Lexapro tiredness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all!

Last automn has been a roller coaster.

I am taking meds for anxiety since a decade. I have been switched a lot in the last 2 years and been off work due to a burn out and anxiety.

I was on zoloft from july to end of september but wasnt doing good on it. So my psychiatrist decided to try for first time in last decade to stopped meds and see how I would do.....bad idea! I had a severe withdrawing from just going from 25mg to zero and in 5 weeks I just spiraled into panic attacks and bad depression which left me to go to hospital for 2 weeks.

Because I had succes in the past with lexapro, they put me back on it. Also with the clonazepam I take since 2 years at about 0.5 mg per day max.I was started at 10mg lexapro for 5 weeks and now Im at 12,5mg. I will have to go to 15mg.

It kinda help a bit from the start, meaning no more panics and a little more calm. By week 4 or 5, I felt better and had 3 days where I felt more energic but it wasnt an all day long energy.

now I am on 12,5 since a week and feel soo tired again. My anxiety and depression is definitly way better than it was even if sometimes, I feel a little anxious inside around evening.

My psychiatrist told me it can take effect around 4 to 6 weeks but for some it can go to 12 weeks...Depending on the issue or metabolism.

My question is,... is it normal to have a start in energy around week 4-5 then this go away after I upped a bit. The fatigue /tiredness is for me a side effect I wish that will lower a bit so I can be more active and motivate. Maybe I am still recuparating from my last 2 years of beeing switched meds continualy or also from the bad spiraling I went through in october???

I just need positive encouragements or personnal stories to remind me to stay positive about returning to my self and daily functionning.

thanks a lot!!@

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good morning

I am going through the same thing. It's normal to feel lethargic but it does suck.

Side effects will come and go until your body settles in with the meds and they can worsen when you raise doses.

They should go away. I say should because inam going through the same thing at the moment and have not gotten past the side effects.

Hope they pass for you soon!

• Posted

Thanks Andrea for your reply.

So your take lexapro for about the same time as me ?

I take it in the morning but struggle to get out of bed and feel lethargic almost all day long and sleep almost 9 or 10 hours at night!

So you say that this might pass???

It really sucks to feel that way !

I have been up to 12,5mg for almost 10 days and feel so sluggish.

• Posted

I went off the lexapro and im back on the sister med citalapram(celexa). I feel no different. Everyone says the side effects pass anywhere from 4-16 weeks. They haven't passed for me yet and I am still very much depressed but i know people on Lexapro that have had great results so stay strong. Hopefully it'll pass soon.

Have you tried a Vitamin B complex to help with the tiredness?

• Posted

Oh Andrea!

Its so conforting to know we are not alone in this.

I took lexapro for 3 years in the past. Always had a little fatigue but not like now. I think because I have been changed meds so much in the last 2 years, it might have played a lot in my fatigue and and anxiety. Its like I was always battling side effects. Probably, if I keep going with the same dosage for a while, things will have more chances to settle.??

You say 4 to 16 weeks.... is that from the start or for every changes in dosage???

I am at 12,5 and need to go to 15. Maybe it would be better for me to go to 15 sooner so I can settle faster at it.

BTW, I was at 15 when I use to take it.

Im taking vit d cause I have a little carence of it. Also take vit c. Might need to take b complex has you suggest.

Im also thinking of acupuncture ???

• Posted

They say once you start and stop and the start these meds over again it is much harder to adjust and i am clearly feeling that for sure.

hopefully it won't take the longer time for you to adjust.

I have not done acupuncture yet. I have tried tapping but it does not seem to work for me.

I do take ativan to get me through until the meds kick in.

I am also arranging to take the "Genesite" test that tell dr's what antidepressants are more likely to work with ones DNa so i know im taking something that actually works for me.

• Posted

I did a genetic test also and it seems that only 4 ssri suits me. I am a low metaboliser. But even if I tried the one that are suppose to fit me, I had hard time with some.... Like prozac and setraline. Lecapro is one I am suppose to be okay with. But, I think I will just have to keep going with it and wish that my fatigue will subside.

Depression is way better. Anxiety also but still have bouts but not like it use to be.

• Posted

I am taking vitamin b suppliments and in going to start taking iron today to see if that helps.

I am going to stop the arivan as that contributes to my tiredness and i started taking CbD gummies today.

Hope you feel better quick!!

• Posted

Hi Andrea!

I also started vit b and iron yesterday....But it might take a bit to see the effects.

I dont take ativan but clonazepam 0.25 at night and around 0.125mg in late afternoon. But I try to slowly decrease the late afternoon dose. I know its not big doses but Im really sensitive to that. Ive been put on it since 2 years and I also question myself if that can be one of the reason why I feel so tired in morning and day!???

Are you on ativan since a long time?

Today, I feel okay but tired still.

And you???

• Posted

Hi everyone !

So, this week will mark 8 weeks total being on lexapro.

Almost 6 weeks at 10mg,

one week at 12,5 mg

and one at 15mg.

My depression is gone I think.

My anxiety is way way better.

But, I am still really tired.

Do you think its normal, and might be relate to my last increase ???

Just need so reassurance !

thanks so much

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.