Lichen Planus/Lichen Sclerosus - New Treatment

Posted , 8 users are following.

There was a short comment on the forum from a lady who had been given low dose Naltrexone as a trial treatment (USA I think).  She had had excellent results.  Has anybody else tried this?  I will be seeing my dermatologist in May and would very much like to present him with further details.  I understand that low-dose Naltrexone has been found to assist with auto-immune diseases (full dose is used to treat substance abusers).

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathryn.  Was this for taking internally or for applying locally?  I can't find her post. 
    • Posted

It was to take internally.  i actually copied the post as I intend to show it to my dermatologist.  I have pasted a copy of the main paragraph below:

"The new doctor transformed my life. I have not had a flare up in a year. My skin is healing and all that is left is some marks that will eventually fade. He put me on a trial of low dose naltrexone. In its normal quantity it is for substance abuse issues, however in the low dose they are finding it helps with autoimmune issues. I was the first patient he had to have lichen planus however, he has used it to treat similar conditions. It has very limited side effects and no long term side effects so we gave it a shot. I am happy to say it is cheap ($25 a month) and very effective!  I have no side effects and could not be happier that I've been free of lichen planus for a year.  I take it at night as I was told by my Dr. that is more effective at night.  I would research it a little and bring it up to your doctor as an option. I hope this helps someone in in someway! I can sympathize with how terrible lichen planus is to deal with."

• Posted

Hi Kathryn

Do you know if naltrexone low dose is available in the UK on the NHS? I've had LP flare-ups for years and the last ongoing one is driving me nuts!

• Posted

In the UK, LDN is only available privately. Google DIckson's Pharmacy in Scotland. They will give you contact to a private Dr who does phone consultations world wide for around £30 I think. The scripts go to Dickson's Pharmacy who post worldwide. It costs around £28 to £35 for a month + shipping depending on what formulation you buy. Sublingual drops are the best to use in terms of tummy related side effects. Dicksons ships thousands of doses of LDN monthly. Their Pharmacist also offers consultations to see if you are on any interacting drugs (like opiods).  I recommend this a lot for autoimmune and cancer patients (+ also used for infertility)

• Posted

It was posted by Amonte under skin and nails forum.  I am very interested in information about Naltrexone, too.  I am in the US. I don't see my dermatologist until July, but I intend to bring it up.  I am interested in any results reported here and will post when I go to my dr. My next appointment is July, but I am not sure I will wait until then.  I am going to research and try to have articles with me to support giving this a try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.