Lichen at the anus, how to treat?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I don't usually have flare-ups but with this hot humid weather I get soaked when I exercise and it has become a problem again, I think from the sweating.  Been taking a couple of showers a day, getting out of sweaty clothing quickly etc. but still an issue.  I don't want to use the clobetasol unless I have to as I have never been clear on whether it is beneficial or harmful.  I also have estrace to inject to recondition inside my vagina but do not have a boyfriend so I have not been working on that plan either right now. Have just been using a touch of coconut oil when sticky dry after showering and now bought some refined emu oil.

Finally took a good look at what is going on there as I have been very itchy in front and in back and see that the white skin has moved all the way up into the anus as well.  Do not know what to put there if anything.  I have a hemeroidal ointment that says it has whichhazel in it, or could use the clobetasol, or the oils.  Does anyone know?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I do not know the answers to your queries, but the EXCESS sweating rings a bell... even during/after exercise.  Please do yourself a favour and ask for a test for an Under Active Thyroid.  I was told I was going throught the Menopause again !!! You shouldn't have such an excess of perspiration and flare ups together....if you have been following some thoughts by members of this forum, then its surprising how many have an underactive thyroid and there could be a good link.   Have been told that there are serious side effects if you are not treated quickly... one of which you are experiencing... so it cannot hurt to ask. Wish you well.
  • Posted

Hi Woozie, 

At the beginning of this forum is a post 'New to LS-Start here' which is a webinar by Dr. Goldstein. It will explain to you how clobetasol works (don't let the word steroid scare you, it is needed and appropriate for some health concerns) and how to use it (soak the skin first). The white areas are LS progressing.

I asked my doctor a few days ago about ointment on the anus and she said do not put clobetasol directly on your anus, but on the affected areas close to it. Ensure you have bowel movements without straining (lots of water, fiber and exercise) to stop fissures from happening. 

• Posted

I think when white plaques of skin appear on the skin I would want to use the Clob, twice a day for a week, but that's me.   I am not sure of any natural creams/solution that will eradicate it, and I think if left untreated  it just spreads.  When your exercising why not apply vaseline or something similar to your anus which would stop it get sore with sweat.
  • Posted

I too find it difficult to stay on top of things with this extreme heat we have.  All I can say is - keep everything down there very clean, use baking soda rinses, and apply coconut oil.  Make sure you keep hydrated.  I have also used witch hazel to keep things calm.  When camping I bring a sitzbath, used with baking soda and some drops of tea tree oil in not too warm water.  

Wishing you well.

• Posted

I have the same problem as you as I exercise. I shower using Hydromol , (on prescription looks like vaseline but goes soapy when wet). I wash my anus in it, pat dry then apply a tiny amount of Hydromol direct to the affected area. Sometimes I put some coconut oil over the top and rub it in well. I try and wear comfortable knickers which are hard to find. After exercise I do same rigmarole!

I also use Vagifem. Am trying Estriol again tonight last time I used it I got backache so if it happens again I go back to Vagifem.

• Posted

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Of greatest help was the Dr Goldstein reference.  I went to that site and listened to his LS presentation to other doctors and I think I know more now than my own doctors!  I am going to call his office Monday and see if he still has opinings in the research trial and I would go to it as it is only 4 hrs away.  If not, I will use the clob as he directs.  He is definitely the most INFORMED DR I have ever heard on this subject and all gynos should learn from him.  He also talked of Neogyn which I had bought and have been afraid to use since my Dr knew nothing of it when asked.

I am not saying that biking is what brought all this to happen, but I did take up cycling just a couple of yrs before this LS became aggravated enough to finally get diagnosed.  Unfortunately, it has been my favorite sport, with bike tours and biking vacations as my mainstay.  So now I am going to have to continue more hiking and walking which is hotter---can't create breezes while walking!  I live in hot and humid VA.

Thanks  to everyone for the support!  This LS sure sucks but after having breast cancer 15 yrs ago, I guess I'd opt for this over fighting more cancer.

• Posted

If any consolation -  I purchased a different bike saddle and can bike again.  Not the long distances, but still, better than not biking at all.  At first a bit hard to find the best position on that saddle with these big 'cheek' at the back and short point, but one gets used to it.  

Indeed, LS is better than cancer, any cancer.  

Be well.

• Posted

I have the LS in  the anal area as well.  I was afraid to use the clobetasol there but when I checked with my gynacologist she said that was the thing to do.  So I agree with Guppy - twice a week until the LS symptoms subside.  Also with Hanny re baking soda spray, coconut oil for lubrication.  Works for me.
  • Posted

I have been looking for this topic forever.  I live in the United States.  I have been to 3 gynecologists and none of them has heard of a connection between lichens and a severe sweating, almost gaulding reaction to heat or exercise.  Everytime I am on the treadmill I start to burn within 20 minutes.  I'm at a fast walk, not even a run.  On a very hot day, I do the same thing.  I think this is somehow related to my lichens.  The doctors are baffled.  I even went to Cleveland Clinic, best in the Nation and the dr. said he's never had one patient with lichens mention this.  He said that I should go to dermatologist and see if there is a prescription to put on before I exercise...any thoughts???  Its sad that I try to be healthy by exercising but know my skin is going to be raw afterwards.
    • Posted

I think it most likely is linked to LS!!   Have you considered changing your exercise routine to something else, like swimming, or gentle yoga,  because I know that if I was to go on a treadmill for a while that my groin would start to sweat,  and that I would then become very hot and uncomfortable, in and around my Vjay.

I live in a hot country and I always make sure that I walk very early in the morning and early evening, as heat for me is a big no-no.....some people are just like that.

• Posted

I'm repeating a response to another posting because I think it's important.  I couldn't even vacuum the house before running with perspiration and it only got worse.  Eventually one enlightened Doctor tested me for an Under Active Thyroid as this is linked to Lichen as well.  Success....   So no more excessive sweating which makes such a big difference.    Its worth a try.. good luck.
    • Posted

I do have underactive thyroid and am on the generic for synthroid.  I take 75 mg.  I'm not quite understanding...how did this give you good results finally?
    • Posted

This extreme weather will do it for me too.  Extra careful with overheating is important.

• Posted

Yes, I have just recently been tested for this and everything under the sun.  The thyroid tested right.  Perhaps some people do just get hotter than others.  Just like some attract more mosquitoes than others, body chemistry is different in ways we may not be able to change.??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.