Lichen Sclerosus and Low Oxalate Diet

Posted , 10 users are following.

Found this article and had to share it! I attribute the success I have had in the last 11 weeks since diagnosis to staying moisturized, balancing my supplement intake and following a low oxalate diet, little sugar, no wheat, low carbs.  Please read it and comment! 

https://lichensclerosis.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/lichensclerosis[/b]/

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good morning Karen ~ what an interesting find!   

I don't have time until Sunday to do it justice.. but if I've read correctly so far this person is associating the source of problems back to a leaky gut, right? 

the other ting i picked upon is something about calcium being in the wrong tissues. That reminded me of having learned about the whole Vitamin D and Vitamin K2 relationship to calcium ...

congratulations on finding something that makes you feel better.. will read more later, Cheers, Nancy

• Posted

I pook forward to your feedback! I find this really interesting because I had 2 bouts of gall stones, gallbladder out in 2011, then two rounds of kidney stones in 2016/2017. Dr told me they were Calcium/ oxalate stones which basically means if you don’t eat enough calcium to bind with all the oxalates you eat ( whole grains, berries, nuts, brown rice, spinach, chocolateetc), then they form stones. 

I think all of this is related and has been leading up to LS. I have always tried to eat as healthy as possible- always wheat bread, lots of fruits and veggies, brown rice, wtc. And turns out they are all bad for me! Ugh! 

Talk to you more later! 

• Posted

Well I just posted a quick note to you Karen. Thanks for sharing your discoveries and I'll read it all on Sunday. 

NoO exactly what in that made the autobot pull my comment? this is getting ridiculous.

• Posted

Hi Karen, I have a serious problem with Salicylates and Histamines and so in my research I came across info on Oxalates, in fact, one lady suggested that if you got your oxalate levels down it helped with your Salicylates and so for a while I cut back on foods that were high in oxalates although my main problem was and still is Salicylates. 

I do believe that for some people that are sensitive a plant-based diet can cause problems.  I have not shared this before but I do believe that my spell of juicing probably pushed my body over the edge in terms of too many greens which for most people would be okay, but for someone with a compromised immune system (leaky gut) it was too much...so if your juicing like crazy, have a rethink, it was a health kick for a while and most people are fine with it but I believe it triggered a serious problem with salicylates not long after.

So, yeah, I think a low oxalate diet is worth trying for some people, as they can cause inflammation in the body for some.  Remember not to cut out all foods high in oxalates as you have to do it slowly otherwise you can have a bad reaction.

• Posted

Thanks Guppy. When I started to write it down, I was eati g about 1000 oxalates a day (between my 21 grain/ flaxseed bread, peanut butter and spinach 2-3x a day; in eggs, in sandwich , in salads). 

Most people should have about 200 oxalates a day, they want me down to 50 oxalates per day. 

Cutting whole grains, nuts, seeds, spinach ( ex. 1/2 cup is over 600 oxalates!!), I am easily in the 50-60 a day range and doing well. It’s so fristrati g that the healthiest foods can also be bad for me! 😬😬

• Posted

Karen, for a while the healthier I ate the sicker I became. This was devasting as I was a vegetarian at the time!!!  Since then I have learned what I can and cannot eat and try to stick with that, although I fall off the wagon sometimes. 

It still baffles me that such foods can have such an adverse reaction on one's body.  It sounds like you have a plan which is working for you 

• Posted

Ive replied but my post is being moderated...not sure why...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.