Lexapro to Cymbalta

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi-I’m cross tapering Lexapro to Cymbalta. I was on 12.5 mg of lex and tapering to 10 mg for a week (on day five) then 5 mg for a week. At the same the time, I’m taking 20 mg of Cymbalta. I’m taking Cymbalta at night. I also take 25 mg of traz and .5 of Ativan for sleep. I woke up today super out of it and had bad headache. Also feel a bit jittery. Are these normal Starting side effects? Super nervous about switching meds. 

0 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I’m on day 5 of duloxetine and tapering off mirtazapine. Still feel sick and jittery but it passes through the day . Mornings I feel sluggish and weird 
    • Posted

Yes I’m on day five too! What is your taper like? Do you feel any diff w anxiety yet? Why are you switching? Def feel outta it in the morning and headaches.
  • Posted

I’ve been on mirtazapine for 10 years and it’s not doing anything apart from helping me sleep and much say that’s the only withdrawal symptoms you get with it is insomnia. The duloxetine is making me feel crap in the morning 
  • Edited

Not a Dr, but maybe try the Cymbalta earlier in the day? I was told it can have more of an uplifting effect than other meds. Having said that, I did have trouble sleeping the first few weeks. Started at 20 mg and worked up to 60 over about a month, and still taking the 60mg Prozac I've been on for years. I took melatonin to get to sleep, but found myself waking and unable to get back to sleep in the middle of the night. Also had some shakyness and trouble focusing, but I was also tapering of benzos. Side effects seemd to peak about a month and i was considering telling the Dr i didn't want it, but they disappeared very quick after week 4 when the positive effects kicked in. I've used Lex, Prozac, and now Cymbalta. Having gotten through the initial side effects of Cymbalta, I really think it's a good medication and I feel very stable on it now. Hoping it keeps working this well long term! In short, stick with it for a few months and let the positive have a chance to kick in befoe you give up on it. I'm glad I didn't. Those initial effects are what got me on this forum! Hopefully this gives you some relief knowing someone else has had a rough first few weeks and gotten through it. Don't hesitate to talk to your doc though if you think it's too bad. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the response!! My doc wanted me to try it in the evening because she said it can cause drowsiness, I’ve been taking around 7:30 pm. No idea if it’s making me drowsy or not. I would rather take in the morning to be honest, when I take vitamins etc.  I’ve had issues waking up at 4:30-5 am for a few weeks, since lowering the traz from 50-25 mg. It sucks, I usually can’t get back to sleep. I felt not as out of it this morning so?? I’m def jittery and feel a bit nervous but that could be from anything. 

How long were you on 20 mg? I have another 10 days or so of cross tapering the lexapro. 

The traz I’ve used on and off for a year but I’ve recently started getting dizzy so I’m tapering off. I’m hoping that solves the issue, it’s pretty terrible. I could try unisom, have a history of bad insomnia. 

Glad to hear you are doing well on Cymbalta! I’ve heard good things but just need to get the right dosage going. 

• Posted

When I started i had weekly visits with the psych and he did 20 for a week, still having anxiety issues, went to 40 on week 2, told him the jitters and anxiety seemed to be getting worse and he put me at 60 at week 3. By week 4 or 5 jitters were peaking and I was going to tell the doc I didn't like it, but by my next appointment they had started to pass and i was feeling good. Told him "in my professional opinion I wouldn't change anything"! So for now we're sticking with it. I think we're going into month 3 now. I'm taking for anxiety. I had been takeing benzos more than I was supsed to and not telling doc. Finally came clean and we started addressing the underlying anxiety. I've been able to go without daily benzos for about 2 months now. I really think it's helping. I hope it works for you.

Side note...i wasn't on lexapro long enough to have issues getting off, but I've heard from a friend Cymbalta can be hard. Lots of "brain zaps". I'm not worrying abouy it til the time comes. Seems worth it for now.

• Posted

I’m hoping since I’m cross tapering, I won’t have any real issues getting off the lex, but I’m scared! My doc wants me to hold at 20 mg for a while. I don’t feel any different at this point. When did you start to feel something? So, you are still on Prozac? I also think my doc wants to stop the traz too, so a lot of changes. I’m hopeful the Cymbalta will help. I’ve been on SSRIs and they don’t do it for me. 
    • Posted

Also, I’ve heard bad things about getting off of Cymbalta too. Makes me nervous but I shouldn’t worry about it now. I’m taking Cymbalta for  anxiety as well. 
    • Posted

Yeah I was kindof surprised that he don't stop the Prozac. It did work initially, but just wasn't cutting it and I was self medicating on top of it, which led to new issues. I'd like to be med free eventually, but right now I'm happy not feeling panicky from wake to sleep (and sometimes during sleep!) and only taking prescribed meds, as prescribed.

