Lichen Planus on the vulva.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've just been diagnosed with this on the vulva and have been prescribed Dermovate and also Hydromol and Dermol as an emollient. I'm to see the dermatologist again in three months.   Has anyone else got it on the vulva?  I'd be grateful for any tips or advice.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

forgot, was diagnosed with oral lichen planus  yesterday ( which brought me to this forum).  I bought I just had some gum issues when I was sent to the periodontist.  I don't know what the treatment will be...

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you've now been diagnosed with oral lichen planus, Ellen.  I'm afraid I don't know what the treatment is, but I'm sure there are others on this forum who have the same disease.  Might be worth reading through the other posts.  Pleased that Elidel helped you with the vulval issues.  I'm in the UK, so I'm not sure what that is and will have to look it up.  Take care and I hope that things soon improve for you.

• Posted

Hi Ellen 

I have olp too it's all connected, I had trouble with smear test years ago and needed colposcopy for abnormal cells, how old are you? The virus that causes these cells to change is the cause for some LP 

• Posted

Same here I'm in UK don't think we have this one called Eldel fk we 

• Posted

Ask your doctor to prescribe it.  It must available in UK. Keep searching until you find a physician to help you.
  • Posted

The only thing I use is Clobetasol Propionate Ointment. My dermatologist said that is the only thing she recommends. I tried a prescription pill but could not tolerate it. During the summer I tried to wear skirts so I wouldn't have to wear underpants. When I go out I have to wear underwear and a pad because of occasional incontinence. She advised to only wear Kotex products since they are made of cotton. The worse thing is that if I happen to rub my vaginal area during the night it will feel like I ripped a tear in my vulva and will burn horribly when I urinate. Sometimes I have to get a small ice pack and place it on my vaginal area. I am going to see my doctor soon and ask her about some of the medications that you have mentioned. I am sorry I don't have any good suggestions.

• Posted

Hi - I also have this and have not had much success with the steroid creams as it flares up again soon after in my case. I've found it very challenging to deal with and to come to terms with. I'm trying a more natural route of Turmeric tablets with peperine from Holland and barrett and juicing at home so that I'm feeding my immune system and skin with masses of nutrients. The nurse recommended I wash with Aqueous cream which is really soothing in the vulval area. Its available at any chemist or supermarket for about £3 for a big tub. She also recommended Aveeno cream all over the body to nourish the skin. You can get this on prescription. Moisturizing the whole body improves the skin generally which I think helps the vulval area. I take ibuprofen before I go out with a friend or for a meal so that it takes the edge off the discomfort. Also use an ice gel pack to sit on or when I'm driving as its good for reducing the heat and discomfort.I have been much more comfortable and feel better physically after only two weeks of doing this. A lot of it is experiment and see. But nourishing your body and avoiding acidic foods like oranges , wine, alcohol etc can do no harm. Good luck

• Posted

I have Vulval LP. I am going to have to use a vaginal dilator in order to use ESTRADIOL VAGINAL CREAM i noticed several Lidocaine creams offered to help with pain on insertion. does anyone have any experience with this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.