Lichen planus

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have had oral and vaginal lichen planus for about 18 years now and I,ve recently been diagnosed with inflammation of the  oesphagus does anyone know if it could be connected to lichen planus ? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

More than likely yes.  Only way to tell for definite is to ask for a biopsy.  It is very rare.  I have been diagnosed myself after difficulty swallowing.  I have had a couple of stretches using a balloon to dilate the oesophagus and have been fine for around a year now.  
    • Posted

Thanks for getting back to me I also had difficulty swallowing and had an endoscope which I was told was showing Barretts oesphagus they took biopsies which are benign but now I have got a letter from the hospital telling me it's inflammation I don't know whether Barretts and inflammation are the same do you ? It gets very confusing they,ve given me medication for acid reflux which has helped but is there anything else I could try I,m very careful what I eat and I know most of the food and drinks to avoid. Have you had it a long while and have they said if it's likely to be long term or is there a chance it might heal up by itself . Mine seemed to start when I started going through the menopause .

• Posted

Maybe ask them to review biopsy for Lichen Planus?  My consultant told me it is really rare, so they might have overlooked it.  If it is OLP, lanzoprasole won't help.  This is autoimmune and you need to support your immune system by supplementing with Vitamin D.  Get a blood test to make sure you are not deficient.  Spicy foods don't help but I expect you know that already.  Do you have mercury fillings?  I had mine removed by a competent dentist.  Some say there is a link.  Also, I gave up meat and dairy so am now vegan plus fish.  All this helps reduce inflammation.  Get plenty of Omega 3 fats and cut down on inflammatory saturated fat.  I've ready that OLP is linked to a virus and it is possible it can go away by itself.  I stay away from pharmaceuticals personally.  The gastroscopies helped with lesions to open up the oesophagus but since then I think an anti-inflammatory diet has meant I haven't been having swallowing issues for a long time now.  Just my personal approach - hope it helps.  Good luck.

• Posted

I agree it's virus related as I was positive for Epstein Barr virus also mercury fillings I had loads removed over years but not by a competent dentist so I think I've got mercury in my system !! Hey ho I also am vegan and take suppliments to help

• Posted

Interesting that we are following a very similar thought process and approach.  I was diagnosed with benign Multiple Sclerosis five years ago, another autoimmune condition triggered by a combination of EppsteinBarr, genetic predisposition and lifestyle.  It can't be a coincidence, though OLP is so rare there is no research on this.  I'm following the OMS program, which advocates a whole food, plant-based diet with fish, exercise, meditation to reduce stress and plenty of Omega 3 oils, particularly flax oil, plus Vit D supplementation.  You can't mess around with MS but so all the research points to this approach as promoting recovery and I'm certainly feeling fine with no symptoms or relapses in that 5 year period.

• Posted

Hi Joyce ,

Yes. It can appear there too sorry to say . I am keeping my olp under control using homeopath remedies as follows :- Merc 200 and sil 200 I get these from a homeopath highly recommend better than steroids !! Mary

• Posted

hi thanks for your reply I,m taking lansoprazole for acid reflux which has helped . I don't know what merc and sil are are they from the health shop and would they be ok to take with prescribed medication thanks 

• Posted

You have to get them from a homeopath but defo keep my mouth from hurting are safe to take with medication
    • Posted

Hi Mary, is it merc sol 200 and what is sil ...i have been using nat mur and it helped a little , its hard to find the answer..
    • Posted

It just says Merc 200 she gives me that coz thinks olp is due to mercury in my body from botched teeth extraction s the silica is for cracked corner of mouth which are so sore ! She gives me AAA and buddleia for anxiety n stress the beauty of visiting a homeopath is they treat the whole person to get to the underlying cause of the illness she helps me control this awfull bloody LP !! I don't want to take steroids xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.