Lexapro and morning anxiety

Posted , 66 users are following.

Hi does anyone find their anxiety is significantly higher in the mornings? Have been on Lexapro for 2 weeks now (1 week @5mg then 1 week @10mg.)

I find the morning anxiety awful upon waking, with racing thoughts and every problem even small ones seem overwhelming to the point of feeling nauseous. Will this subside? Dr has given me Diazepam which I find I'm taking every morning. Im new to Lexapro after previously being on Prozac and Mirtazapine (which I hated and asked Dr to change) although I still take 7.5mg at.night for sleep. Just want to feel normal again and wake up looking forward to the day and feeling positive about things rather than the dread I have now sad

2 likes, 180 replies

180 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Mornings were terrible for me too. It gets better, I promise. It took me 5 weeks for the lexapro to kick in all the way. I started on 5mg and worked my way up to 20mg. I think it was a week and a half at  20mg when it all kicked it. I noticed my anxiety in the mornings lasted shorter and shorter until I woke up feeling good and motivated. I did take klonopin in the morning and at night to curb the anxiety. I also had Ativan for when things got really bad. I took .25mg klonopin in the morning and a night so it was a low dose. Don’t be afraid to take the anxiety meds to get through this tough time. Hang in there, it gets better and know you not alone...so many people have been exactly where you are now. Lexapro has been great for me and I feel completely back to my normal self again. Lexapro is my first AD and I now know why people say to hang in there for the full 6-8 weeks bc it works. Just know your not alone. 
    • Edited

Thank you it's good to know it's not just me. I hate the feeling of uneasiness and how the slightest thing sends me into a panic with the churning stomach and lump in the throat. Its a horrible feeling. Have you been on it for a total of 5 weeks then or longer at what weeks did you increase? My Dr hasn't even mentioned an increase to 20mg she said 10mg is a good therapeutic dose although I know everyone's different.

• Edited

I started at 5mg, dr increased me after 5 days, then we increased three times after that to 10mg, then 15mg and finally 20mg. My dr had me increase each time because my anxiety wasn’t turning down much. I reached 20mg by week 4, and felt all the way better at 5 weeks. Everyone is different and I thought I would respond to a lower dose but 20mg works for me. Maybe it is time to consider increasing your dose but know that the first couple of days after an increase can be rough. I don’t think an increase will start your “work up clock” over again and you should know if it is a good dose after a week. I have a great dr (psychologist) and he specializes in medication management so I trusted him every step of the way and with his guidance he pulled me out of my anxiety. It has been over a month and half since my meds kicked in and I haven’t had a single panic attack or any anxious thoughts! You will get there soon!! 
    • Edited

i am feeling the same way...  i am glad i am not alone.. mornings are terrible.  been on 10 mg for 21 days and the doctor just up it to 15mg..  i am hoping that works.. also take xanax when needed..  please keep me in mind so maybe can get relief.. thank you 
    • Posted

im on 15 and still feel anxious or loopy or something, im worried the dose is too high because of the sode effects and also because every increase was very tough but other than night sweats sometimes and dry eyes i think anxiety is the only symptom that bothers me im scared to go to 20mg wondering how can it help im already on 15 please if you could help

• Edited

Hi Alex,

You should not worry, because that is the normal reaction of the brain and body adjusting to new medication, increased anxiety first couple of weeks or one month is normal, meaning medication is doing adjustments work.

Try to avoid diazepam and other benzos because they become addictive (use maybe twice a week if necessary).

Stick with medication at least 6 weeks.

Remember every increase of dose creates repeated side effects for another 2-3 weeks.

Good luck you will be ok soon..🙂

• Edited

Hi Miso

Are you on Lexapro if so how long and what dose are you on. I think part of it is being anxious anyway and overthinking too much. I'm going to cut the diazepam into 2.5mg and taper from there I think, I was already on Mirtazapine 30mg and did a cross taper as I heard so many bad stories about coming of Mirt but thankfully it was ok. Im still on 7.5mg for sleep but hope to also taper this down. Im glad there are forums like this as so many people just don't have a clue how anxiety and depression makes you feel. I honestly wouldn't wish it on anyone. 😕

• Posted

how long does morn anxiety last.. this is my 2nd time in lex. had a very hard time last year. weeks of anxiety which left me unable to sleep eat and function.. after a month of suffering I went onto lex and it helped so much went off it in Feb. last week I couldn't sleep one night and set myself off panicking that I was going to put myself back in a state and started back on meds.. day 9 of 5mg and feeling awful morning anxiety. didn't have it before i started the

• Posted

Hope you're better now. Dealing with the same misery. I was on celexa for years and got off of it... shouldn't have. Had major breakdown and trying to struggle out of it now. 8 days on 5mg Lexapro. Morning anxiety has been an issue since the start and it's so frustrating sometimes. My tummy just screams at me and I also have chills and quivery hands from it. Taking clonazepam morning and night but trying to keep it to a very small dose.

