lichen Planus Oral

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Fellow Sufferers

Im 42 and have just been diagnosed with oral lichen planus this week, god how depressed do I feel constant mouth ulcers and pain, is there really no cure???

Love to hear from you all

Vic

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately there is no cure to OLP. I have OLP for last 8 months and have made adjustments to my life style to deal with this alignment.

Cut on spicy food, use sls free paste and just leave a stress free life.... Stay away from steriods they offer short term benefit and OLP comes back with vengeance... Believe me I have gone through this cycle.

Looking at it positively there any many more dreadful things that people suffer from, we can surely deal with this OLP....

Thanks

• Posted

Hi,

Diagnosed with OLP September 2009. It has got much worst since then. March 2012 a biopsy confirmed I also now have Lichen Sclerous . Absolutely gutted. But the Prof. at the dental hospital I am a patient of can not understand why it is also affecting the roof of my mouth so badly as well.

Trided a low dose of steriods with no effect. I was asked if i would take a high dose of steriod but I said I was not happy due to glaucoma causing the loss of my mothers eye sight in one eye. I was told it "might" work and having been one who always seems to draw the short straw I felt the risk to high to take them.

I was told to avoid citris, acidic and spicey foods. After testing positive to cinnamon after patch testing twice, I am not on a Benzoate and Cinnamon Free diet. I was told by the Prof. at my dental hospital said it was a 6 week diet, the dietitian said it was a 12 week diet but afrter seeing the Prof. last week he said if it works it will be a diet i will have to stick to for life!

One says I can drink tea the other says no I can not drink tea.

Can any give me any tips to help ????

Thank you.

• Posted

Hi, I hope you see this, try Arsenicum Album, homeopathy treatment, it works for me every single time I have had a bad flare up, and I have had OLP for over 20 years.
  • Posted

Guppy:

Thanks! I will certainly try the Arsenicum Album.

I didn't follow up about the Dapsone, Alegra and Advantan, mostly because there was no activity on the forum - but they worked. There's a long lag time so I didn't see results for close to 30 days but then it cleared up. I say cleared up but it never goes away completely, I just got rid of the worst of it.

I strongly recommend The China Study in which the author explains how he was able to reverse heart disease and restore the immune system with a vegan-type diet. I'm convinced by his data but I'm on the fence about the diet smile

EM

• Posted

ElephantMan... I'm glad you found something that worked for you! I'm hoping that my Arsenicum Album kicks in,but I have a bad feeling this time as it seems more aggressive, I was recently diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis so I think its all linked to my immune system, its worse this time, I keep waking up in the night with my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth..not great! I'm only on the second day of taking AA so will keep at it for a week an hopefully it will work for me like it has in the past.
  • Posted

Richard Dawkins said when alternative medicine is rigorously tested and found to work - it becomes medicine! That's potentially my biggest problem with the Album, I agree with him. If it depends in any way on a placebo effect, I won't be expecting it.

That aside, I think the approach should be restoration of the immune system.

>waking up in the night with my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth

I have that too because of sleep apnea, I have to wear an air pump at night and I have no humidifiers for it. Getting my face unglued in the morning is a thrilling way to set the tone for the day. I know the feeling!

Please check out The China Study, if you can find a way to PM me, I have an electronic copy for you.

EM

• Posted

ElephantMan...Yes The China Study is def interesting, my sister had it so lent it to me, although I liked some of it, since getting UC I have done quite a bit of research and think I am on the right track with my diet for U Colitis.

With regards to my Lichen Planus, I slept better last night, so I am hoping things are starting turn for the better, I used to get LP very rarely, maybe twice a year, but that was before my UC, so I have a feeling I may have more flares,I hope not, but time will tell...

Sleep apnea sounds awful, I cant stand it when I wake up even once in the night! I read somewhere that there is a tablet you can place in your mouth when you go to bed, and it keeps your mouth lubricated throughout the night, I cant remember what its called, but it sounded quite good, it was on Amazon i think.

Guppy

• Posted

>keeps your mouth lubricated throughout the night

Sounds gross! I think I'll pass. smile

UC - Ulcerative Colitis? Strange you should mention that because I've just been reading about it. I've been showing possible symptoms myself. Here's a thrilling quote from the Wiki:

"High intake of unsaturated fat and vitamin B6 may enhance the risk of developing ulcerative colitis.[13] Other identified dietary factors that may influence the development and/or relapse of the disease include meat protein and alcoholic beverages. Ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune disease characterized by T-cells infiltrating the colon."

I'm guilty of alcohol and high B6 intake and we know LP is an autoimmune disorder. I inject the B vitamins to treat nerve damage in my feet. The China Study talks about the myth of meat protein so I'm seeing a pattern of cause and effect emerging. Alcohol has to go, it caused the nerve damage in the first place. I should probably reduce the B vitamin shots and then get on a seriously vegan diet.

It would be interesting to compare notes from time to time.

EM

• Posted

Elephant Man....

I think the current understanding is that we all carry a genetic predisposition to get UC, but it takes a trigger, such as an infection, environmental, diet etc to "flip" the (genetic) switch, which then causes our immune systems to react against itself...and then unfortunately its a life long chronic disease. which is a horrible thing to have to deal with, as its permanent...

The fact that you have Lichen planus means you have a slightly higher propensity towards the illness than someone who hasn't the disease...I happen to have 3 family members with Crohns, and I stopped smoking a year ago, and both those two things are another "trigger"

I think you just have to eat healthily, I tend to avoid red meat, and I dont drink alcohol, simply because I cant,which is a shame as I miss that but it makes me ill..although everything in moderation works I think.

Anyway you you cannot know whats around the corner, so I wouldnt worry.

Guppy

• Posted

I agree 100%, I'm not going to panic until it's absolutely necessary. I've pulled all the triggers you mentioned but I think I'm going to have a shot at the serious diet thing and let the world know in a year or so.

Best of luck to you - it's been great chatting.

EM

• Posted

ElephantMan..

Well keep us informed, and let us know you you get on from time to time....

• Posted

I sure will - if you don't hear from me in a year, I've probably left the building...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.