Lexapro insomnia - help

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi:  I have been on 5 mg of lexapro for 4 weeks.  Though my anxiety seems to have improved, I simply cannot sleep.  I had insomnia prior to taking lexapro. I cannot go on like this (a couple of nights no sleep at all).  I am going to wean myself off of this stuff.  Anyone else experience this?  I am ready to lose my mind.  Thank you.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary, I too am on the same medication and too suffer from insomnia. I found initially to help with the condition but side effects include insomnia so it’s hard to work out if it’s a side effect or just my normal junked up sleeping patterns? I would give it more time. The thing with these drugs is that no two experiences are the same for everyone; what it does to me might be totally different on the effect it has on you. It’s frustrating I know, especially how lack of sleep can really damage your mental health and you want results. SSRI do affect sleep but it will calm down. Be patient, which I know is easier said than done. I’ve gone up to 20mg from 10 and still sleep is an issue but hoping to ride out the rough bits because I felt this medication work and it did periodically sort out my sleep. Give it at least another 4 weeks. Keep me posted and you’ll get there. Trust me.
  • Posted

Hi Mary Ann,

you can ask your doctor to give you some other medicine that could help with sleep. I think it's quite a common practice, as both increased anxiety and lack of sleep are among common side effects in the beginning. I was given calming meds alongside antidepressants every time i was starting taking them. 

I'm also in my 4th week, and my anxiety is still up. Some nights I cannot sleep and others I feel so heavy in the morning that I can barely wake up, no matter how long I've slept. 4 weeks is still early on, but it's also quite something to have made it till there ... smile  there s still a huge chance that it will improve. Last time it took me 2-3 months to notice a really considerable difference. 

I'm on 10 mg, are you supposed to stay on 5 mg? Have you tried contacting your doctor and telling her/him how you feel? 

with warm warm greetings

• Posted

Hi:  thanks for your replies.  I did contact my doctor who wants me to hang in there for another week.  I hope I can.  Only getting about 3 hours of sleep a night...tops. I do have trazadone which she has advised me to take.  So frustrating.  I could just cry!  I want my life back.  Thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Mary Ann,

I went through the same exact thing. I had insomnia before starting Lex (most likely due to anxiety). Then once I started it got worse. I switched my dose from pm to am, and also started taking Klonopin & Melatonin to help me sleep. I am currently weaning off the Klonopin, I used it to help w anxiety while tittering the Lex up to 20mg. I’ve been on that dose now for almost 3 months. My plan after stopping the Klonopin for insomnia nights is the time released Melatonin. The brand is called Natrol, it comes in 1mg, 3mg, 5mg, 10mg. It really helped me when nothing else did. I hope your Trazodone does the trick. I never tried that drug. My advice is stick to it, 5mg is not a therapeutic dose of Lexapro. Best of luck, lmk how you’re doing!

• Posted

Hi...i'm very sorry you're going through this. I guess i know how it feels. 

Try not to get caught up in worrying about not being able to sleep, i know it s difficult, but it helps not to trigger more anxiety and restlessness. Have you tried any calming, stress reducing techniques?

maybe you'd find this talk helpful:  I've been practicing focusing on or imagining positive qualities lately every time i m feeling worse (which is often) and I believe it s really helping me go through this lexapro s**t.

You'll figure everything out, it will get better, and you'll be fine and even very fine. Warm thoughts to you. 

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

All of your comments are on the nail.. This lexapro is a good med. but can b challenging to adap to.. and yes everyone is somewhat the same but yet different..I’ve been on lex for 4 1/2 months and I’m still trying to find my perfect mg.  spot..I started @ 2.5mg. And worked my way up to 15mg. And back down to 7.5 mg. and still trying to find the right stopping point..The mg. Is different for everyone.. lex is good but very powerful.. sometimes less is better for some..I’m sensitive to all meds...so it’s been a challenge.. just hang in there...😊

• Posted

Hey there, I had a post about this not long ago. 4 weeks for me and my insomnia is terrible aswell so you are definitely not alone. 10mg aswell 
  • Posted

Hi, the same here, I'm on 10mg since 3th of may and I still have got insomnia (I also had insomnia before starting this medication, the reason why I took it). I think maybe it's better to switch to mirtazapine 15mg before bed. (I used to take it months ago and it was more effective to treat insomnia).

• Posted

Hi Maryann!

?I was curious how your insomnia is doing now? Did you move up to 10 mg of escitalopram?

?I'm having the fun side effects of insomnia right now...currently just started week 2 on 5 mg. I also had insomnia before I started the medication, so it's hard to tell if it's a side effect, or from my anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.