Lichen Planus and Vegetarian

Posted , 12 users are following.

Two years ago I woke up with OLP.  I believe I had LP for eight years prior without being diagnosed.  For over a year I have been on an immune suppressent which keeps LP/OLP under control. 

My sister-in-law believes it's because I'm a vegetarian.  So now I'm curious as to how many of you are meat eaters or vegetarians.  I've read some post which suggest the paleo diet, but I've also read articles which say your immune system cannot be boosted by drugs and diet.  I'm interested in any thoughts on this subject.  Please state whethere you are a meat eater or not so I can get a consensus.  Thank you!

1 like, 86 replies

86 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am a meat eater. As well as the T2 diabetes I have an under active thyroid and I believe the latter can cause auto immune issues. If, when I see the dermatologist next Friday, he confirms that my skin problem is caused by LP I will ask him if the thyroid problem plays a part. I read a book when younger that said once into the thirties it was difficult for a person's digestive system to adapt to vegetarian lifestyle but I do support and applaud those who have made the change like, for instance, my grandson's fiancée. Good luck to you. Personally I just want to stop having the urge to constantly scratch myself to pieces. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I became a vegetarian at 49, and I am now 63.  I am in excellent health and take no medications except for the immune suppressant for LP/OLP.  Currently it keeps it under control for me, but I want off of it as soon as I can.  i don't want to take any drugs.   I feel for you with your itching and the progress of this illness. I don't think being a vegetarian makes any difference, but thought it would be interesting to investigate.
  • Posted

Meat eater. One of the few things I can safely eat without bad effects. Prior to this, I was vegetarian. That diet may have been catalyst for immune disorder.
    • Posted

Thanks for answering.  I will be interested in any other responses, as I don't really feel being a vegetarian is what brought this on, but I'm not discounting it.  This is my search for if it is a factor.  I would eat (organic) meat immediately if I thought it would make this go away.  I've had allergic reactions beginning as a child and off and on over the years, but nothing like this.  It's so frustrating not knowing.
    • Posted

The more I think about it the more unsure I am about trying a Vegetarian diet brought this all on. I know I had Lymphocytic Colitis and Arthritis prior to trying that diet. The LC hadn't been diagnosed yet. I'd have to wait another 20 years for that. I think this is more complicated than diet. I really really want to stay in touch with this particular group of followers/answers. I'm in my 60's, sick since 30's. Not diagnosed til 50's except for Arthritis . That was 40's. I'm in U.S of ANGLO-VIKING descent. Have multiple autoimmune disorder. Do not feel, look, nor act my age. Refuse to let this wayward syndrome get me down. Mother died of Lupus.
    • Posted

I was hesitant, too.  My mother had breast cancer, and I was sure it would be me next.  I am 63 and so far so good.  I don't want to be on them forever but I am thinking for six more months, then I'll see if I can get off them.  I'll post on this site and keep you up to date.

• Posted

Don't forget about the Hydroxycloroquinolines or whatever they'te called. Also note people the similarity between QUININE and QUINOLONES if you ever need an antibiotic.
  • Posted

Hi Sasr

I have had OLP for nearly 2 years. I eat chicken and fish but very little red meat. Can't see the connection myself but as

M open to suggestions.

My consultant wants me to start taking immunesuppressants but I am very reluctant. How have you been since taking them if you don't mind me asking and will you be on them for ever?

• Posted

Thank you for your response.  I don't see the connection to being a meat eater or not but I am interested in all opinions.  I take mycophenolate.  I've been on it for about 18 months.  My doctor said he'll back me off of it if I go through a three month period without flareups.  So far, that hasn't happened.  But it does keep it in check and makes my life easier.  I am very interested in getting off of it when possible as I doubt it will be affordable next year when I get medicare (I live in U.S.).  I will say I have not had any other illnesses since I've  been on it so I don't feel my immune system is compromised.  I am, however, an avid hand washer and try to avoid sick people.
    • Posted

Thanks Sasr. Do you mind if I ask which immunosuppressives you are on?

i really don't want to go on them. Do you think they work if you kep having flare ups. 

• Posted

Thank you. I think I will also become an avid handwasher if I go on them. It makes sense.

My main worry is the increased risk of skin cancers as I practically live outdoors, walking, gardening, camping etc. It's my relaxation and de stressing strategy. Seems like a huge price to pay for a sore mouth. It's encouraging to hear that you are doing so well on them.

I like your thread it's really interesting. Diet is so important and ad they say you are what you ear! I avoid night shades and sugar, alcohol and caffeine and go easy on wheat but at times in a cafe with friends the only thing on the menu I can eat is cake.

Good to talk to you.

• Posted

I am on mycophenolate. Two pills twice a day.  It definitely works.  I still have a little redness in my mouth around my teeth.  The flare ups I referred to are minimal.  A little swelling in my cheeks, just enough to notice, for a day or two.  Or a little soreness in the back of my gums here and there.  I've had one blister since going on them.  The doctor is looking for no changes for three months.  Those flare ups are just so he'll no I am not complete consistent yet.
    • Posted

I'm going to Google that med you are on. What Country are you in ??
  • Posted

I have met a few that feel there is a strong connection with having non veg and developing erosions. I seldom eat red meat. I used to have chicken and fish in moderation. 

Since I developed OLP I have personally avoided chicken; esp as it gets lodged in between my teeth and is difficult to clean. I did not want to aggravate the oral hygeine. P.S:  My gums have receded with OLP and so lot of gap between my teeth

My current flare up took place 4 weeks back and the only change in diet was I had fish for 3-5 days as I was in my home town which is a coastal city. I have started with eggs and some chicken which does not seem to affect my condition at the moment. I shall experiment with a fish only diet when I am better. 

• Posted

I appreciate your answer.  I feel for you as it appears you struggle with your OLP more than I presently do.   I worry about it progressing to the point of receding gums.  A couple of times I have worried my nails were going to break open, but so far they have not.  I quit eating red meat long before I gave up all meat in 2001.  I don't feel being a vegetarian caused this, but I intend to investigate it further.  I pray your illness calms down and you are able to cope better with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.