Lichen Sclerosis and HRT

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on HRT tablets from the age of 36 due to a total hysterectomy. At age 58 I was told to come off and developed LS. I was sent to see an older male gaenacologist, who told me to get back on it and stay on it. The LS was never treated and I had 7 more great years. Last year a young doctor told me to come off HRT as Im now 64 and they are reluctant to prescribe it. The LS is back with a vengeance. I was given Dermovate and Vagifem and had awful side effects and a rash at the top of my legs. As they both list more or less the same side effects I had to stop both and now just use Diprobase. Cant wait to get back to gaeny. So desperate I actually ordered hrt on line, but haven't taken them yet

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Basically what happened to me. Got LS shortly after stopping HRT also. Had a hysterectomy in 2010. I am 53 now. I stopped HRT few years ago. I should have stayed on them longer but Gyno I was seeing said I should stop. Grrrr!

I use estrace estrogen cream on the area now. It helps some

• Posted

Hi,  so are you saying you think being on HRT that it helped?  I didn't want to use the cream that was prescribed because I feared cancer, I've been thinking of going back on it.  Thanks for sharing!

• Posted

My Gyno now thinks its fine. She said just alternate using that and the steroid cream Clobetasol. 
  • Posted

I am 65 and have had problems for 5years and was diagnosed with LS last year. I was prescribed oestrogen cream  5 years ago and still use it 3 times a week and believe it helps along with Betnovate steroid for one week in every 4 plus constant moisturising.  See if your doctor will prescribe topical oestrogen. Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.