• Edited

Hi Alex, I have been on Lexapro 5mg for about a month. I too have high anxiety in the mornings.  When are you taking the pill? I was taking mine with dinner, but switched to morning the past few days to see of I feel better. I’m having trouble sleeping, which is the main reason I am changing the time of the dose. But now I’m experiencing daytime grogginess. I hope you start feeling better soon. 
    • Edited

Hi Deanna

I take mine at 8pm mainly started tgis so I would be asleep whilst the worst of the side effects happened although I still had nausea in the morning for a few days that has now subsided. I don't have a problem with sleeping as I'm still on a low dose of mirtazapine (7.5mg) which I take at 9pm. I actually think the combination of both help with sleep as I often fall asleep on the sofa by 10-10.30pm and my Dr was happy for me to continue with this combination.

I have read that it makes some people sleepy whilst other it's more activating.

Are you feeling any better and are you going to increase your dose?

I feel you on the morning anxiety it really isn't very pleasant is it. x

• Edited

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. So even with taking the pill in the morning, I’m still having some insomnia. I’m doubly tired from insomnia & from the drowsiness of the pill. I’m switching back to taking it with dinner around 7pm. My goal is to sleep without xanax. Most nights I’m not taking the Xanax to help sleep, but when I’m desperate I do. I now have this anxiety in my chest when I lay down to sleep, fearing I’ll be up the entire night. This is absolutely zero fun. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I’ve been eating a blander diet, so the GI symptoms have gotten somewhat better. 

• Edited

Hi Alex

I've been searching the message boards regarding this medication, and I'm so frustrated.  I was on Zoloft years ago, but I felt like a stepford wife on it, so my PCP switched me to Effexor XR 75 mg about 15 years ago.  It went generic, then the generic was discontinued and I started on the replacement for the discontinued generic and began having lots of break through anxiety.  Which is why I'm not Lexapro now.  The first week on 10 mg, I felt great!  The second week, I had horrible stomach pain.  3rd week, stomach pain gone, massive anxiety in the morning.  I did the research and talked to my dr. and she said that all of this is normal, that many of her new Lexapro patients had experienced exactly the same thing....especially the morning anxiety.  The best dose from what I understand is 20 mg.  My dr. decided to increase my dose to 20 mg after 3 weeks.  The morning anxiety was gone for about 3 days, but now I'm into my 7th day of 20 mg and I'm feeling the anxiety all over again.  This morning was the worst.  I usually pray every night and every morning, and recently started paying for the "calm" app to listen to when I can't sleep.  I also have been taking .5 mg of Ativan at night and try to avoid it during the day.  That's not helping anymore.  I think because I fall into such a deep sleep that when it wears off, my brain wakes up and the anxiety starts.

Everyone says to stick it out and by the 5-6 week, these side effects should go away.   I'm trusting that more than I care to admit, because for me, if it doesn't, I'll have to find another medicine that works, and frankly, not mentally up for weaning off another medication.  Effexor was a nightmare, but I did it! 

But honestly, I'm not crying as much because of the anxiety, I have "little butterflies" in my chest off and on through out the the day, but it's not enough to stop me in my tracks.  My husband (a PCP) notices a huge difference, and so does most of my family.  I just want to get leveled out on this.  I don't want to have to start over with something else!  So I'm just going to trust everyone that says it's going to get better.  Good luck to all of us and May God bless us all, he knows we're suffering with this. 

• Posted

Hi Tammy,

Just to inform you, every dose increase creates repeated side effects that can last weeks, so don't be disappointed, be patience, it is just or body is adjusting to new medications...

• Posted

I started Lexapro 20 days ago this is my 2nd week on 5mg. It's been a roller coaster but I'm going to hang in there.. my aniexty and panic and worry are better.. I don't get so upset ..my lie mood is here and there..I just stay a little anxious over when will it hit and what will it b.. which is aniexty for u... but overall better..some people would Think not but they would have to walk in my shoes 3 weeks ago and this would b a cake walk... lol so I'm going to stick 5 mg out for 2 more weeks and see how much better I feel if not better up it to 7.5mg.. Everyone take care...

• Posted

thank you so much for your words.  the 'little butterflies' you mentioned had me thinking for over two weeks that i was going to keel over with a heart attack.  hadn't had this much anxiety painic in over 25 years. been a very very hard winter here in the northeast.....just started my first lexapro yesterday. i took it after i brought it home at 5pm from the pharmacy.  i'm trusting all of you that say it works. i can't just read negative side effect info.  need to give this a chance. i'm bit insomniac so i take zolpidem at night. for that reason i think i'll try 5pm for lex. (when i get home from work) then take my zolp at 8pm. Hoping for the very very best and for you too...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.