Librium dosage and schedule recommendations

Posted , 4 users are following.

I avererage 8-12 beers after work daily 3-4 days a week. Off work days I drink 24-34 beers a day.... When I don't drink I don't get get the shakes but I do suffer extreme anxiety, panic, hot flashes and insomnia. I was prescribed Librium years ago when I had a problem back then . Doctor told me 50mg every 4-6 hours the first day, then 8-10 the next, then every 12, then 25mg every 12, then one then stop. I felt way too medicated and that dosage was too much . When I went through hard times back years ago they put me on Xanax and Zoloft, after about a year I felt better about my divorce and I stopped the meds cold turkey and had a seizure ... My doctor says I am forever at risk over any type of withdrawals .... It's been 12 years since that seizure .... Anyway, suffered another divorce 2 1/2 years ago and also the stress of being a first responder has sent me into this drinking pattern ... I want to stop . I am off duty this week from Tuesday to Saturday, returning Sunday.... What is your suggested Librium dose and schedule for the symptoms i described ? I have 19 25mg pills left to work with. Thank You

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry man can't help with doses etc but I to had a seizure because of drinking lost my job and all that. With that amount in you daily I hope your not driving because you will kill yourself or someone else. In you know you must get off it. Will power is the only way my friend good luck
    • Posted

Will power alone is not enough Kenny. Rick MUST have medication to stop or he could die from the withdrawal symptoms. After detox, the will power is needed smile
    • Posted

Wow Paul , even ThoughI dont get theshakes or anything ?  Like I said , I get hot flashes , bad anxiety , panic , nausea , cloudy headed ect .......   any recommendations for dosages and schedule ?

• Posted

I can't believe it, I replied in detail to your original post and it seems to have disappeared. I even read it AFTER posting and it was there! Let me try and say what I said again:

I am shocked that a doctor told you to take such high doses. The absolute maximum is 200mg a day or you risk respiratory problems.

30 mg four times a day is often enough for a person drinking up to 2 bottles of spirits a day, although some might have top up doses of 10mg in-between. You can never know how much a person will need before you start a detox.

However, not having enough is as dangerous as having too much.

Alcohol detox should be clinically supervised because Librium can lower your blood pressure so it should be checked before each dose. Simply giving a person a load of Librium with no proper supervision is asking for trouble.

As a qualified clinician who works in this field, I have to play 'jobsworth' here (I hate jobsworths, myself, so sorry). I can't recommend a dosage for you because I haven't met you and physically examined you. I know nothing of your medical history. I could be in serious trouble for making medical recommendations if something went wrong. I have to say that you should seek a doctor or nurse who is experienced in alcohol detox and talk to them about doing a detox safely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.