Lichen Sclerosus sufferer who is allergic to steroid creams

Posted , 7 users are following.

Is there anyone else out there who has Lichen Sclerosus but is unable to use steroid creams?

I have been suffering with LS for about twenty years. At first without much discomfort but last year at a time of extreme stress coupled with the need to travel to a hot country (stress, heat and travel are all triggers I now know), I had a terrible flare up, scratching, burning, dragging feelings, unable to walk and certainly not able to sleep. I was besdie myself. The doctor finally prescribed Prioptin as an alternative to Clob which seems to be the most used treatment. I started using the Priotin every day until my doctor told me not to and now I'm not using anything at all. But as we all know doctors don't always give the correct advice so should I go back to regular useage? Also the last couple of weeks I seem to have a very itchy scalp which might also be LS. Any tips on how to deal with this?

Sylvia

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I started bathing the area, make sure the area is dry, use a blow dryer then I put a little caster oil on. It works great for hot days! If I'm having more symptoms, then I mix 1 Tbsp caster oil, 1 drop lemon grass and 3 drops lavender and apply either morning or night and alternate just caster oil. Occasionally I do have to use steroid cream.

• Posted

Oatmeal soap for bathing. Virgin olive oil on affected area. It works.
  • Posted

Hi Sylvia,

I have had excellent results without steroids. Look up the thread, “An Experiment with Borax.”  This has been a godsend for me. The parts that had fused have unfused, and the white areas are now a healthy pink. 

For the itching and burning, soak in a tub with 1/3 cup of baking soda.  After a couple of baths, my itching went away, and I had had that for years.  Other things that help: coconut or emu oil applied several times a day, and wearing cotton panties. Things to avoid: acidic or spicy foods, wine, wheat, dairy, sugar, soap.  Not sure about your scalp, but check on-line.  Maybe you can do a rinse with baking soda or Borax (sodium borate) after a shampoo.

• Posted

When you soaked your washcloth in borax solution or and baking soda solution how much did you put to the water and how long did you leave the cloth on your vagina thank you
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

There are 2 ways to do this.  The first one is to stir Borax into a small container of water until the borax no longer dissolves and you can see crystals at the bottom of the container.  This is a saturated solution. Then dip a cotton swab in the solution and swab onto the problem areas.  I did this twice a day until I saw a vast improvement. Now I do it once a day, just to make sure I stay that way.  I believe Alistar once mentioned that she would dip a cloth into the solution and drape it across her vulva for a little while.  You can probably find that in the discussion thread.

The second way is to soak in a tub with 1/6 cup of Borax.  I do that a couple times a week, and on those days I don’t apply the solution with the swab.

I also soak in a tub with 1/3 cup of baking soda a couple times a week.  It all seems very daunting at first, but now I look forward to my tub soaks.  It’s a relaxing way to end the day, and no itching to wake you up.  I’ve been using borax for a little over a year now with great success, and no side effects.

• Posted

Hi Sylvia,

I use protropic which is the alternative non steroid cream to dermovate/club. Doctors don't like to prescribe it as it's more expensive. But I found steroids don't work for me. I also use borax.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.