Lichen Planus

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi there .. I have just been told by my GP that I have Lichen Planus "arm,legs," with a little on my body....Its a rash that just appears... small spots... can anyone put any light on this disease ....I am driving myself mad looking at every site on the net and just read it can make your hair fall out ...

1 like, 89 replies

89 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed 4years ago with this condition, it was in my mouth and also on my arms and legs, It did go away on its own after about 2 years but i still do get the odd time when it comes back.Dont always believe what you read online, ask your doctor for information about it.
  • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to replay......I haven't seen a dermatologist yet so I am hopeing that it just might be an alergy...Today my arms are looking a little better but my legs are as bad as ever... The only thing is it not itchy... I am to see the doctor for more Emovate cream tomorrow....

I just panicked when i relized it could make your hair fall out.. and it didn't grow back...

Regards Barbara

• Posted

Hi there, I agree with what Jenc said - when you read about it, I think they always tell you all the things that can happen but that doesn't mean everyone gets all of the symptoms. My rash does not look as bad as the photos there are to look at and I worried that it might get that way, but why worry prematurely? Some sites and posts are way too scary for me.
  • Posted

hi itchy person,i didnot find mine itchy at all just really sore,I hope all went well for barbi today, i think she said she was going to see the dermatoligist,x
  • Posted

hi itchy person,i didnot find mine itchy at all just really sore,I hope all went well for barbi today, i think she said she was going to see the dermatoligist,x
  • Posted

I had l. planus for about two years too. it had a good old romp around my body . I got a couple of very small bald patches on my scalp but they re okay again now.
  • Posted

Thanks for all your support.... Well I have good news .. my rash is a little better... I can still see all the little "flat" spots but they are not red and angry now... ... My GP says not to see the dermatoligist just yet as they will only give me a very strong steroid cream and the rash look like its setteling down....... steroid cream is not something I like using...

I am leaving my hair dye for the moment ..yes my roots need doing, don't want all my hair going down the plughole..

.Now My question is .... can having a little sun make it worse or better or will I need to cover my arms and legs all summer...thats providing we get some sun........

Regards to all Barbara....

• Posted

Hi Barbara

Good news that your rash is a bit better, I think mine is too - although whenever I say that it usually gets worse again! I would be reluctant to see a dermotologist just now also as I think once they have you, it's a never ending round of appointments. I have still used hair dye as my scalp has been okay and regarding the sun, I have read that this often gets better during the summer months - so hopefully the sun will help as long as we don't overdo it.

I have read a lot of posts on other sites from people thinking it's a hormonal thing, so interested to see if my skin stays better or gets worse during my next period. There seems to be a lot of mixed reports about this though - it can't be hormonal if it clears up during the summer months! Maybe some things work for some people and other things for others - but it's good to try anything/everything when it's bad. Here's hoping our respite from it lasts. Take care.

• Posted

It seems to be two things, Itchy one- cause and effect. Hormones might be one of a number of things that cause it , especially when our oestrogen is low, plus infections, genetics etc..but the vitamin D we get in Summer might help to subdue it.

There is evidence that taking vitamin D supplements can help in other auto-immune diseases, so why not ours? I have a packet on my shelf and sometimes I remember to take one, lol. Come to think of it, my symptoms have been much more bearable of late....but who knows, perhaps they would have been anyway.

• Posted

Once when I had lich. planus, my ankles and feet had lots of small hard red pimply spots, non itchy. At my grand-daughter's school sports day I decided to stretch my bare feet and legs out in the sun for the best part of a couple of hours- the result? Hundreds more!! Ah well, we can only try.
  • Posted

Hi there girls....well I am still on the mend, my rash is not nearly as bad as it was.... I did sit in the sun over the weekend.."with hairy legs" as I am not sure what to use on them to remove the hairs...I have a lady shave but sometimes wax or wet shave them....but they are badly in need of a shave..LOL....

About vit B .. well i had a small operation in January and didn't got out for about a month, so no vit D did I get, maybe with my immune system being low after the op and no vit D now that could have been the cause....and to top that I am also at the age were my hormone levels could be low...

O yes I did dye my "hair" roots ... I still have my hair so fingers XXX I don't need to start looking at wigs....

lets hope we can all be "rash" free all summer.....Best wishes Barb...XX

• Posted

Hi Ladies

I have been sitting in the sun for short spells while Scotland is lucky to bask in warm temperatures and although a couple of spots have itched a wee bit again, it's not been too bad and hasn't got any worse. Maybe it depends if we're having a bad attack of it at the time. I managed to shave my legs to sit in the sun and they actually looked better after I had, only a few red bumps and it feels so good to wear cropped trousers when I get home from work and get some air on my skin. However, my LS has flared up quite badly just now - if it's not one thing it's the other, lol! The propolis cream hasn't been a success, I prefer to use the dermovate when it's bad and the emu oil only seems to soften the skin. Oh the joy to go to bed where I don't have to wear knicks! Glad your hair never fell out Barb! Take care. x

• Posted

Hi All....Sorry about your LS .. Itchy.. I don't know much about LS myself....but I hope I don't get it.. it sounds very uncomfortable ... Lets hope your cream works quickly...X

I have been out in the sun pottering about the garden and my LP is still getting a little better each day...I use just a simple Doublebase Gel each day Its just a moisturising Gel I find it works ok on my skin.. Also about 2 years ago I got Rosacea and only use Simple soap/shampoo and creams....O yes I don't put the doublebase on my face...I also don't get any sun on my face at all.....Do you think that this LP is a spin off from Rosacea??

Lets hope we get a decent summer and can can all wear short sleeves...

best wishes XX

• Posted

Hi Barbara

Funny you should say that about rosacea as I also have that and it was worse when my LP started! I suppose both things being to do with the skin probably means there is a connection. My gp prescribed oxytetracycline and it seemed to help with the latest outbreak. I've had rosacea for over 10 years and have just bought a Clinique product called Even Better skin tone corrector as I read discussions for rosacea where people were finding this product really good for it. Glad your skin is getting better and you are getting out in the garden, I'm finding the warm weather is okay with my skin but I'm only staying out for short spells. The LS is tough to deal with, hoping the flare up does not last too long. x

• Posted

Hi all

Has anyone had lp on sole of foot/feet? One of mine has been sore and itchy for 3 days and the dermovate is not helping much?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.