Lichen sclerosus and pregnancy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello to everyone smile this is my first time posting about this! 

Im 23 with a nearly 2 year old son. I was diagnosed with LS 5 years ago because I could no longer have sex and was waking up every night in pain and feeling so itchy. I was prescribed Dermovate steroid cream which helped a lot and helped me to get back on track with my usual life. 

However when I found out I was pregnant I was worried what effect having a my son naturally would have on my body. My gp at the hospital had no idea and basically fobbed me off like I was making it up. So I trawled the internet finding info about people my age (21 at the time) with LS and going through a pregnancy whether it be problem free or worse than before. 

I couldn't find anything at all! I was refused a planned C section so had to face the facts that I would have to have my son naturally and face whatever problems may come. My biggest fears were either my son getting stuck or not healing right or over healing. 

I made the decision to have a water birth in the birthing pool at the hospital. I'd read that this could help soften the skin and help with elasticity. On arrival at the hospital the No-Nothing GP suddenly decided she knew everything about LS (she repeated everything I'd already told her) and said I could labour in the pool but would have to come out just before my son was born to be monitored. Great. 

I have to say that labouring in the pool was the best choice I could have made, no "tightness" complications, easy to get comfy, free to move as I wanted. 

After the birth I had to have stitches. The most painful part! 

Despite all all this I am still "ok", I've had no flare ups or problems in the past 2 years since having my son. 

I just wanted to share share my experience as I couldn't find anything when I was in need. If anyone has any queries if be happy to help at any time. I feel as though I've been to hell and back with LS as most "sufferers" have I guess but I've come through it with a happy healthy little boy. Most days I don't even think if LS any more smile there is hope for anyone with this condition that it will ease off and you can feel "normal" again smile

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thankyou for your post- i havent been diagnosed with ls but have had an itchy bottom for over 10years, i have noted that my itch has only ever left during all 4 pregnancies- thought i was going crazy but good to know there other people with similar problems!
  • Posted

Hello i know this thread is a little old but there is not much information at all on the internet with woman suffering from LS and i wanted to share my story in the hope it will help others.

I was diagnosed not long after my Daughter was born at 22 years old, my doctor at first was so shocked someone at my age had LS i was sent off to have a consultaion to confirm i had it. I knew i had to be on steriod cream for the rest of my life, but to be honest anything that would help the terrible itching down bellow and the thinning of the skin i was relieved.

I am now 33 and fell pregnant with my second daughter 3 years ago, my imeddiate worry was a vaginal birth as i knew i had scarring from LS. I saw my first consultant who really did not seem to know what LS was and said 'Its rare but i see no problems giving birth naturally a c-section is major surgury and i feel it is not necessary' She did not even want to give me a check down bellow to see the extent of my condition. I then made another appointment with one of the top consultants so i was told. He was lovely very jokey and did put my mind at ease he said 'Whats the worst that can happen a few sticthes, you can have a c-section but thats major surgery and alot worse' Again i requested for him to at least look but he seemed to want us out and kept insisting that my condion was not a major risk, i did leave feeling better that in fact i could deliver naturally and maybe LS was not all that bad and with the midwifes putting hot towels i would not bleed.

Cut a long story short i was 12 days over due when my waters broke labor was ok the midwifes were saints and were all aware i had LS, i did have to explain what it was to a few of them. I gave birth to a lovely Daughter after 9 hours of labor two pushes and she was in my arms. I was uttery amazed when i asked my midwife if i had torn and she replied maybe just a few stiches needed i was crying with happiness. As i had my Daughter in my arms i could see the Midwife tugging trying to get the placenta out looking slightly concerned. It did come out eventually but i hemorrhaged all i can remember is the room filling up emergency bells, an iv being put in my arm my partner lookiing horrified. I was rushed into sugery terrified i had lost so much blood, basically LS had damaged the tissue so severly i was ripped inside even near the bladder i had to have reonstructive surgery it was terrible and recovery was awful i had to have a catheter for two weeks, and it was just terrible rubbing against my stitches, i could not look after my daughter (thank goodness for my amazing partner) 

I am sorry to write such a negative story but i just want to raise awarness, if you do suffer from LS please get the consultants to examine you properly. Its a condition i feel is not researched enough for pregnant woman as its so rare. If my partner and i decide to have another it will be a c-section. 

I do hope this helps woman 

• Posted

Hi Tina,

Thank you so much for your sharing of experience.

I am going to deliver in March, and I am quited convinced that with my condition of LS I should have a c-section despite all the potential damages it may bring about.

Can I know how is your condition at the moment ? Do you still use any steroid as maintenance and at what interval it is?

Thank you so much, best wishes,

Phong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.