Lexapro Withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I took Lexapro 10mg for a little over 2 weeks. I stopped cold turkey because I couldn't take it. It caused me to have night sweats, body jerking, fast heart rate, increased blood pressure. I have been off 1 week and have insomnia, still body jerks at night and feel like i want to cry all the time. Like increased anxiety. Are these withdrawals normal. Will they go away. I scared to death that I am going crazy

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sounds just like regular anxiety and not withdrawals. SSRI's need time to work, believe me i had those night sweats, night terrors, tense muscles, racing heart, head ache's, and bad nasuea but they all eventually faded away after a few weeks. maybe try another ssri like zoloft, and in the meantime maybe ask for a Benzodiazepine like Clonazepam to help until the body adjusts to the medicine, it helped me a lot. 

• Posted

They sound like regular AD symtoms to me.  You should maybe have started on 5mg for at least 2 weeks before going to 10 - they are stronger than citalapram although it seems many gps dont seem to realise this.  Anyway... night sweats, body jerking etc are what i experienced coming off them when I was at the end of my taper schedule and they lasted around a week but its been 5 weeks since i took my last one (think i was on about 2.5mg by then) and I'm feeling great.  maybe take 5mg to ease the withdrawal a bit..then cut down to 2.5, you may feel better.  Its not a drug to go cold turkey on as its really powerful.  Hang in there and it will get easier for you.

• Posted

I had the same problem with lexapro.I am a drug wimp so I only took half of the 10mg tablet prescribed. I was also prescribed .25 mg of Klonopin 2x a day which I took as directed.  After taking the 5mg of Lexapro for few days, I woke up with heart racing, a headache, and feeling like I was on fire in my arms and torso.  I called my psychatrist who said he'd never heard of that with anyone taking the drug.  I continued the drug but I experienced the same symptoms a couple of nights later.  My blood pressue shot up to 160/100 and my pusle was 125.  My husband thought I was having a heart attack and took me to the ER. That doctor said it was a migraine.  I stopped taking the drug and followed up with my gp who said it was nocturnal panic attacks.  I tried again to take the drug but after two nights, the same symptoms with the heart pounding, headache, and burning sensation happened again.

stopped the drug and only take the Klonopin when I have a panic attack. I do wish I could take the drug because I could feel a huge difference in just a few days time. The side affects were just too scary for me to continue. 

• Posted

i took 10mg of lexapro for 1 month and i had to stop it too, ive noticed that with the past 5 anti depresseants ive been put on all give me the same symptoms, worse anxiety, jerking, jittering, just overall feeling of zombieness, i was on most of them for 6 months, but ive decided to stop them all and let my body clear itself off all meds and try this out on my own, as since i got sick i jumped right onto meds and not really tried to go at it the natural way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.