Lichen Sclerosis- pending biopsy

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, i'm 28 years old. ive been suffering with vaginal irritation/itchiness for as long as i could remember. i never put much thought into it. however, yesterday i went to my Gyn and had a pelvic exam. Her concern was the lightened skin in the vulva. She also noticed some "ulcers". however, i get lots of tears from the scratching. i dont know if that is what she was referring to. anyway, she couldnt give me a definitive diagnosis of LS. She wants to do a biopsy to confirm it and/or rule out cancer. the thought of having cancer scares me so much. i've been having so much anxiety since my visit. i havent been able to function just thinking about what it could be. i just want to sleep all day. my question is, does LS require a biopsy? or can clinicians usually identify it? i am scared that it is worse than LS. Thanks in advance to anyone reading this, your support means so much during this time.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. When a combination of MDs (family, dermatologist and urologist thought I may gave LS because of all of the symptoms, they directed me to get a biopsy. Turns out the findings are not conclusive, either way.

• Posted

Hi Vanessa - I never had a biopsy. My LS was diagnosed by gynae examination and my symptoms. Cancer is very rare - my dermatologist said you have as much risk as anyone in the population of contracting it, even if you have LS.

Remember LS can be managed and all of us on this forum agree on that. Try not to worry as that makes symptoms worse. And as Micall says, a biopsy can quite often be inconclusive for LS anyway.

• Posted

i havent found relief in 3 years with this! ive tried everything 😦

• Posted

Hi Vanessa,

Six doctors have told me getting a correct biopsy was difficult because the lab tech must know exactly what he/she is doing and all have told me they are inconclusive. Some experienced clinicians can properly diagnose but not all. The biopsy must be done right where the LS is suspected. True, the cancer risk is low, about 4%. I had one on the vulval area and, while yes, it was painful, it wasn't terrible. It hurt for about 3 days afterward but did not bleed. Put antibiotic cream on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.