Lexapro for anxiety and GERD

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I developed GERD after trying four different antibiotics over a course of two weeks with also steroids because my finger got an infection in it. I have lexapro from a year ago that I didn't use and heard that it could possibly help my GERD since it's worse with stress. What do you think.

I have high health anxiety and worryness. Will lexapro help both of those? Also what are the changes

I get the sexual side effects? 29 year old male. Got them on celexa but not zoloft

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would ask pharmacist for medication that works on GERD.

Antidepressents can cause you more unwanted symptoms

• Posted

Hey, I probably wouldn't take the meds you have from a while ago without talking to your dr as you can run into problems. If you run out of the lexapro and you have no prescription and don't get given another by your dr you will then be coming off it cold turkey which is definitely not what you want.

I would advise making an appointment with your dr, telling them how you feel about the meds and what they think. If the lexapro is still in date take it with you to your appointment to show your dr as they may be able to then make a note to say that you already have some and that they have checked and it is still in date and safe to consume or if not they will discard it safely for you and give you a new prescription. In regards to the GERD you can take zantac an over the counter med or omeprozole can be prescribed. I would try zantac first and see how it works for you as it is pretty good. Drink lots of water, especially if you take lots of meds. I found that I got gerd when my meds went up as a lot of them created acidity so and I increased my water intake and I no longer need to take the omeprozole.

Take care and good luck Xx

• Posted

Who diagnosed the GERD? this is associated with long term stomach problems, rather than any short term drug use. However short term stomach problems are often related to antibiotic use. Were the steriods taken orally or was it a cream, either way its an odd shoice for a simple infection as is the use of 4 different antibiotics, each one should be tried for at least 48 hours to judge effectiveness and if one fails its worth testing for sensitivity. I'm concerned that someone would prescribe 4 in a row without giving a very clear explination to you about what he's treating. If the steroid was a cream its probably irrelevant to these symptoms and I don't really understand why an oral steroid might be used unless there is something else involved. Either way Lexapro is not a treatment for stomach problems, RachRoux's suggestions are sound and should manage the symptoms quite quickly. If they dont settle down in a week or two go back to your Dr. If your upset stomach involves diahorrea you could try some of those probiotic yoghurts, antibiotics can kill all the bacteria that normally live in the gut and upset the whole of your gastrointestinal tract, probiotics sometimes help.

• Posted

Talk to your GP or Chemist.

One other thing you could try is NHS CHOICES pages. You can read up on your medications there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.