lichen planopilaris and covid vaccine

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I appreciate that it might a bit early to advise on this matter. But I am really nervous about taking the covid vaccine.

Back in 2016 i took that flu jab and within about two week i started to develop lichen planus on my body. Following that it resulted in lichen planopilaris on my scalp. This has left very big patches of permanent hair loss.

It taken four years to get everything under control and asking 10 different doctors for advise, I took hydroxychloroquine for 6 months for get things under control.

Now the covid vaccine is very much similar to the flu jab and i am not sure what to do.

Especially when employers are considering it to be mandatory and you might not be able to travel without vaccines.

What options to people have under these situations.

many thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

When you say your LP is under control, do you mean it's gone or is it just more manageable? I can completely understand why you'd be nervous if the flu jab is what triggered your LP in the first place.

This hadn't even crossed my mind, but now that you mention it, I am slightly concerned. I've currently got a mild case that I've had for a year, and the last thing I would want to do it trigger it and make it worse... especially as I have no idea what suddenly triggered it in the first place.

I haven't been told by my employer that it would be mandatory to get the vaccination. There is still a while to go before I would even get offered it, so I've got time to see how my LP plays out.

Saying that however, catching COVID could also have an effect on the LP as it's ultimately affecting your immune system. Argh, its just a frustrating situation really!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.