lichen or vitiligo

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a 35 yr old male. Six months ago started getting white spots and lines connecting them on my penis head. First dermatologist said it was nothing...He gave me protopic and it hasn't helped...went back again he said its nothing...I got a second opinion seeing that it is spreading...He said I have vitiligo...He used a wood's lamp to look at it...I'm concerned that it may be LS and not vitiligo but right now there are no sores and it doesn't burn or itch...If it's LS I would like to know and treat it early...I have multiple autoimmune problems...thyroid, sjogrens, interstitial cystitis...Anybody have any advice as to what I should do?

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Evening Jared

i have searched on the internet for “sexual health clinic tennessee“ and there was a few options. One of them was a Men’s Clinic, perhaps you could give them a ring and ask if if they know about LS. Then hopefully they can advise you where to go if they do not deal with LS. If the clinic is to far from you then they might be helpful and suggest another clinic.

Good Luck :-)

• Posted

Jared I often make 'leftover' soup with whatever vegetables I have in my cupboard. You can vary it but it's cheap and good for you. A word of warning about kale, it's very good for you but don't eat it every day. A friend said he had to go to the doctor with 'an embarrassing problem,' and the doctor immediately asked if he'd been eating lots of kale. He was growing it in his garden so had a glut. Needless to say I'm curious to know what the problem was but he wouldn't tell me...

So soup recipe;

BTW - I'll assume you've never cooked anything before, so apologies if I'm writing this below your ability level. Nothing in this recipe is critical, it's just to get you started and then you can branch out when you are comfortable.

Buy yourself some stock cubes, these are the one thing worth spending on for good quality (I use Kallo chicken - can anyone recommend a good US one?) Cheap ones are full of salt and additives.

1 onion

A couple of garlic cloves

A stick of celery

A carrot

Anything else left in your cupboard (maybe a potato, some greens, a turnip)

Put a tablespoon of oil in a deep pan and put onto a low heat on the stove top (for example, my dials go up to 9 and I put this on at 3). Take the tough outside skin off and chop the white inside into halves, then lay flat side down and chop into smaller (half inch maybe) pieces. Put into the warm pan and put the lid on. Stir every few minutes until they go sort of transparent, it will be obvious when you see it. In a recipe book this is what is meant by 'sweat the onion.' It can take about 20 mins, but don't be tempted to rush, they taste nicer if cooked slowly.

Chop the garlic into tiny, tiny pieces, clear a space in the middle of the pan and put the garlic in. leave it until you can smell the garlickly flavours begin to rise up. this will take 30 secs to 1 minute. Stir onions and garlic together. If you like celery, then add a washed stick, also chopped up small and stir in with the onion for a minute of two. Then add any hard vegetables you have, peeled and chopped (potato will make it creamy, carrot adds sweetness) and stir until they are coated with oil and lovely oniony, garlicky flavours.

Then pour in about a pint of boiling water from the kettle, and crumble a stock cube in. Two if you want more flavour (the stock cube packaging will tell you the number of cubes to use for the amount of water). turn up the heat to about 6 or 7 and let it bubble away for 20 mins or so. If you have green leaves of any kind, put them in after 10 mins to cook in the water. Now you have your soup.

You can blend it for a creamy soup, mash it with a potato masher for a halfway house. You can add a tin of chickpeas, mixed beans or canellini beans (in salted water rather than any kind of sauce) for extra protein, or grate cheese on top.

You can also put a handful of the small red lentils in just before you add the water, they cook in about 20 mins and are a very cheap way of adding protein.

if you want to add any other kinds of dried beans, read the cooking instructions carefully, some can make you sick if not boiled for a certain period, or take hours of soaking to cook. I cook everything from scratch and still won't do beans from dry, too much effort, tins work fine!

If you like it, then experiment with different combinations, you'll have some failures but, as they say, 'the only way to make good judgements is to have experience, and the only way to build up experience is to make bad judgements...!'

Get yourself a basic recipe book for beginners, one that explains everything; student ones are good here, they assume you've never even turned on an oven, and make it all really simple. it honestly is cheaper to cook from scratch than buy processed food - you are paying for the factory, the wages, the energy used. Wouldn't you rather just be paying for the food?

And I'll leave you with the story of my friend who taught her husband to cook by pointing out that 'you can read, so you can read a recipe book, so you can cook!'

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

(If you want to add a bone to the water, and I often do after making a roast, you have to cook the bone for an hour or so in water with a whole onion, a bay leaf and a carrot. The strain the water/broth out and save it, throw away the bone and veg, and use the broth instead of a stock cube and water. Much easier to use a good quality stock cube - which is the same thing that someone else has already done for you - until you are more comfortable with cooking, after which the sky's the limit!)

