Libido increase

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I've been on citalopram for 8 months, i am feeling much better but do still have off days.  One thing i have noticed, which i am surprised by because i thought the opposite would happen, is that my libido has increased! This happened about 3 months after starting it and has continued.  Obviously, most people report a decrease in sex drive but it is the opposite for me.  Also, having intercourse seems much more enjoyable.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the Cit or is because i am generally happier?  It can be a bit inconvient at times.  I haven't been sleeping around, not my style, just one fling. I seem to be seeing men in a different light though, I think about having sex with them and I am lot more flirty. Sometimes i feel attracted to a lot of men which isn't like me usually -  I feel a bit like a bloke! Anyone had a similar experience of this on CIt or not being depressed anymore? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yo ..... I want what you're on lol :-)

Yes I've read it can have a decreased or increased effect on your libido, though think most people get a decrease.  It's definitely due to the medication.  Strange how they have different side effects on different people.

Enjoy! biggrin

• Posted

yes it is strange because i was on citalopram some years ago and my libido was dulled a bit but not this time around.  It sounds great but it can be a bit annoying. Your right though i should just be grateful and enjoy, thanks for your reply
  • Posted

Lucky you!

Unfortunately Citalopram has had the complete opposite effect for me (I'm male); and this is despite a regular gym routine and eating fairly well. On the one hand, I am in between jobs which might also be affecting me.

I believe your libido might be back because your general well-being has improved; you've mentioned you are a lot more flirtatious, which could be a result of your increased self-confidence due to the antidepressants. Hope you continue to feel better.

• Posted

HI,

Apart from the side effects I have reported here, off and on, over the past couple of months I too am suffering from a lack in libido! I love my partner and she turns me on, but there is "no end result" for me, please don't get me wrong I enjoy the fact she enjoys it. However, if what you said may happen for me, then all the ups and downs will be worth the struggle!

Glad to hear yer getting better.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi

I have experienced the same thing, I was worried as most people have a decrease but not me, feel so much happier about my body as well, I used to have an increase in libido a couple of days a month but now it's all the time, still trying to work on my confidence to chat someone up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.