Levothyroxine - Sunbed/Sun?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am newly diangnosed with severe hypothyroidism and started on Levothyroxine.  I am due to go on holiday abroad ( a bit anxious, due to my health) and wonder if it is safe to use sunbeds and is there any side effects being in the sun?  

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I have not heard anything about avoiding the sun, after all we get vit D from it so it should be good for you as long as you dont get burned.

I am going abroad in about 3 weeks which my doctor knows about and i will definately be soaking up some well deserved rays !.

Rose

I am not medically trained these are my opinions.

• Posted

PS I dont think t is ever a good idea to use sunbeds, but that is my personal opinion, if you want to look brown for your hols spray tans are fab and safe smile.

Rose

• Posted

I'm sure it will do you good! I've also never heard anything negative and love being in the sun. I don't use sun beds as they make me bring me out in a rash but I have never connected this to being hypo. 

• Posted

I've got severe  Graves hyper active thyroid....ive just been kn a cruise.

i sunbathed and enjoyed it.

the only activity which caused problems and made me I'll on return with exhaustion and palpitations, was overdoing it with sightseeing, walking and lots of new places to walk around.

this seemed to make me worse.

sunbathe gently.

as with anything with hyperacr

tivity .....moderation ! 

• Posted

Sun beds are never safe.  It's much safer to get healthy amounts of natural sun without burning.  But as far as the meds go, I don't think they increase your chances of burning.
  • Posted

Hello Sharon:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

I live in a very sunny state in the USA and sun bathing can lead to basal and squamous carcinomas and also melanomas.  Even sun beds use. 

Certain blood pressure meds are contraindicated with sunlight.  Thyroid meds are okay with sun exposure but skin cancer can happen with fair skinned people who burn.

Of course you can have a lay in the sun but please use Sun protection sunscreen as getting skin cancer is not worth looking tan for.  Excessive sun exposure is not good.

I hope this helps.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.