Lexapro Nightmare

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all im hoping that someone has help or has expeierinced what i have been going through. Im a 24 yr old female. I went to the doctor about 2 moths ago for a pain in my side while i was there i mentioned i had been having some anxiety here and there so she instanly prescribes me Lexapro. It was a 10mg dose so i took it and the nightmare began, i took it at 9 at night i woke up at 5 in the moring with a racing heart i had the chills, my chest was completley cold and i was wide awake and jittery. i debated going to the ER but instead just laid down and let it pass. i finally fell back asleep and woke up still feeling horrible i felt like i had the flu i was dizzy lightheaded i felt drunk. i then started vomiting all day and couldnt eat or drink. i called the doctor and they told me this was normal to keep taking it. i debated it and by the end of the night i decdided to never take this drug again. i was feeling worse than i did i constanly had this feeling that i was dying which i know is the anxiety but man was my anxiety high. So for the next 4 days i was sick couldnt go to work i was having memory loss and brain fog i didnt even really feel like i was there most the time. Slowy i came out of it. well 3 days later i got strep throat so i took antibiotics for that for 2 days i woke up one morning feeling lightheaed and dizzy again figured it would go away but it never did im a server and it was fathers day weekend so i had to be at work. i had a hard time standing up i would get pale and feel like i was going to faint. i finally make it through the weekend so i go back to the doctor she tells me im dehydrated so i drink alot of fluids like the most i ever drink. i had pedialyte and gatorade. it helped a little but i still wasnt feeling normal. my birthday came around and my boyfriend and family wanted to take me out but in couldnt do it i had 0 energy and still felt off. so now its friday back to the doctor i go this time it was a differnt doctor who kicked my family out and asked me what i thouight was going on he wasnt very nice. accused  me of having a bad life and basically told me i was crazy i told him about the lexapro he tried to tell me to take it again....yeah no. he did do an EKG on my heart which was normal. He sent me on my way with no answers and making me feel like i was loosing my mind. So here i am at a total loss its been about 2 months since i have really felt myself. i do have good and bad days but always have a costant worry in the back of my head. i get dizzy spells i still feel drunk at times and not to metion a constant headache. i had another panic attack at 5 in the morning recenlty and it drains me i feel sick and weak after it. So heres my questioin can one pill really do this to someone. I can tell you that i am healthy i have  a great life and im happy....well besides the fact that i really never feel good. i can also tell you that before i took Lexapro i never had a panic attack and i never had a constant fear of dying. so someone please help i dont want to feel like this anymore not only is it taking its toll on me but my poor boyfriend and family as well. The only drug im taking right now is a low does birth control Progestin. Thanks for reading sorry its long.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes Amanda that is a good question and that dr should have known . Some people do not react to medications the same way. When there is the adverse affect as you mentioned then it is generally time to change meds.

The experience you have described is not at all helping you that's  for sure. 

Sometimes it's better to see a talk therapist - psychologist in this case.

Dont give up it may be a hormone imbalance keep seeking treatment until you are doing better . 

• Posted

Sorry to hear of all your problems which are no doubt due to the lexapro.

Yes one tablet can do this to you. You  should have gone to the ER

Your Dr was not profesional handing out tablets like this without trying other things first. Chemical coshes like this do not suit everyone. Unless you presented with a severe depression these should not have been prescribed.

I suggest you change Drs and find one who will communicate with you before handing out antdepressant drugs which are  controversial in the treatment of mild to moderate depression ( see wikipedia).iend or boyfriend stays with you at your Drs visit if you so wish. The Dr has no right to demand to see you alone unless they have reason to beleive you're being mentaly or physically abused.

I am sad for wh you have experienced

• Posted

Some drugs that others tolerate well drive me straight up the wall. With blood pressure meds, I had side effects that were actually listed as rare.

I say, if someone told you that your reactions were normal...they should lose their license to practice. Any time I reported an adverse reaction my doc had me change meds same day. I am appalled that they would let you suffer like that...then tell you to continue???? Insanity. I would change doctors immediately....! If you reported that you had "some anxiety here and there," the apprepriate med would be one to use, "as needed."  Change doctors, Amanda. I wouldn't trust this one ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!eek        

• Posted

Amanda I am curious as to if you are taking other medications....because I just had the same reaction Friday night and mine was caused by too much Seratonin.

Actually a person can die from this condition.

I was on Celexa...and it interacted with a migraine medication I took.  I was throwing up, chillls, sweating....and stoppped all my medication.

So now I am having withdrawals from the antidepressent....sounds like you are too.  I went to hospital today and they gave me anxiety med. to get me thru until I see that quack Dr again....that was prescribing medication that interacts with others.

• Posted

Why are you going back to a doctor you define, quite rightly,  as a quack? Sounds a little dangerous, putting yourself in his or her hands again, dear Missy??????
  • Posted

Thanks for the responses as for finding a new doctor im deffinlety going to get another opionion and change doctors. and as far as me taking any other meds when i took the lexapro i was only tsking my birth contol nothing else not even tylenol. I feel like what im going through isnt just aniexty but i feel like because now im labled anxious thats all the doctors see.
    • Posted

Hi Amanda what happened sounds like a clasic Seratonin Crisis which starts within hours of starting taking the drug you were given. Your new Dr needs to be told so that it is noted in your records and you are not given it again. Misssey2 is correct it can be fatal. It is not pleasant at all as you have already discovered.

Good luck with the new Dr and take someone with you for support

• Posted

Might be like me cannot take Ssris lexapro is of this group

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.