I think I really noticed it was working around 5ish weeks maybe. The jittery feelings went away over the course a couple days and when they were gone, I had a day where i just felt really good, like I was looking forward to taking meds the next day! Unfortunately that little euphoria didn't last, but I have felt like a normal person since. Not an anxious wreck. I think that little euphoria might have been a mix of it "kicking in", mixed with the bad feeling being gone. But the reason I've stayed on this site is to hopefully help some of the others that have a hard time getting on the med. I think it does work but starting sucks! You might be well off to stay at 20 for awhile. I wonder if part of the reason I had such bad reaction at first was because he rushed me up to 60 so fast, or maybe thats why it's working so well. Idk. I've been to at least one total quack psych, and I trust the one I have now. If you trust your doc, stick with it. Time will pass and you will get through the crap feeling and hopefully experience some relief. You can do it! Keep us posted.

• Posted

Thanks for the support!! I seem to feel worse right now. I’m lowering the lex to 5 mg tomorrow. I guess I’m hoping I’ll feel a little better in the next week or two. I’m def having physical anxiety symptoms, like shaky hands, dizzy etc. one of the main reasons I’m getting off lex is that I’ve bern feeling very dizzy since I had my baby 12 weeks ago, but it could be anxiety. 

I bet the jitters was upping too quickly, but it sounds like it settled. I’m very sensitive to meds so I think she will keep me at 20 mg for a while. I’m assuming I’ll prob need a bit more since that is a really low dose. 60 mg is the highest right? Do you take at night? I would like to be med free too but in this postpartum time, I need something to help! 

• Posted

I’m on day 8 now and been really low and agitated today also exhausted even though I’ve been sleeping well 
    • Posted

I used to take the Prozac at night, just as part of my nightly routine and all was well.  Only reason I switched to morning was because I heard that it can have a stimulating effect, and I have issues sleeping occasionally.  Its working for now so I'm just taking both in the morning now.

You said "physical anxiety symptoms".  Just curious, are you feeling a lot of actual anxiety?  Like panicky, or the mental anxiety symptoms?  I noticed personally that the symptoms for me were more physical, and I didn't have the same level of mental anxiety.  That kind of made me think that the med was already working a little because normally just having those physical symptoms would be enough to cause the mental symptoms! But it seemed much more physical and less mental for me.  Similar with you?

• Posted

What dose are you on? Tapering from something? I feel super jittery today!!
    • Posted

Not panicky. More Wondering why I’m so anxious...like shaky hands, heavy legs, lightheaded. The whole nine yards. Kinda out of the clear blue. Wtf?! It’s been a week since I started 20 mg and dropped to 10 mg of lex. 
    • Posted

I forgot you said you were tapering off of remeron. 
    • Posted

I’m tapering from mirtazapine and have 30mg at night , the duloxetine are giving me anxiety today and the bad jitters 😬 I’m dreading the thought of going out tomorrow, got major sweats too 

• Posted

So what dose of cym are you on right now? Yah I’m super jittery too. Is this normal start up effect??! 
    • Posted

They’ve  started me straight on 60mg tried taking at night last night but sleep was awful so gone back to morning . Seeing my phyc on Thursday so maybe they can answer some questions. Never had any side effect with mirtazapine but the cym is awful 
    • Posted

Made a mistake and my appointment is for next Thursday, got no motivation and still agitated 
    • Posted

Ugh. So your still taking 30 mg of remeron? Maybe it’s too much? I’m super anxious but I think a lot of it is bc I’m almost done tapering the lexapro. I wonder when the cym will kick in? 
    • Posted

I’ve got a couple of Rem left and I’m dreading not having them as they are brilliant for sleep . How are you sleeping? 
    • Posted

Just curious how things are going.  Any signs of relief in sight.  How many weeks into it with 60mg are you?  Wish the best for you both and really hoping to see that message that says the negative effects seem to be passing and the positive effects are kicking in!

