Lichen planus - will I ever be able to have sex again?

Posted , 11 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hello everyone,

I have been struggling to have sex with my husband for almost a year now. I have excruciating pain everytime we try.

He is a great person and understanding but there is no hiding the fact that it is a struggle for him (and me) that we are not able to have sex. The pain is incredible and as much as I try to grin and bare it, it is impossible to achieve penetration.

I was diagnosed with LS just a week ago after a biopsy and have been given dermovate to use once a night for 4 weeks. Had anyone used this and seen an improvement with vaginal pain? How long did the medication take to work?

Has anyone had severe sexual pain and overcome it after medication?

I'm desperate, I'm 26 and can't spend the rest of my life not having sex. What if I would like children later?

It's ruining my life. Please help. X

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your problem mirrors mine. My problems started about 3 years ago. I was eventually referred to a brilliant gynae surgeon who did a biopsy and the result was lichens schlerosus. I ended up havin surgery to cut away part of the perineum that was affected by lichens. The pain had been horrendous before. But, now everythings fine. You have to keep a lid on the lichens with dermovate which seems to be the only treatment. But dont dispair!!
  • Posted

Hello

I am new to this site, but have had LS for over 2 years. Tried loads of things, but at the moment Emuaid which is great (amazon) wasnt happy about having steriods all the time.

The only time I have sex is when I go out and get very drunk! Which isnt that often, also kills for about a week.

• Posted

Dont worry about the steroids on the under carriage We are in for the long haul and there is no better treatment at the moment So bite the bullet and get on with the ointment if you have a flare up. Barrier creams are fine to prevent body fluids hitting the fragile skin but  do nothing to promote the healing process

Casual sex is foolish as you have no idea how "enthusiastic the other person will be thus causing damage that could be avoided- Keep the  booze level to at most "tiddly" and you are able to control yourself!

Good luck S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.