Lexapro v Prozac Dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum to help me over the last few years (thank you!!! Reading everyone's experiences has really kept me going at times!) but this is my first post. Not sure if anyone has experience of both Lexapro and Prozac. I went on 20mg of prozac 2 years ago for post natal anxiety and after the initial 3 months of horrific side effects I felt 100%. I recently went back on it after my next child again and found that the horrific side effects were worse and weren't subsiding. I changed to lexapro which I am tolerating great, initially 10mg and now 15mg. Am just wondering strength wise, I know everyone is different and every drug is different and that my body has probably changed significantly since last time, but if 20mg of prozac did work for me should I be expecting to need to go upto 20mg of laxapro to get the same result? Thank you all 🙂

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I took 20mg Prozac in the past and then couldn't tolerate it when I tried it again. I couldn't get above 10mg. They swapped to lex and am on 20mg. That's the max they will give you at my gps. I too had no bad side effects on lex apart from making me so tired. that hasn't gone away and I've been on it about 2 years.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply 🙂 I've only been on 15mg for 8 weeks now, so I'm gonna hold out till 12 weeks and then decide if I need to go up again. I wonder how you know if you've gone up too far... Yeah doc said my max would be 20mg too. The tiredness sucks but it's a small price to pay 👍

• Posted

l just had to stop Lex after 9 months. I had continued anxiety upon wakening everyday, with very little relief at all over the 9 month period, Everyone said stay with it. I got to the point where enough was enough, all my dr kept saying was to increase it to 30 mg then to 40 mg, being very sensitive to these drugs I ended up in the ER going to 30 mg. This is when I knew I had to make a change. I did some researching and was able to find a dr that would do a genetic test t on me, cheek swab, that showed I cannot tolerate any of the SSRI's, and have been put on a different class of meds.

Not to discourage anyone, lex may work for many and I have friends it works for just not me. So if anyone is struggling please get the genetic testing done.

• Edited

hello linzs ive researched and been told start on lowest dose possible which is 5 mg and see what it does after 3 months or so . lexapro has a 5 , 10 , and 20 mg doses. ssris take a long time to work. according to a science document 40 mg prozac is equal to 18 mg lexapro . this document has many different dose equivalents. i can pm this link to you if you want me to?

• Posted

Thanks for commenting Brian. You've def given me food for thought. I'm feeling quite rough since upping to 15mg and I do wonder if my dose is too high now. Especially as 15mg Lex is stronger than the 20mg prozac I was on before. But as I've only been on 15mg for 9 weeks, maybe I'm still adjusting to the increase. I've decided to wait it out to the 12 week mark and if I'm still feeling worse then discuss dropping back to 10mg with my doc. Thanks again for your advice!

• Posted

yes im on 15 for about 11 months also and plan to come back to 10 as 15 is a little much for me . i try to go 6 months between changes. it taes time for nervous system to stabilize and then time for you to get used to feeling ok!

• Posted

Thanks Brian. I know non of us are docs but sometimes hearing a person's personal experiences is more valuable. Can I ask why you feel 15 is too high? How is this dose making you feel? Thanks!

• Edited

hi linzs sorry been out a while! after you get through start up side effects and your nervous system settles for a while and you feel recovered and you get back into swing of things this is the time that i notice the actual side effects of taking ssri. as for me 6 to 12 months i start noticing. i cant really see the side effects before that because of anxiety and other start up effects. ive been on lex 15 since jan 2019 . right now i have dry eyes, dry mouth, dry sinuses, a little constipated, kind of itchy on my face, and forgetful. ssris have always effect my memory and thinking a little no big deal. but the dryness i do not like! heres the thing to remember when you notice any of these little things do not be alarmed . anxiety will make you think otherwise! but just accept it because in a few months you will stabilize AND then you can taper as needed to lessen side effects. unless its life threatening! if you do taper go no more than 10% of the dose you are taking once a month. this will lessen withdrawals which can cause us to go back to dr and then he just starts writing more prescriptions. same goes for starting ssri start up slow! you will stabilize on 10 or 15 but the lower the dose the less chance of side effects. hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.