Lichen Sclerosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I was first diagnosed coming up for two years ago now, I was 34 when I first got diagnosed and it was through a smear test that I was told I could possibly have a skin condition. I had itching but just put it down to womens problems, when I had a biopsy and was diagnosed mine was quite far on, my skin had fused over my clitoris and was given the dermovate to use for the first six months.

I am now coming up for two years and it is getting worse, the steroid cream doesnt seem to completely stop the itching and my anal passage has started to get really itch too. The skin around my anal passage is very tender and I am wondering if this is because of the condition too. I find myself waking up during the night in pain with the itching or that I have been itching during the night and wake up sore and ripped to shreds.

Has this affected anyone else in the anal passage? I have an appointment with my consultant soon and hoping that she will be able to put some light on it or reccomend another treatment for me.

Jane

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I was diasnosed in August with it. I have suffered for about 3 to 4 years. The first gynogologist was a man who was about to retire. He kept telling me I had a yeast infection and would give me medication for that. I finally switched to a woman and she knew right away. She did a biopsy to confirm it and put me on Clobetasol Propionate. I was to use it for 2 weeks and then whenever I had a breakout. Well as soon as the 2 weeks was up I began to have the symptoms again. So I would use it now and then. But it always comes back. Yes, I have trouble in the anal area also. I find myself waking up at night itching like crazy and make myself more sore. I am 54 and went through menopause early (45). I also have sarcoiodosis. I do consume caffeine and have been wondering if it affects it at all. My sex life is the pits. My husband is very understanding, though. I feel I have it deep inside and don't know how to treat this. I guess another visit to the doctor. It is nice to communicate with someone who knows the agony of the stuff!
  • Posted

i AM NEWLY DIAGNOSED L.S. AND I TOO AM EXPERIENCING SEVERE ITCHING AND SORENESS AROUND MY ANAL AREA AT THE MOMENT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE VERY VERY SORE BOTH ENDS, AND FEELING VERY TEARFUL AND WEEPY DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL WEEPY ALL THE TIME?
  • Posted

[quote:8817bcb484=\"T J\"]i AM NEWLY DIAGNOSED L.S. AND I TOO AM EXPERIENCING SEVERE ITCHING AND SORENESS AROUND MY ANAL AREA AT THE MOMENT I FEEL ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE VERY VERY SORE BOTH ENDS, AND FEELING VERY TEARFUL AND WEEPY DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL WEEPY ALL THE TIME?[/quote:8817bcb484]

I think I have this problem although I have not been to the doctor. I have itching in the genital area and going toword the back passage. I have found my own remedy which stops it in its tracks, and is very simple.

1. First cut away all pubic hair.

2. wash the area in the morning with a PH balanced soap, I use a product called LactAcid Intimo which is a gentle foam. Rinse and dry the whole area really well, finish off the drying with some toilet paper.

3. Cover the area with VASELINE, make sure that you cover all of it, you should get instant relief which will last through the day and night until you repeat it next morning. If there is still some itching, it means that you haven't covered the part enough, so just put a little more on. When you pass urine try not to rub off the vaseline, just dab yourself lightly with toilet paper.I'm not sure why it works so well, but I think that the vaseline acts as a barrier stopping the itchy area being contaminated by your urine and probably also stifles the growth of litchens, it is also soothing.

I have been using this regime for 7 days and the itching has completely stopped. I discovered it by chance when I had made myself sore scratching. The only thing I had in the house was vaseline to soothe it. I also think that sugar is a culprit and I have tried to cut right down on sweet foods.

I hope this helps - try it, you have nothing to lose and Vaseline is a harmless product

• Posted

sad my daughter who is 13 has LS and it is so hard to see her suffering she has had it for 3 years and its getting worse could any one tell me what like it is when you have a period as she has not started yet i would just like to know what kind of future she is going to have like will she be able to have a relationship i know thats a long way of but i am so worried for her if anyone can help me unterstand please
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear your daughter suffers with LS at such a tender age it's bad enough for me an oldie. My gyni man told me there is no cure and that 1 in 3women will suffer with this in their life time. He also mentioned something about lack of eastrogen in the body. I don't know how true this is as all the Drs I see don't really seem to know a great deal about this problem. All I know is it bloody itches like mad.
  • Posted

[quote:38e4abd154=\"itch\"]I am so sorry to hear your daughter suffers with LS at such a tender age it's bad enough for me an oldie. My gyni man told me there is no cure and that 1 in 3women will suffer with this in their life time. He also mentioned something about lack of eastrogen in the body. I don't know how true this is as all the Drs I see don't really seem to know a great deal about this problem. All I know is it bloody itches like mad.[/quote:38e4abd154]

I'm another young LS sufferer, I first noticed symptoms when i was 16 but ufortunately didn't do anything about it. Now i'm 19 I have been diagnosed with it for 6 months. To be honest, it's hard for me to say as I don't know how bad your daughter's symptons are but, for me, it hasn't affected any of my relationships as yet. As hers was diagnosed so young there is a good chance she will be able to control the symptons well and have perfectly normal relationships as I have. I hope it gives you some comfort to know that not all stories about LS are horror stories.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.