Lichen Planus/Lichen Schlerosus

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Lichen Schlerosus 6 months ago & last week my brother was diagnosed with Lichen Planus. Is there any hereditary links with these?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

No, I don't think so. Lichen Schlerosus and Lichen Planus are two different and unrelated diseases.
    • Posted

However both diseases may be autoimmune diseases and to that extent, at least in theory, they could be familial.
    • Posted

I didn't realise they were different diseases, I just assumed they were with the "Lichen" bit.
  • Posted

They are different, but similar. It is not unusual for someone who has one to have the other as well. There is also lichen simplex chronicus which is similar.

They are not classified as autoimmune conditions, however there is a community that believes they are. I have found that treating them as such has given me good results in treatment.

There is some evidence to show there is a genetic predisposition to the conditions. My mother and grandmother each had one or both. I have both. I believe a nephew has LP and a cousin has LS.

• Posted

Ooops! That's lichen simplex chronicus. I don't know much about it, other than the main symptom is chronic itching and can be mistaken for LS (and vice-versa). A quick google will properly explain it. Sorry!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.