I had been having alot of difficulty sleeping in the first few weeks.  Melatonin works great for me and helped me get to sleep.  I was waking in the middle of the night though and was almost never able to get back to sleep.  A few months in now.  Still taking my regular melatonin, but I seem to be doing much better with sleep.  Most night going down around 10pm and managing to stay asleep until 5 or 6 am  I often wake several times to go to the bathroom (likely a whole nother issue!) but I seem to get right back to sleep.  Just trying to give some supportive feedback on how it's working after being on it a few months.

Out of curiosity, have you noticed any effects on dreaming.  I recall a few weeks in, when I was able to sleep, having VERY vivid dreams/nightmares. Don't remember them now but they were nightmareish, almost dystopian themed.  That also seems to have passed or let up a little.  Curious if thats me or if you have noticed this effect?

• Posted

Ok (Knock on wood) I take 25 mg of trazodone and .5 of Ativan. When will things feel better?! Do you think you are feeling remeron withdrawals? 
    • Posted

Yah-I’m not doing great. I don’t know if it’s from stopping the lexapro or starting the cym but I’m sad, anxious and defeated.  I’ve been on 20 mg for a week and 30 mg for three days. 
    • Posted

Side effects seem to be less but feel terrible in the morning . No motivation and haven’t been to work in 2 weeks, I’m a volunteer.  I’m on it 2 weeks now and still feel anxious and jittery but have little moments out the day when I feel okayish. For the last couple of night if broken my 30mg mirtazapine in half to stretch it out 
    • Posted

Do you have little moments through the day when you thinks it’s working then go back to anxious like me ? 
    • Posted

Yes!! The mornings are terrible for me too. I wake up early and can’t fall back to sleep. Get super shaky and just nervous. Ugh. In the afternoon I tend to do better. I still don’t think it’s really working yet. Coujd you stay on low dose of remeron for sleep? 
    • Posted

I’m going to ask my doctor about staying on low dose of rem. I think we are both going through exactly the same effects on duloxetine, I keep thinking, “any day now “ and it will kick in
    • Posted

That’s how i feel too!! When will it kick in?! 
    • Posted

Hey.  Hope you're doing ok.  Kinda following this still hoping one day I will see one of you say thats its starting to work.  How long have you been on the Cymbalta?  I was trying to give some hope based on my own experience when I first commented.  I hate seeing that you're still going through those terrible initial effects.  I've been on it several months now and no negative side effects since that first bad month and a half.  But that time month and a half was rough!  Definitely talk to your Dr about what your feeling.  Hopefully they can do something to ease the transition.

• Posted

I felt a bit better a couple of hours ago but now I feel sick and jittery. Seeing my phsyc Thursday 
    • Posted

thanks. i think i am most frustrated in the fact that it doesn't seem to be touching my anxiety yet and the jitters. i am really hoping it evens out here in a week or two. i am starting to think it's not worth staying on it, but it's only been two weeks. i forget, do you take in the morning? i have ativan and do take .5 mg at night but don't like to take it otherwise. i have been here and there, but ugh. don't want to make it a habit. it's frustrating bc i read these stories of how it helped people after a week and they feel great, and i am here feeling crappy. sigh! thanks for checking in! 

• Posted

I take it the morning.  I think it was a good 4 to 5 weeks in before I started to notice the good effects.  Had weekly apts with psych and reported that my anxiety wasn't getting better and he upped me from 20 to 40 to 60 over the 1st month.  by like end of week four or week 5, I was ready to tell him this isn't working...then it started working.  It was almost euphoric and I wanted to take it the next day!  But in retrospect I think that euphoria was more from the negative effects being gone.  Kinda the way you feel better when a full blown panic attack passes! The euphoria didn't last. I don't want to make it sound like its that magic happy pill that makes everything sunshine! But has eased my anxiety to where I'm not needing benzos and I wouldn't ask the doc to change anything.

• Posted

I take mine in the morning but tried it once at night and didn’t sleep . It’s giving me bad headaches too, how about you? 
    • Posted

maybe i just need to be patient?? i feel so jittery and anxious/sad. i hate this feeling. my hands are shaking too. i am glad it's helping you. i am seeing my doc tomorrow so i guess i'll talk to her about how i feel. what did your doc say when you were telling me you weren't feeling better? 

• Posted

i am taking it @ night but i want to take during the day, i think. i got super jittery today--headaches not so much, i do get them sometimes. didn't think it was from the meds though. how are you feeling otherwise? i am kinda ready to quit. ha. 