• Posted

! Bridge! goodness I had no idea... 

well I went googling after your statement about kale. One site even mentions thyroid and that kale is a cruciferous vegetable - I didn't knwo that. 

It jsut means ot eat it in moderations I think. 

I'e gotta run today, but I noticed quickly that there were a couple headlines dissing the kale "fear" .. so I'll read up on that later.  BUT THANKS for letting me there is an issue to balance out..  

• Posted

Hi

I use kallo vegetable yeast free stock cubes. They sell them in the uk 

, I don’t know about America, you’ll have to ask around. Since I’ve cut out yeast in my diet, my itchyness has reduced dramatically.

• Posted

Question for everyone? I'm gonna go to my GP and tell him my concerns since dermatologists are either dismissing me and because I have a good relationship with my Gp....so, I just have multiple white spots that don't itch or burn and no sores but they are spreading and there are white lines starting to connect them...It looks a lot more like the beginning of ls to me than vitiligo like one derm said...I feel stuck...I don't know if I should demand a biopsy because I don't know if it's progressed enough, but I also don't want to just let it run crazy and see if it turns into sores...So, I've already changed my diet drastically...I was going to tell my GP to check my vitamin levels....Should I ask him for steroid cream to get these white spots gone or stable while I work on my diet? If so should it be the Clobetasol you all use or a milder one since I only have the white spots and no sores?

• Posted

Jared honey, 

1. Trust your own intuition, did I say this one already?  TO the best of your knowledge, you know it is LS. 

2. Forget a biopsy, they are painful and I've read that some women who get them are sure that it made their LS WORSE.   

3. Forget the Clobesatol - it is very expensive, not covered by insurance and only really works on pain. You have no Pain. 

4.  Other nutritional support will clear the white spots just as well as the steroids WHEN COMBINED with diet changes.

5. You have already started a major diet/lifestyle change and we are proud of you.

6.  YES!!  Ask your GP to test your blood Vitamin D levels AND print off and take him the Premise Sheets that I worked up re: the need to get your autoimmune VItamin D levels up to 60 - 70 ng/dl..nothing less will fix these issues.  

7. Don't expect your good GP to know the whole extent of this issue, but be grateful that he is listening to you. 

8.  IF he hasn't got a TPO test done on you already, ask for that too.  (that's written up in the Maintenance/Recovery for Lichen Sclerosus sheet also.) 

9.  To make it easy to refind my workup on these issues here it the link: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/maintenance-recovery-premise-from-lichen-sclerosus-635047

10.  GOOD LUCK clearing ALL our autoimmune issues. Blessings,  

• Posted

I had the tpo done a long time ago... about 4 yrs ago...I had the antibodies then attacking my thyroid...ive been on thyroid meds since then
    • Posted

We know it's hard for doctors to keep up with every single study here and there. but it's time NOW that the association between THYROID and autoimmune ANYthing gets full respect - SO be polite but get this understood - the levothyroxin I and you take doesn't do the trick all by itself..... is that why I got the LS? 

Here is the write up of ONE of the articles that let me know the researech is complete... 

Vitamin D Deficiency and Its Association with Thyroid DiseaseDr. Amal Mohammed Husein Mackawy,(1) Bushra Mohammed Al-ayed,(2) and Bashayer Mater Al-rashidi(3)

Author information ? Copyright and License information ?

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Go to:Abstract

Objectives

Vitamin D deficiency is a global health problem, its role as an immune modulator has been recently emphasized. The evidence is increasingly pointing towards vitamin D significant role in reducing the incidence of autoimmune diseases. However, at this time the research on its role in autoimmune and thyroid disease is not conclusive.

We aimed to examine the relationship between hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency and to clarify the relation between serum calcium levels with hypothyroid disease.

Subjects and Methods

Serum vitamin D (25-OH) levels were measured in 30 patients with hypothyroidism and 30 healthy subjects, utilizing the spectrophotometric method. Vitamin D deficiency was designated at levels lower than 20 ng/ml. Thyroid hormones (TSH, T3 and T4) and calcium levels were evaluated in all participants.

Results

Serum 25(OH) vit D was significantly lower in hypothyroid patients than in controls (t=-11.128, P =0.000). Its level was insignificantly decreased in females than male patients (t=- 1.32, P >0.05). Moreover, serum calcium levels recorded a significant decrease in hypothyroid patients when compared to controls (t= -5.69, P = 0.000).

Conclusion

Our results indicated that patients with hypothyroidism suffered from hypovitaminosis D with hypocalcaemia that is significantly associated with the degree and severity of the hypothyroidism. That encourages the advisability of vit D supplementation and recommends the screening for Vitamin D deficiency and serum calcium levels for all hypothyroid patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.