Lichen Sclerorus

Posted , 5 users are following.

After years of myself and doctors not knowing what was wrong with me, it looks like I suffer with Lichen Sclerosus. I am twenty five years old and after lots of research this skin condition is mostly common in women over the age of fifty. I was just wondering if there were any others who suffer from this of a similar age to me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I started getting symptoms at 34 years old, 7 years ago right when I moved to Florida from NYC. I had no idea all these years that the city where I moved to uses Chloramine to treat the water. I really believe it is what triggered this. Check to see if your city uses this or high amounts of chlorine. I only use bottled water to wash down there now.

• Edited

Dear Sophie, I was diagnosed when i was 55, had probably had it for a few years before that without the right diagnosis. I'm 67 now and my condition has been stable for years on a simple regime of steroid ointment and emollient. I think LS quite often affects post-menopausal women. Hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

i don't know if I have it because gynecologists keep brushing me off..I'm 20 and have really bad itching around my labia minora; it seems like my skin has become thinner and it's shiny. I'm so sad because i literally can't figure out what it is and don't want it to get worse 😦 what are your symptoms? i don't have white patches but my primary care doctor told me it might be LS.

• Posted

sorry for taking so long to reply! I suffered (and still do) badly with itching and what looked like paper cuts. For around three years I was told it was thrush. However, after still having these symptoms I went back to my doctor and on examination I had white patches and some scarring and it was then I had a biopsy. I would definately keep an eye on it. I unfortunately had to be really persistent with my doctor and the scarring had got worse for me. Hope you get some answers soon!

• Posted

Hi guys! I'm 28, and my new gynecologist just suggested I might have LS. I started using the steroid cream twice a day and I'm going back in a month from now to do some follow up. I'm not in a lot of pain all the time, but I do get these weird cuts, and it seems that I've already lost some architecture. I don't have an official diagnosis yet, but based on these forum discussions, it seems likely that's what I have. I haven't seen any white patches yet, though!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.