Levothyroxine vs armour

Posted , 5 users are following.

i was on armour for a year and didnt seem to see a difference. they only out me on 30mg of armour and when we moved to 60mg they said it was making me hyper? well the military base doesnt carry armour and i got tired of paying 20 dollars a month when i can get a 90day supply free so theh switched me over to 25mcg of levo. ive been on it a week ans have lost almost 9lbs. i also started plexus too around the same time so dont know if its the levo or plexus helping me.

id like to hear from those who liked levo over armour?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i should also add that today i am tired. ive felt really good ans today i juat want to sleep.

• Posted

Hello Kibes, Read the many posts about levothyroxin and unacceptable side effects. You'll get an earful.

Armour, worked pretty well initially. I was able to find a doctor who could help me get the dosage right. When it was a bit high, it caused anxiety. Though I didn't know this was a side effect of thyroid meds, so I wasn't looking for it. Armour had some additives that were triggering my immune system, so after about a year, I switched to Naturethroid. It worked fine until about 2013 when the formulations seemed to change. By then I'd moved and went to a new doc who refused to prescribe Armour.

The Levo was a nightmare from the start and seemed to trigger massive water retention, migraines so bad I feared I would have a stroke, I gained massive amounts of weight very rapidly and in three months went from a size XS blouse to an XL. When I went to the urgent care the doc was very concerned. When I followed up with an endo, she was zero help.

I found a gp who had been trained in Eastern Europe who was very good at dosing. But after two years, I couldn't get the dose stable and was bedridden with broken bones caused by bone deterioration from the high doses of Levo. The Levo didn't work at any dose and actually caused my previously stable thyroid cyst to more than double in size.

I then switched to an OTC bovine glandular. I was starting to feel better when I realized the formulation had changed and I was having an obvious wheat reaction. I was so ill from the wheat contamination that I quit cold turkey, which was horrible. I subtituted with high doses of essential amino acids and phenylalanine, which helped the worst of the symptoms. But I still gained more weight.

At that point I'd tried a dozed or so different meds. All of them had side effects, all had formulation changes, the prescription dose was less reliable than non prescription. The allowable variation in dosage is +/- 10% so you can get as much as a 20% variation between prescription lots.

All of these meds supress the pituitary's production of TSH, which lowers your own production of thyroxin. So you have to keep going to higher doses.

I gave up on the meds. I feel they could be useful for short term protocol to help reboot the thyroid gland, or for longterm use only for persons who have no thyroid gland.

I did extensive research and my conclusion, in spite of my clearly advanced thyroid disease with many contributing factors, is that thyroid disease can be curbed substantially by improving nutrition. I found that essential amino acid supplementation is more effective than anything else at treating thyroid disease.

The other major contributing factor I found for myself is chronic pancreatitis, likely caused by sluggish gallbladder/liver. The low body temp from hypothyroid disease causes a huge liver/ gallbladder problem which can lead to pancreatitis. The chronic pancreatitis can result in every gut problem imaginable, resulting in malnutrition.

There are many other things I've done to improve my health, but I feel the combination of treating the chronic pancreatitis along with essential amino acids and high dose vitamin and mineral supplements have really helped. It took about 2.5 years since quitting the thyroid meds completely to start getting things on track. I also go regularly to acupuncture, which has been incredibly helpful. Keep in mind, by the time I quit the meds, I was bedridden and extremely sick form the meds, and still had to deal with the thyroid issues.

The good news is that, as I always thought, I just needed the right combo of things and I'd start dropping weight like a bomb. I'd been doing my swim workout for several months and was still gaining weight, so I kept going with the workouts and stopped weighing myself. I was delighted when last night I weighed myself and I'd lost 15 pounds! I feel so relieved and I feel like I'm finally on track to getting my health back! Woohoo!

• Posted

I've been Lethyroxine a good many years and yes i took lost a far bit of weight when first starting it but that soon stops i assure you and it also becomes a battle to try and loose more. Seems after being put on it, it does let you loose some pounds but it is short lived.

I have gained nearly 2st from last year and I've not been eating more than normal either.

I often wonder when it says on some side effects..weight gain..how come if you dont eat more than you did? I would love to know how this happens surely the tablets themselves cannot put the weight on you now i don't mean the weight of the tablet I'm only referring to whats in the tablet but that seems doubful to me.

• Posted

I've just got its metabolism thats effected meds can slow that down. Thats not fixable either and the med responsible will be the one thats cannot be done without...bummer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.