Lichen Sclerosus

Posted , 30 users are following.

Would like to link up with anyone in Ireland who has or thinks they have the symptoms of lichen sclerosus. It is proving next to impossible to find a treatment for lichen sclerosis in Ireland although judging from the postings on this forum many people have been diagnosed with this condition in UK and US.

4 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I have been diagni

oses with mucosal lichen planus for about 9 years now. I too was put on steroids for about a year to try and control the symptoms which it did. I now use Dermovate on a regular basis to try and control the symptoms which flare up regularly. I have had 3 surgeries on my vagina as I developed adhesions caused by scar tissue. Also my labia minora have disappeared. I see my consultant yearly for smears and currently 3 monthly due to severe changes.  This really is a painful condition and not many people seem to have heard of it. It has affected my sex life but again I have a longstanding patient husband who is very understanding.  Also you should be aware that it can affect your mouth as well which it did in my case with with numerous mouth ulcers which need to be monitored as they too can turn malignant. Luckily my mouth is now in remission! I watched that video the last person indicated and found it very informative.  On e good idea was to have a bath to soften the scar tissue prior to application so that the steroid ointment can be better absorbed and I think I might try that. There are few dermatologists that suggest anything other than sterois from what I can see.  Would love to hear if anyone has any further ideas or comments. 😀

• Posted

Please please please take a look at 'Perrins' website.

You will need to decide if you want to take the risk of using a natural product yet to be agreed by FDSA as it is indeed a risk.

Long story short - I used Perrins Blend for 12 consecutive days and while I appreciate that not everyone is in the position to do very little other than relax and allow constant contact with the blend on the affected area,(it can get a little messy) the results for me have been nothing short of miraculous.

Prayers and perrins blend have led me to be symptom free within 14 days and I aim to continue with treatment one day per week for 'maintenance'

My inner and outer labia on one side were fused and underneath were sores, blisters, cuts etc which were obviously very worrying. The skin, after 14 days, is like brand new skin and approx 95% 'normal' skin, matching the opposite side which was always healthy.

Take a look at the site. There is a UK site and US.

Dont take my word for it - give the website a try.

Note of caution - it does sting a bit but is worth every second and great knowing it is a 100% natural product.

• Posted

Hi guest

i know this is an old post im just hoping you still check in.im just wondering how you are doin now as im from ireland as well.

• Posted

Hello Ladies,

I have been reading your blog and found it quite helpful.  I have recently been diagnosed with LS.  I'm 59, thinking back, I had symptoms when I was about 9, and my mother said I didn't clean myself enough, but I did.  I'm sure they didn't know what LS was back then.  Although I was born in the US, all four of my grandparents were born and raised in Ireland, and from some research I've found that there seems to be an Irish  connection.  My parents are deceased, so I cannot find out anything, although if they were still alive, I wouldn't be able to discuss it with them anyway.

I had surface blood vessels and was very itchy (vaginally and anally), especially at night.  After having my GYN of 20 years retire, I could not find one I was comfortable with, they seemed to use me as a guinea pig.  I moved 700 miles away, and recently found a young female doctor, who biopsied and diagnosed me on my first and second visits.

She put me on Clobetasol cream with no further instructions regarding diet, etc.  I have to return in 6 months.  I am interested in reading your findings, because its a rare skin condition in the US.  I worked as a Registered Nurse, but not specialized in OB/Gyn, and never heard of it.  

I am very interested in the treatments you receive and the dietary changes made to help prevent flare ups.  I know I'm much older than you, but I do hope you will include me in your discussion and treatments.  Thank you.

• Posted

Hi pansy i am from ireland diagnosed with LS in 2007 but i had it awhile before that and didnt no. Terrible terrible itching. I am 51 now i was given dermovate ointment which killed the itch. The doctor in the hospital back in 2007 never heard of LS he took out a book to find out what it was to my amazment. I was told to use the ointment sparingly as it thins out the skin been a steroid daily, until itching stopped. In a few days itch disappeared. He did not tell me i should have continued using clob twice weekly and to rub it in for 90 seconds until i saw it on youtube researching myself and from reading this forum site. The doctors dont seem to know much if anything about this horrible disease. Sugar seems to affect it so i try to stay away from sugar which is not easy. I get cuts on and off and they sting like hell. I used cycle now its so uncomfortable i havent done it in ages. I dont no if anyone else on this site are from ireland i presumed all were american for some reason. Its an autoimmune issue i hear. Unfort no cure but it gets me down now and again. Its not a topic one can discuss with friends. Wish you all the best. Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Thanks for writing me.  I have been looking around on the internet and gathering information on LS.  You'd think doctors would know more about this, ha!  I didn't know about rubbing the cream for 90 seconds, but I will do that next week, as I'm on a once weekly dose now.

For some strange reason, this has not gotten me down yet, although my diagnosis is recent.  I told my children but asked them not to tell the family, as they love to have something to talk about.  My children are half Irish, so I wanted them to be aware and get checked immediately if they had any issues.  I agree, I don't think I'd be comfortable talking to friends, as this is a highly personal disease.  I'm glad to have found this blog.  If you have any info or videos to watch, please send me a link.  Thank you and I wish all the best to you too!

Irene

• Posted

hi i live in dublin and iv just found out that i have this if you would like to have a contact with me i would be happy 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.