly I am not a vegetarian or vegan.

I'm not a great meat eater, mostly chicken & minced beef (spag bol)

I regularly eat broccoli and cauliflower & other veg such as carrots and green beans.

I know my main problem is probably sugar.  I have fat free plain yogurt for breakfast with no added sugar/salt muesli plus a few walnuts.

Last night I decided not to take the Mepradec and have not so far had any stomach pain so will leave them off for a while.

I was on a course of antibiotics a few weeks ago.  Do you think acidophilus tablets would be beneficial? I had not heard of kefir but will find out if available locally.

• Posted

Libbyt;

I am not a big fan of probiotic supplements, mainly because some of them can cause a die-off response; bloating, gas, nausea, and other conditions. I prefer consuming plain kefir, because I have discovered the active live cultures work better for me than pills or commercial yoghurt. 

I have found that walnuts cause me gastric upset. I have read that it's a good idea to rinse/soak the walnuts before consuming them, but I don't know if I would like rinsed walnuts....:-).

• Posted

Hi Libby

It sounds silly but if you have got acid reflux, which can be very painful and leaves you sore after an attack, putting a brick or piece of wood under the back 2 legs of your bed helps, it keeps you slightly elevated when sleeping, since I did this I have not suffered with acid much and I know a lot of people that have success after doing this.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks yorkrose I will give it a try and it doesn't sound silly!

• Posted

Hello Libbyt:

I am an RN -Nurse and live in the USA.

I think you are refering to your TSH Level saying it is 0.04 in March?  Normal TSH level should be between 0.34 & 5.60.  Sounds to me like Hypothyroidism.   You need to be on a thyroid replacement hormone to make your level come up.  Are you on that yet?

You have a lot of the symptoms of a low thyroid level.  So once you get that solved you will see some of these symptoms go away.

GERD (Acid Reflux) comes from acid getting up into your throat from your stomach. Now it should not be there, but you can take the Omeprazole and see if it helps.  Some people follow a GERD diet plan and you can ask your Gastroenterologist for it or google it.  Also you need to look into do you have an ulcer or bacteria problem as that can be the cause also.  They can test for the bacteria.

Avoid  spicy foods and keep yourself upright for about 45 mins after eating.  Don't just lie down. Sleep on a few pillows or prop up the bed at the head by putting a plank of wood or several hard books, under the bed frame at the head of the bed. You can buy a wedge that makes it easy to keep your head up at a bed store.

If the med causes you pain -report that to the doctor as soon as you can.  Most people take it everyday and have no problems but you may be different.

Be well.  Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelley, I think you meant to write that low TSH suggests HYPERthyroidism!
    • Posted

Hello Barbara:

Oh I meant Hyper - sorry I get confused myself.  LOL. 

• Posted

Lol. The problem for me is when doctors say hypo and hyper it's often difficult to distinguish which one they've said!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.