Lichen Planus--Loss of taste

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had Lichen planus (oral) for nearly 2 years now--can cope with the discomfort--but have a very metallic taste in my mouth which means any food tastes fairly bad.Very few meals are enjoyable now which is very depressing--I am fighting it but nobody seems to know anything that helps.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WITH THE SAME THING__METALLIC TASTE????

AND THE ANSWER IS?????

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if u havn't already tried them there are steroid lozenges or mouthwashes u can try to help with the metallic taste

• Posted

Mmmmm thanks for that--have tried Betamethazone -strong steroid but it upsets my stomach a bit and leads to extreme anxiety--food a problem but try hot garlic prawns in oil or mediun chicken tikka

• Posted

Hi Richard , I have been diagnosed with oral Lichen Planus a couple of weeks ago. The symptoms started 6 months ago. The worst part of it all is the metallic taste in my mouth . I agree it ruins my meals , takes the enjoyment away , so frustrating. Since this is new to me i have no answers . I will be following this forum for answers. Someone suggested "cellcept" medication. Another person says medical marijuana oil manages there symptoms. Since this is so new to me i am still having a hard time believing the diagnoses.

Hope you find some answers.

• Posted

I just read that some people are getting relief from a mouth rinse called "dexamethasone"

• Posted

Must try that--have tried Betamethazone a strong steroid but it had an undesirable effect on me --very anxious symptoms!!---Can't win!!!--Let me know if you find something

• Posted

Just came back from doctor . I have some other symptoms happening in my throat, not sure if you do. I have a raspy dry cough and hoarse voice box. Doctor thinks i have acid reflux happening at night when i sleep . So i am going to take Pantoprazole Magnesium for a month. My lichen planus symptoms and throat problems started at the same time . Will be interesting to see if clearing up the acid reflux will have an effect on my mouth.

But for now I will keep using the ointment from my doctor "Taro-clobetasol ". Just use a small amount on my finger and apply to the inside of my mouth , helps inflammation but still have metallic taste . Will let you know how i feel after taking acid reflux medication. Cheers !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.