Lexapro weight gain vs setraline?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have put on 30 pounds (2 stone) on setraline after 2 years. I am now on a much lower dose, 25 mg, but still cannot lose weight. I have to remain on something as have anxiety and panic... Doctor suggested switching to Lexapro (Escitalopram), again remaining at a low dose of 5 mg... I am very sensitive to meds and wonder is it worth the switch, or does it cause weight gain equally as much as Setraline? Appreciate any advice as I have been desperately trying to lose weight, and despite strict diet and exercise I have lost nothing. It is so frustrating!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deirdre72189,

I too have struggled with weight and sensitivity. I even had a stomach ulser from a previous Anti depressant so am very wary of which one I'm on. I also have to be on one because of crippling anxiety and panic attacks that go on for weeks. 

I was on Mirtazapine for the last 6 years as this was the kindest to the stomach and allowed the ulser to heal. Because it was wearing out and I needed to go up a dose which would have increased the already 40 odd pound weight gain, they swapped me to Lexapro. I am into the 3 months on it. It has been a battle and because i wasn't tappered at all, just switched cold turkey, I didn't know whether my symptoms were the Lexapro or the Mirt withdrawals.Probably a combination of both. The doc said I could change to Setraline but I was worried I'd get another round of symptoms to battle with.  I have lost 25 odd pounds since coming off the Mirt. But seem to have stalemated on this now. Fingers crossed I can loss the rest or at least not gain again.

It is extreamly frustrating to diet/excersise and not be able to budge any weight. Feels hopeless at times. I am on 10mg of Lexapro but the Doc wanted me to take 20mg. I resisted this as I have no where to go if I need to up the dose. It has taken this whole 3 months to get to this point where I feel I can do most things again. Lexapro gives you a totally different feeling to the other anti depressants I found and many times I thought I would never feel half normal again. Some people have no worries and love it.

All you can do is try I guess. I know its a massive decision and hopefully, on here you can find the answers to any questions you have.

I know it helped me because the Docs tell you nothing and look confused when you explain the symptoms yet I'm possitive they know. Please feel free to ask me anything. 

Best wishes,

Gina

Pl 

• Posted

Thank you for responding Gina 1020.. sounds like you have had quite the battle as well...So you would totally get my reservations about switching meds... Can I ask, did you initially start on 10 mg? Or taper up? I am very sensitive and can suffer increased anxiety and panic when I start a new med, so my doctor suggested starting at 2.5 mg Lexapro, eventually going up to 5... Hopefully 5 would be enough as I am such a low dose now of Setraline.... Also, did you experience many side effects? I know everyone is different. I have a good friend that takes it and felt absolutely no side effects when she started! How lucky for her! I am glad you are feeling better but I know the 3 month transition time must have been tough! Thanks again for responding.. I just really need to lose weight and it's horrible when it won't budge!

• Posted

and congrats on 25 pound loss!! That is fantastic!! Be proud of that!

Regards,

Deirdre

• Posted

Hi Deirdre,

I've been away and can't seem to access this forum on my phone properly. It continually reloads and I lose all my typing... Frustrating.

I was put on 20mg of Lexapro straight up but have only been taking 10mg and had enough trouble with that.. I've tried upping the dose a bit by cutting a tablet in pieces but the side effects kick straight in again. Horrible. 

Unfortunately, by switching me straight over, I didn't know which was Lexapro and which was Mirt withdrawal as they seem to be equally horrible. I was going to switch to Setraline but it frightens the life out of me to have to go thru all that again with no garentee of the setraline working, putting on weight or having worse side effects. I too have hung on to the comments that it ( Lexapro)is the best one with least side effects and so kept going.

I think if your on a low dose you may be ok. 

Do you have to taper off one and onto the other?

I had to just switch from one to the other, not sure if tapering would have been easier but the Doc thought that one would cancel out the other and take over.....that didn't happen at all to me.

The ONLY upside has been the weight loss. Its stabilized now which is a shame as I was hoping to lose another 10kg. Considering how little I ate as I was so sick and still aren't eating a lot, I thought I'd keep going down...:-( So its one day at a time still and hoping my stomach doesn't flare up again..

Hope all is well,

Gina

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.