Lichen Planus and Vegetarian

Posted , 12 users are following.

Two years ago I woke up with OLP.  I believe I had LP for eight years prior without being diagnosed.  For over a year I have been on an immune suppressent which keeps LP/OLP under control. 

My sister-in-law believes it's because I'm a vegetarian.  So now I'm curious as to how many of you are meat eaters or vegetarians.  I've read some post which suggest the paleo diet, but I've also read articles which say your immune system cannot be boosted by drugs and diet.  I'm interested in any thoughts on this subject.  Please state whethere you are a meat eater or not so I can get a consensus.  Thank you!

1 like, 86 replies

86 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thanks Sasr ! I'm a meat
    • Posted

My aunt, great-grandmother and great-aunt were named Wilhemina. As well as, Closena or in one case, Klausena.
    • Posted

Great name I love it named after grandmother & great grandmother. I'm doing family history found where the pattern for twins, elipesy & asthma are but otherwise North East Scotland

although grt uncle moved to Canada then Californa & I was

thinkin of getting graphology DNA teat done to see if there was something there

• Posted

What is a graphology DNA teat ?? Or did you mean test ?? Cuz, to me, a teat is something all together different !! Ahem !!
    • Posted

Yep meant test lol . I just interested in finding where family

came from in the far distant past no other reason.

• Posted

My Aunt was named Closena Wilhelmina. She was named after both deceased aunts who died in their 20's from Tubercolosis. She went by Sena. Thats one of the reasons my Great grandparents came to America (clean air) with their two grown sons. (One my grandfather). They had two younger sons also, but still grown -- about 18 yr old *TWINS*. They got stuck at Ellis Island for testing positive for Tubercolosis. They had a special island in the bay with hospitals (asylums) for TB patients, etc. They have shows of this on those Ghost Hunter Channels. They were eventually released but, ended up dying of TB or "Consumption" about 8 to 10 years later. I'm way off subject. Just never saw the name on internet before. My Aunt was NOT pleased with having BOTH names. Lol. It's Swedish. Maybe German, too.
    • Posted

The twins had TB and eventually died, not my Great grand-parents.
    • Posted

I think they were called after my great grandfather which was

quite common over here as a middle name or the "shame" if

they were born on the wrong side of the blanket males usually given father surname as middle. Again off the subject.

• Posted

Where are you ?? I just found out we can private message people on here. But haven't discovered that trick yet. I'll check it out later. I want to stay in contact with you and Julia and Sasr, etc. This is "DNA" thing is the most exciting discussion so far.
    • Posted

Hi Jaye I'm in Aberdeen Scotland so Scandinavia & Germany not too far away but probably from deapest darkest Scotland button should be interesting none the less and you?
    • Posted

I don't know what just happened to what I was typing. It disappeared. So here I go again. I'm in Omaha NE USA. AND I'm so excited you are Scottish !!! That's so popular in U.S. right now !!! Because of OUTLANDER !! Aaaah, Jamie Fraser -- AKA Sam Heull. Are you familiar with these books and the Show ??? Because I can fill you in and it would be my pleasure !!!
    • Posted

I hope Annie gives you a heads up on that one, JayeKaye! I have followed Claire and Jamie's story since the first book, published as "Cross Stitch" in the UK; I got my daughter reading them as well as lots of others, and I bought her the first DVD for her 50th  birthday this year,  My husband and I went to visit Drumossie Moor and the Culloden Museum about 20 years ago now. Very moving and evocative. We stayed near Inverness for about a week. Didn't find the stones, though.
    • Posted

Just lost everything Love the Outlander books read the lot as

well as the Lord John series but I've not seen the series

Apparently is was fimed in Fife/ Perthshire areas well worth a

look on Google. I live about 1/2 hrs walk from the beach

Aberdeenshire is Castle & whisky country 20 mins drive and

we're in countr very lucky. Sorry but know of Sam or any of his

work I always thought Kevin Kidd as an older Jamie he was born in the North East so probably a bit biased and Sergonie Weaver

as an older Claire. I really don't know much about Omaha so

we'l have find that private setting!

