Lexapro

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been taking lexapro for anxiety for the first 3 weeks it was 5mg and for the last 2 1/2 weeks bumped it up to 10mg. I know it's a low dose but I have been having all kinds of weird side effects. The normal ones like headaches, nauseous, but lately I've been feeling very out of it, like my mind just doesn't feel like my normal self. I'm not sure if that is depersonalization or what but it's just a weird feelin that I can't explain that makes me not feel like myself. I know it can take 6 weeks to work and get in your system but I'm very defeated and just want to feel like myself again. Has anyone else had anything similar to this or take them a while for it to wrk for them?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes i stop taking them

My counselor prescribed me passion flower from the vitamin store

• Posted

How long were you on lexapro? And what did the lexapro make you feel like?
    • Posted

Yea sometimes i will walk outside and things just look weird. Not like I'm hallucinating but just things look and feel weird. It happens when I first started on Paxil years ago. I hate it and I hate how sensitive I am to the medicine. Like feeling all the side effects. It's frustrating
    • Posted

Yes im still that way. I drink lots of water to get it out of my system
    • Posted

Yea I hate it. It's so weird. That's what in trying to do too.
  • Posted

10mg may be just too high for you.  I am very sensitive to medications.  I would go back to the 5mg & then discuss it with your doc.  Maybe 3 weeks was too soon for you to go stronger.

Hope you figure it out.

• Posted

Yea I agree! I do think it's too much. Thank you for your advice!
  • Posted

Some people can be extremly sensetive to SSRI. Ask your doctor if he can allow you to be on 5 mg for some more time till your body gets used to low dose. Also see possibality of adding some more medication like Pregabalin or Clonazepam or Lorazepam for short term duration for acute Anxiety. Remember Clonazepam or Lorazepam are highly habit forming and addictive hence take only for short term duration. Many times coupling CBT with Anxiety medication helps.
    • Posted

Thank you! I was actually taking Xanax for about 5 weeks for panic attacks and sleep but they really messed with my head.but I was also taking it everyday bc im a bit of an insomniac. So every so often I will take a clonazepam when needed now. I haven't tryed cbt but I am seeing a therapist who I really like. It's just taking time for the lexapro to really work. I jus hope it does bc the last thing I want to do is have to try another medication, with all the side effects I get and have had from other ssri's trying new ones is really hard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.