• Posted

Taking it in the morning I think is better as the worst of the side effects have worn off by evening. I’m not as shaky as I was but have really bad pain in my head now and still feel sickly , think I’ll give it another week . Let us know how you get on at docs x
    • Posted

What else would you take? 

I will let you know. I also have itchy skin but assuming it’s not from the meds. I have a heavy feeling in my head, if that makes sense?

• Posted

I’ve got the heavy head too , in the past year I’ve tried chlomipramine , citlapam and venaflaxine but had really bad side effects due to my morphine patch . Been on mirtazapine 10 years but no longer working for depression just helps with sleep x
    • Posted

ugh, i hate that meds "poop" out. so, i saw the doc and she wants me to taper back to 20 mg bc i have been feeling so jittery and add 10 mg of prozac. interesting choice. i guess we shall see what happens. how are you feeling today? i can't do high doses of meds so maybe this will help? very jittery. 

• Posted

If it's any comfort...Ive been using Prozac for years and never had any negative side effects starting or stopping.  I've started and stopped several times without issue.  I think it takes so long to leave your body that withdraw is minimal to none.  Hope it gets better.  Was on 20mg for years and only upped to 60 in the last few because of returning/increasing abnormal anxiety.  It was the first long term anxiety med I was ever given and a great relief when I started.

• Posted

Thanks. I tried it once before but it was too high of a dose. I’m hoping this double combo works!! Seems to be working for you? 
    • Posted

Thanks-we shall see. I actually feel a little better today other than a terrible headache. How about you? 
    • Posted

Terrible headaches and I keep have moments of feeling okay then back to jittery 
    • Posted

Same! Yesterday I felt decent then couldn’t sleep last night so today I’m nervous about that!! Sigh. You?
    • Posted

Same 😬 it’s really hot here so it’s not helping with the uncontrollable sweats but still sleeping okay but waking a lot through the night x

• Posted

Let me know what doc says tomorrow! Yah-my issue is falling asleep. Blah. What dose of remeron are you on now?
    • Posted

I’m snapping a 30mg in half so I sleep okay but do wake a lot and feel awful in the morning x
    • Posted

yeah, same. i thought i was feeling a bit better, but today not so much. i am wondering i shoulda stuck with 30 mg of cymbalta and not dropping down and adding the 10 mg of pro. good luck with the doc! let us know. 
    • Posted

I got my dates mixed up again lol I had appointment with mind today and not psychiatrist. Going docs Wednesday so I’ll discuss it with her .  Go no energy today and just want to sleep and have no side effects so I’ve got a funny feeling I missed my dose this morning. I had all my vitamins laid out and think I forgot 😬

• Posted

Whoops! Ha, or maybe it’s kicked in? Today has been a bad day for me, not sure why. Super anxious! Maybe from starting Prozac???
    • Posted

Hey! How ru guys doing? Me not so great. I ended up stopping the Prozac bc I was a jittery mess!! Ugh. Such a disaster. I’m back to 20 mg of Cymbalta just today. I’m debating jumping back up to 30 mg. Not sure what to do!
    • Posted

The side effects have stopped and I’m feeling like I did before I started so don’t see any benefits yet , seeing my gp Wednesday for a chat 
    • Posted

Side effects of the Cymbalta have passed!? If so that at least good to hear, but sorry to hear you're not feeling better. You said your going to see GP? Are you seeing a psychiatrist? If flopped between the NP I consider my doc and a psychiatrist. My Psych is definitly more comfortable and knowledgeable (and aggressive I think) with the mental health stuff, especially the meds. Just a thought.

• Posted

So, you still feel anxiety but don’t have the headaches etc? That’s good and bad. Frustrating though!! 

I jumped back on 30 mg today but totally scared. I’ve been SO jittery. I think some of it has to do w Prozac but it was only a few days. I’m not sure what to do. It will be three weeks on Tuesday-week at 20, week at 30 and a few days on Prozac Cymbalta combo (last Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). 20 mg yesterday 30 mg today. I hate that I jumped around. What do you guys think 💭? 

• Posted

Still waiting for appointment to come through from psych, thought it was my appointment Thursday but it was with mind . Felt really tired the last 3 days 
    • Posted

Felt exhausted the last 3 days and really down , can’t wait to see my doc 
    • Posted

I don’t know , I just feel blah and got no interest in doing anything 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.