• Posted

Very earie place though it had very stranger atmosphere I

walked the battlefield startling to see the clan stones

• Posted

Are you in the UK too ?? When you said daughter I was like "Oh No" and looked like the kid from "Home Alone" movie. Then you said 50th Birthday and I said "Whew!". She IS familiar with the books and read them all. I switched to private messaging. This is much more fun than LP and OLP !! LOL!!
    • Posted

Yes that was my experience too AnnieWillhemina. I too have read most of the Lord John books as well and the short stories. I approached the TV series with reserve, but it is excellent. DVD 1st 8 episodes.  I am going to get an Amazon Fire Stick in the New Year and sign up to Prime. I was cross about this, I had hoped it would be more mainstream but alas! 21st century life. My daughter's partner comes from Glasgow and he has happily sat and watched it with her. Bless!
    • Posted

Yes, south London.  I tell people tongue in cheek that I was a child bride, ha ha. I became a great grandma this year. And I have not yet reached 70 yet. If we have to be afflicted it is wonderful to have such intensively well researched, historically accurate and brilliant writing to take our minds off it. 
    • Posted

What is a Graphology DNA test ?? Is it an Ethnic background test ??
    • Posted

Yeah, I am curious as to DNA and ancestry, as well.  I am one of five kids, the youngest, and the ONLY one afflicted with autoimmune illness.  I don't get it.  Several of us have a little trouble with Psoriasis, but nothing terrible.  Mine started when I was 18, but it went into remission for a long time, came back for a few years, now in remission again. I've had a few problems with nasal allergy issues (mold, cedar), but I don't think any of my siblings have.  Do any of you have sibling with LP/OLP?  Why would it attack me and not my siblings?  My parents didn't have this problem either.  As far as I know, other than the psoriasis from my dad's side of the family and some exzema here and there, no one, no cousins, nephews or nieces, have LP/OLP.  Just little ole me.
    • Posted

YOU HAVE TWO RECESSIVE GENES probably. I am the only one in my family with LP/OLP. My Sister has the Lymphocytic Colitis (LC), Arthritis, Fibro. I think some of this is due to Recessive Genes. That's what I meant in one of my earlier threads but, I didn't explain it very well. My Sister is not nearly as sick as I am. So she probably carries the recessive genes and sometimes, due to environmental triggers it gets activated and manifests. I, on the other hand, have very short stature, platinum blonde hair, fair skin, and blue eyes. All Recessive genes, which means I received a recessive set from both parents and she received only one. I am also Rh Negative. No one else in the family, for the generations we are familiar with, is Rh Negative. And it's also Recessive. I also have a rare Morning Sickness that is Recessive. Same as Princess/Duchess Kate's Morning Sickness. When I say "Recessive", I mean you have to have a double, recessive set to have the trait be able to manifest. This is called a Phenotype. A "Dominant" gene is stronger and will mask the Recessive trait. The Genotype (hidden in the molecules) will reflect the Recessive gene but the PHENOTYPE (Expressed outwardly in/on the person) will usually reflect the dominant genes. So my guess is -- you received more Recessive genes than your siblings. Your Siblings are either one Recessive & one Dominant, or Both sets are Dominant only. Their "Phenotype" will be different than you because they manifest the dominant gene. My Sister is taller & darker haired than me. My Sister can control her LC by eliminating certain medications from her healthcare. I cannot. I tried. I hope I didn't bore you or confuse you. I am a former Professor and Scientist and had a Private Practice in Healthcare. My point being -- I can get carried away. You can ask me anything you want and if I'm not clear, let me know. My name is Judy and I'm in Omaha NE USA.
    • Posted

Hi Judy, No I am fascinated.  You are definitely educating me.  I don't know much about recessive and dominant genes so the more I learn maybe the more I will understand.  I find this fascinating, and wish to learn more to help find an answer that will help me.
    • Posted

Judy, I did see your post about hair loss.  That explains a lot to me.  I attributed it to a shock I went though, but maybe it was autoimmune all along.  I am 63.  The doctor thought I had RA because I woke up one morning with a rash and my feet swollen three times their size.  In a week, the swelling left my feet and went into my knees.  I literally watched it happen and the pain was excruciating.  I could barely walk.  About aweek later, the swelling left my knees and went into my shoulders.  I had pain for about four months total, then it went away.  All tests came back negative.  Oddly, the day before this happened, I cut a bush down in my yard.  I remember it smelled so strong I had to hold my head away from it.  I couldn't take the smell.  It might have been a lilac bush.  Lilac gave me hives as a child.  I have never had that swelling again, but have seen the rash on my feet ocassionally.  I guess some things can't be explained, but I'm beginning to add up all these issues as autoimmune related.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.