LFT Results - High Serum GGT reading

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All - hope everyone is OK this evening - I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position to me and has some advice.

I've got my LFT & Ultrasound results back and my consultant has written to me saying that whilst I have a 'generally fatty liver which reflects diabetes control and alcohol intake, the latest results (blood tested in August) show a significant improvement in all the liver markers'.  The blood test I had previously was in July 18 and she was alarmed at the results.  Obviously I am very relieved about the latest results and I have now not had a drink for nearly 9 weeks.  The only reading that is still high is the GGT one.  It's 66 when it says it should be between 0 - 34.  I'm not overly worried about this as my Dr hasn't said anything in her letter and I have a GP's appointment in 2 weeks anyway so I can ask about it then.  I'm also unsure as to what GGT is.

I just thought I'd ask on here in case any of you have had a similar situation and what the outcome was.

Looking forward to any feedback.

All the best.

Humpty xxx

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hump

That's good news about the latest results. Did you do or take anything to help your liver function or was it simply cutting out alcohol?

I had a blood test last year and my GGT was 72 but the range at this particular lab was 0-54, so only slightly over! My GP didn't say anything about this result to me so wasn't concerned. Perhaps because the other liver functions were normal?

As far I know from limited reading, GGT is used mainly to indicate alcohol consumption. Other liver function tests can be high for reasons other than alcohol but GGT is fairly specific to alcohol. I think.

• Posted

Hi Mikey,  Yes I have stopped drinking because after about 25 years of alcohol abuse I finally got the wake up call I needed with this liver scare.  I had been warned for years by GP's that I was running faster and faster towards the edge of the cliff but i didn't take any notice as I felt OK but I was highly dependent on alcohol.  My latest results are so good that I'm now thinking they might be wrong!!  My ALT has come down from 164 to 19 in about 4 weeks and I have no desire to have a drink although my GP had mentioned that a previous reading had been 296 but I'm not sure what this reading was for.  Maybe that was a GGT result as well - I'll ask my GP on my next visit.. As you say I'm not too concerned either as other blood readings are now in range.

Thank you so much for replying.  It's so interesting to hear other people's experiences and being able to relate to many of them.

Hope you are OK and all is well with you.

All the best

Humpty xxx

• Posted

I have had this happen to me multiple times in my lifetime I am 54 and have been an alcoholic for most of my adult life...any time I had abstinence...after a certain period of time...all my results go back to normal.

I think you will be fine if you remain off the booze.

Because however when we are drinking and causing our organs not to function properly we are doing all kinds of damange to those organs and our brains which one day may be irreversible...you have a 2nd chance....and I truly believe that last # of 66 will come down to normal as well.

Congratulations on not drinking.

• Posted

Hi Misssy,  Thank you for your reply.  Very useful feedback.  I'll continue to not drink and see what results I get from the next LFT.

Have a great day!!

All the best Humpty xx

• Posted

Hi Dumpty. GGT is a marker of enzyme activity in your liver. It is one of the enzymes involved in the breakdown of non biological substances in your blood ie alcohol, drugs, anasthetics, toxins. The activity of the enzyme is increased in the presecnce of any of these things. If you took a painkiller for example before your test your GGT would be raised. The numbers your talking about are hardly significant which is probably why your practioner didnt mention it.

Well done on your abstinence!!

Kelly.

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

That makes sense as I also take sleeping tablets as well as other medication.  I'm not worried as the Dr hasn't mentioned it.

Thanks for your reply and have a great day!!

All the best

Humpty xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.