Lexapro and morning anxiety

Posted , 66 users are following.

Hi does anyone find their anxiety is significantly higher in the mornings? Have been on Lexapro for 2 weeks now (1 week @5mg then 1 week @10mg.)

I find the morning anxiety awful upon waking, with racing thoughts and every problem even small ones seem overwhelming to the point of feeling nauseous. Will this subside? Dr has given me Diazepam which I find I'm taking every morning. Im new to Lexapro after previously being on Prozac and Mirtazapine (which I hated and asked Dr to change) although I still take 7.5mg at.night for sleep. Just want to feel normal again and wake up looking forward to the day and feeling positive about things rather than the dread I have now sad

2 likes, 180 replies

180 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone. Today i had my 2nd psychiatrist visit and he told i have to stop the diazapam altogether. I have been taking 2.5mgs everyday and sometimes twice a day depending on how bad i feel. This week is week 4 of lexapro 10mgs for me and i still feel anxious and i am really scared of cutting off the diazapam altogether. The doctor speaks as if its so easy to do this. In the meantime he put me on 0.5mgs of rivotril. Did anyone take diazapam for an extended period of time? I have been on it for abt 6mths now. I am scared of staying on it and terrified of coming off it. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks a million.
    • Posted

From someone who knows that it's in your best interest to not take it as your Dr. Has requested u to.. I would do as my Dr. Has said..Stop taking it..I really know what can happen if you continue it.. You will be ok.. It may be unpleasant for a day r 2 but just do it...continue posting when u need to..prayers sent your way...😊

• Posted

But with u being on Lexapro maybe it will have a better chance of kicking in ... 
    • Posted

Hi there. Diazapam is addictive. And you're taking up to 5 mgs a day. That's a lot. You really need to listen to your doctor!!!! Not sure cold turkey is the way to go, but tapering just like any other drug. Every few days take less and less until you are off entirely. If you do need it, take sparingly.

The other thing to is that you need to know how your antidepressant is working without covering up your baseline anxiety with diazapam.

Try vigorous exercise. That really helped me, and I use the "calm" app for breathing, etc. It's excellent! We just can't just take medicine and expect that to be the only thing to help us. I wish it were, though. Let us know how you're doing. God bless you!

• Posted

Today’s day 2 of decreasing Lexapro to 5mg. I’m praying the lexapro is the cause of my non existent appetite and nausea. I can’t stand that feeling anymore. I’m hopong once I’m off Lex I’ll feel better and not worse. It’s always a guessing game. sad
    • Posted

How are you getting on, I still have no appertight, and full of anxiety and now indegestion to, going into week 5 now, feeling more tired as well, won't take much more, but I do need to be on some sort of anti,

• Posted

I am on day 7 of decreasing to 5mg. My Dr said to stay at 5mg for a while and let things settle. I feel nauseated and gag every morning, shaky, headache and nervous in morning. I just want this to end. None of the meds agree with me for some reason. I tried Zoloft for 4 weeks and no help there and Lexapro 10mg for almost 5 weeks without and relief. That’s why she told me to decrease to 5mg and stay there. 

What dose are u on now and for how long? 

• Posted

I’m going on about a month and a half on Lexapro and I to still have the nervousness in the morning, and shakiness.  I take a half a tab 2.5mg in the morning, then 5 mg at 5pm and 10mg at 10pm.. I have noticed that with the 2.5mg in the morning it helps with the nervousness 
  • Posted

HI how long was you on it for, and what mg, i have not appertight till about 5 pm ,
    • Posted

That’s exactly how I feel. I’ve been on 10mg for 4 1/2 weeks. Just yesterday went down to 5mg cuz i want off it to see if that’s what’s causing no appetite. I gag at the thought, sight and smell of food all day until dinner time. And my morning anxiety is bad. I hope stopping the Lex is the answer. It’s a guessing game. 

How long Hv u been on Lex and what dose for u?

• Posted

HI I am 5mg , week 4, week 5 Saturday, wake up pure anxiety, it stays all day, only have cups of tea,, can just about eat half banana, went to doctors today, must stay on it 4 more weeks to see if it kicks in, went on it as I had a big anxiety attack 9 weeks ago, had trembling at first on it, if I wake in the night I can feel it the anxiety ready to pounce, she as given me gabipentin today to help with the anxiety, but not taking it yet, as have been on it before and two much makes you manic,I have 10mg of propranolol on bedside table ready for each morning , plus 1mg of diazapan which does nothing, I go downstairs and wrap myself up in blanket on sofa, and ride it out nearly all day, will carry on bit longer,
    • Posted

Gosh Susan, you sound like me! I’m on day 14 of 2.5mg of Lexapro.  Can’t Even imagine what I would feel like on more. I have tried to take this at all different times of the day to see what would happen .  Would like to try to take it at night but I’m afraid it would wake me up and make me feel awful and lose sleep .  I take it anywhere between 9:30 AM and 1:00 PM . For  about 2 1/2 hours I feel fine but for some reason when I reach the four hour mark I have aching all over I feel toxic like somebody’s infusing poison into my system and I to have to go to the couch .  This is tough for someone who is such an extrovert and has never before in her life had any health problems .  I get up in the morning and go run when I first feel that anxiety coming on and that does help .  But you are right when you say you wake up with anxiety I do too. wanting so badly to wake up like I used to ready for the day and full of energy and  excitement for the day . Bless you... you are not alone I know exactly how you feel and I ache for you 

• Posted

Its crazy how similar we all feel on this medication. I always wondered if it was my anxiety causing me to feel this way or the Lex. But with all these scenarios sounding so similar I wonder if it is the Lex.

I would give anything to wake up feeling my old self, calm and ready for the day. I miss that so much.

I also curl up on couch and feel like I’m suffering until afternoon. Forcing myself to get stuff done or go for a walk. It feels like torture- hang in there tho. Hopefully relief is in sight soon. 

• Posted

Bless you... I know exactly and I mean exactly how you feel and what you are going through. Oh to wake up normal again....I would dance around with a tambourine all morning. Let’s all hang in there and push through this!!! We can do this!!! We have healthy bodies we just need our anxiety to go AWAY!!!!
    • Posted

To all... the symptoms you are talking about.. I have been thru.. it’s something about your body having to adjust to the lexapro.. I’m in my 11 th week of 10 mg. Of Lexapro and things r becoming no easier but not 100% .. it just takes time... if u ask me am I better than I was when I started the answer is YES... but u must stick with it for several several weeks for u to see a good Benifit.. Hopeful b prepared for withdrawal symptoms on about day 4-7...I did when I went from 15 mg to 12.5 and then to 10 mg. My withdrawal lasted about 3 days..Just st remember it is a slow process but for most it is positive after a while but it’s not for everyone...
    • Posted

So you said it wasn’t any easier on day 11.  Said things are becoming no easier on day 11 did you mean to say easier ?

Is your anxiety less? I am still truckin along on 2.5 mg. 

• Posted

Leigh.. Thanks for the correction... Yes it was suppose to say things r easier but not 100% yet... Thanks again .. Sometimes I type to fast and do not proof read what I post.. Sorry about that...😊

• Posted

Hi Leigh, I've been experiencing much the same as some of the rest of you...terrible morning anxiety and insomnia (hardly sleep at all, which is not like me. My doctor put me on Lexapro 3 days ago and that's when the side effects started. She started me on 20 mg and I'm thinking that's too high and why I'm having such severe side effects. I've read that many of you started off much lower, like 5 or 10 mg. or even less.

Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.