Lexapro 5mg for anxiety and depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am pregnant and getting ready to have a baby in a few short weeks. I have always suffered with anxiety and depression. Before getting pregnant, I was on lexapro 20mg. When I got pregnant I stopped taking the medication because I didnt want my baby consuming the medication as well. I did really well up until the past two weeks. I havent had any complications with my pregnancy, but there has been a lot of stress the past few months. I have also suffered from harm ocd in the past. I was on zoloft at the time and seen a therapist and ended up getting past it. I noticed a few weeks ago my ocd was starting again. I know I would never act on those thoughts, and I dont want to. But they do cause so much distress. So I talked to my OB and decided to go ahead and start some medication, since I'm having so much anxiety and already experiencing depression. He started me on Zoloft 25mg. I took it for a week and I just couldn't stand how I felt. I know it gets worse before better, but it just made my negative thoughts 100x worse. And I probably should have waited it out but I didn't. So I switched to lexapro 5mg. My last dose of zoloft was on Tuesday, and Wednesday was my first dose of lexapro. I feel so much more horrible than I did even before starting medication. My mind just wont stop racing. Horrible images always in my head, and it just keeps getting worse and worse. I cant focus or concentrate. And its just making me so depressed. I just want to feel good again and not have such negative thoughts. I feel like im never going to get there, and my mind will never be mine again. I just need some encouragement. I know I have to give the medication time, because I'm not giving them enough time to work. Its just so hard to keep taking something that makes you feel awful. I need to be on something so my baby has a healthy mommy. But at this point Im just ready to give up. This is suppose to be the happiest time of my life, and because of what im going through mentally, its definitely not. I have a huge support system. And i am very open with my SO and my family about what im going through. And they have all been amazing. I just need someone to tell me that they did finally get relief from lexapro. And that these thoughts and images, and depression all will eventually fade. I've been through this before, but it just wasnt this horrible. And I'm sure with my crazy pregnancy hormones, and anxiety and post partum depression, and switching of medications has really just done a number on me. And the mood swings do not help! I'm also not sure if the zoloft can still be in my system as well and messing with me, and then trying to just adjust to the lexapro too has anything to do with it. Im sorry for the long rant, I just feel so hopeless and discouraged 😦

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tlynn,

First up - my congratulations on your forthcoming birth! This will, I am sure, brighten up your life. Anxiety and depression often gets better with distraction, and when the lil'un comes, there will be plenty of that for sure!

Regarding the Zoloft - I too went on this for a week and had hell of a time, but after 7 days, it WILL still be in your system. It has a long half-life of around 24 hours, so there is plenty guilt-up inside your system. Bringing on the Lexapro straight away was a genius move! Your head will be properly messed up. Ideally you would have had a period to ride out the Zoloft. The effects will wear off, but the cocktail will not have made things easy. Around 7-10 days should see you clear of the Zoloft mini-withdrawal leaving you with only the start-up effects of the Lexapro. Be prepared as these have the potential to be nasty to - but you know the drill.

Now I know you want encouraging words that will tell you that the Lexapro will work, but I am afraid I do not believe in telling people something I cannot know. However. Lexapro has a very good reputation after many journal research articles as being the drug that outperforms the rest. So you have a good chance of this one working. I didn't have the huge depressive side effects that came with the Zoloft either, so that's another plus point!

I hope this helps Tlynn, just give the Lexapro some time - it can take a good few weeks (10-12) for all side effects to completely go. Wishing you well for the sake of you, your family, and of course the new addition!

Matt

• Posted

hi matt and thank you for your response. Im feeling so hopeless at this point. Im doing my best to keep going at it with the medicine its just so discouraging when you are trying to better yourself, and you feel worse than you did before you even started. I have been so excited and so happy up until this point. Im becoming a mom and I have no excitement or happiness at all, like my depression just sucked it all away from me. You almost feel betrayed by your own mind.. I know that sounds crazy but seems like the best way to explain it. Im really hoping with having both meds in my system is really what made it so much worse and hopefully it will get easier. I just want to feel happy and like myself again 😕

• Posted

Have you been on other pregnancy or "mother-orientated" forums? All the hormones that are flying around inside you can do some very strange things and there will be plenty of people who are suffering the same as you.

