lexapro to paxil

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone made this switch directly without any issues with withdrawals or side effects.. lexapro 20mgs to paxil 20mgs..I'm freaking out that I have to change meds again but lexapro at full doseage is not doing much for my panic n ocd disorder.. the docs say that it should be smoother than starting from square one, but im hesitant because ive had such bad luck with side effects.. please positive feed back would be great.. thanks smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I had some bad side effects with 20mg of lexapro. My dr had to put me back down to 10mg and added Xanax. I have not tried Paxil. I sometimes still feel anxiety while on these meds. I didn't at first, but after being on them together for almost a month I am beginning to feel more anxiety. Have you experienced this? When switching meds I would do it on a day when you know you don't have to be anywhere, just in case there are side effects such as tiredness etc. I'm pretty sure Paxil and lexapro are in the same family, so the switch should be fine.
    • Posted

I've been on Lexapro 20 mgs. For like 3 months.. and while the depression lifted.. the panic attacks n obessessive thoughts are still there everyday.. one week I feel great then I feel like hell again.. like I'm going crazy very shakey dizzy just not right.. I'm so sick of feeling like this. I hope ur right n I have a smooth switch.. thank u for ur reply.
    • Posted

That's how I was on the lexapro by itself. My symptoms were very hit or miss and I was still experiencing anxiety. Once my dr combined it with the Xanax, I felt so much better; however, I feel like it is slowly making its way back.
    • Posted

I'm on klonopin .5mg in morning and 1mgs. At night .. and xanax as needed .5mgs.. n still not working
    • Posted

You may want to let your doctor know this.  Hopefully they maybe able to up your meds. 
  • Posted

Best thing anyone can take for panic attack symptoms is propanolol I take lowest dose they are amazing
    • Posted

Propanol is a beta blocker, and if there isn't truly a heart issues that is not a wise choice, especially for long term. Just sharing what I have read and discussed with my doctor.
    • Posted

That all depends if it works for them.  All medications affect everyone differently, different body chemisty.
  • Posted

I was on paxil for 14 plus years worked for me.  I was switched to Lexapro a couple of months ago.  It seems to be working.  What did your doctor explain for you to do when switching.  Did they have you just start taking paxil? I know the feeling about my doctor was not specific on how I should switch.  I don't want to scare by no means, so please don't panic with this info I want to give you.  I was told by my doctor that paxil has a short half life.  By this I mean that it doesn't last long in the body. This one of the main reason he explained why he wanted me to switch.  This is something you may want to discuss with you GP, doctor. 
  • Posted

Hey! Just curious if your transition was successful? I am about to do the same and I am so scared. Let me know. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.