Lichen Sclerosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had lichen sclerosis for a couple of years now. It is the genital area. I have been using a corticosteroids which have helped imensly. I am wondering if this mecication will also thin the skin? For those of you who think you may have this, don't even hesitate to see a doctor. I didn't look to see what was going on but itched so badly that I knew something was wrong. I think I used the corticosteroids (it's an ointment) for two weeks straight, it may also have been longer. Now I use it once a week. I am not sure what causes it but I wore those light days pads for urinare dribbling. Now if talc can cause cancer, could these scented pads cause lichen sclerosis?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

That pads can affect us in an unhealthy way has been discussed on this forum before.  I can't remember the title of the discussion. 

?People were saying that feminine hygiene pads contain harmful toxins such as dioxin.  End result of the bleaching process I understood. 

?Small wonder that alternatives are coming on the market.  Like the diva cup for monthly periods.  But I'm not familiar with the pads for dribble.  Perhaps just ask your pharmacy?  I know there are safer products on the market. 

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

i used the the pads for the same reason as you admittedly for years.  I found though because I wasn't wearing them anymore I tended to make sure I didn't dribble almost like I knew the pads were there as a safety net.  I feel better not wearing them.  I keep spare pants in my handbag now and change them a couple of times in the day.  I don't wear any in bed I did that before LS and to be honest I wish I'd done all this years ago.  Urine sitting in the pad can't be a good thing.  I aren't sure if it caused it but the hygiene aspect maybe affects the skin.   I use it just once a week the ointment now.  Only a small amount I think if it helps us it's best to use it.  If you were worried you could ask for a less potent one.

• Posted

Hi Sue, I'm not really worried, I was just curious.   I have used corticosteroids on my hand and I feel that that skin has thinned the skin, so I was just wondering.  Thank God for the clobetasol. 

• Posted

I rarely used pads.   Only on the odd occasion when I was going to be doing anything really strenuous.  I now wear skirts and go knickerless most of the time.  It is amazing how knowing that you don't have knickers on encourages you to do your pelvic floor exercises.biggrin

• Posted

Hi Barbara,

i figure at at my age now other buses will come along before the thinning skin health wise so I don't worry either.  If it helps which it does so be it.  I realise it's different for younger people though.  I never moisturised there either, very ignorant on health matters in that department.  One thing I've done pass all this knowledge on to my daughter so she is aware that this happens.  My Mam was very embarrassed to discuss these things but I aren't.  It's skin isn't it just like our body elsewhere and after all we sit on such an area with a lot of pressure from our bodies.  I'm glad you feel a bit better with the ointment. 

• Posted

I don't know if the pads cause LS or not either, I was just wondering because of the perfume or the scent in them.  I wore these a lot for the occasional drips of urine my body would put out.  It was just a thought as I wore them for so long.

• Posted

I guess I forgot to mention that I am 62.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.