But yes, I know all about being worse off than when you started! My doctors switched me between three pills in the space of 4 months and I have been paying for it ever since. The list of physical symptoms is huge, and the fact that I am not seeing any rest from it is making me really depressed. Changing meds so quickly and frequently is such a bad idea. It can really create so much havoc on our systems.

As I said before, Lexapro is a often a safe bet, so I would stick with this one. Bear in mind that people have said that it can be a slow acting drug, so please be prepared to go the distance with it. Typically side effects will start and reach peak within 7-10 days, and should start to ease off around the end of the third week, with some lingering for week 4 and 5 potentially, but manageable. Anything outside of these margins and I would suggest speaking to GP, but hopefully it will not come to that.

• Posted

Hi Tlynn,Congratulations on your soon to be new baby,such a wonderful gift from God. I have been on lexapro for a few months for anxiety and depression and it has definitly helped. I feel so much better. The anxiety is just about gone and the thoughts are so lessened and I can make more sense of them. Lexapro works very gradually. You must give this medication a lot of time. Work very close with your doctor and therapist, they are there for you. I was recommended a book titled "At Last A Life" author Paul David. This book has helped me so much. As if it was explaning my personal issues that I have been going through. Best of luck to you and God Bless you and your baby.

• Posted

Hi Pam!

while going around the forum, I have read some of yours.

You seem to feel better.

Im taking lexapro since 5 months almost 6. I started at 10mg. Then 15mg. March and april, my anxiety are still there and also feeling soo tired. Probably the anxiety doesnt help my fatigue.

My doctor just suggest To increase To 20mg....or add abilify. I chose increasing because Im kind of scared of abilify !!!

I have read that you take 20mg for anxiety and also had issues with tiredness. Do you still take it half in morning and half at night?

How long did it took To Feel better???

Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi Lolita, I am taken 20mg of lexapro(genetic) for 9 months now and it definitely has helped my anxiety.I take the 20mg at one time now,7:30pm.I did take 10mg in the morning and 10 in the evening but it didn't seem to make a difference. I am starting not to be so tired and dizzy but I have just started to feel this way. praying that the anxiety continues to improve. This is a very long process! but it gets better. I found a book titled At Last A Life by Paul David,it has helped me alot, and have recommended it to others. Good luck and hang in their. God Bless. Keep me posted. Pam

• Posted

Thanks Pam!

Wow! 9 months la a long road but Im almost 6 so I will gang in there.

Have you been on 20mg since the start???

I just increased To 17.5 since 2 days, my anxiety and feeling of drowsy and tired are definitly there even with this tiny increase. I have clonazepam to help so thats okay. A bit of hearth palpitations but I that can be anxiety. My anxiety is the reason of my increased!

I will also try To move slowly To late afternoon intake. Now, I take it around mid day.

Thanks for the book suggestion and your reply.

Im happy To hear your anxiety is better!

• Posted

Hi Lolita, Yes,I have been on lexapro 20mg for 9 months. I started on 10mg for a few weeks earlier but went to 20 mg pretty quickly. I use a very small amount of klonopin for sleep. I do still have some morning anxiety but it is better. I started to take yoga and meditation classes which helps me. Also keeping busy with other people seems to relieve the anxiety. Take care and God Bless. Keep me posted.Pam.

• Posted

Hi Tlynn,

Today I can tell you more encouraged words with my story. I am on Lexapro 5mg 10 days and then 10mg 15 days. As I told you I had a stress talking with friends in relaxed moments.

Yesterday I had a lot of stress and negative thinking before going to a friendly couple's new house. But we got there and fortunately I was about my old self again. Very talkative and about ok. So I was wondering...thanks God the med is starting work.

Today I am feeling better too, more calm.

I think matts told you a real truth. Anxiety and depression need distraction. Are you sure that you are working on it? Make a plan of your day. Get as many projects you can. To be always busy...ok you cannot make many in present, but to be always around people and express what you feel. Our mind, I know is right now stick to the negative thinking and its like a prison. Its normal. And of couse as you said its the pregnancy hormons. But you know this. Had you seen in the past good results with your therapy with Lexapro? You will see again ...it is 100% sure....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.