Lichenoid reaction

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I have had an ulcer on my tongue since May and it got a lot worse and bigger in June with red and white patch. It flares up and can be extremely painful. I've just had a biopsy and the results have come back as a lichenoid lesion. The doctor has written to me saying it is likely caused by a filling in my tooth. I don't see how this can be corrected as I have a number of fillings on the other side of my mouth with no reaction there. From what I've read online it is an allergy so surely if I was allergic then I'd have sores where all of the fillings are? And also the sore isn't painful all of the time, it flares up which again doesn't seem to fit. Any thoughts please?

Lauren

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I same story except none of the oral surgeons and my dentist know why i have it. Interesting that your dr.said it is likely caused by a filling...

i've have this white patch under mytongue for years. Do you have pain when you just open your mouth?

• Posted

Did you have a biopsy of it? Is yours painful? My original ulcer comes and goes and when it is flaring up yes, speaking, breathing, talking hurts!
    • Posted

Had 3 biopsies. It is painful! There are times when it seems somewhat better. Eating popcorn,tortilla/potato, chips is just like eating cactus or glass.Do you have any amalgam fillings?

• Posted

Yes, I have amalgam fillings. However, I've had those for many years, long before having symptoms. I have not had a biopsy yet. So sorry you are in so much pain. I totally understand. It hurts all the time, worse when eating and drinking.

• Posted

Thanks, I saw the consultant yesterday and he went through the report which says the findings are most consistent with a lichenoid lesion. Differential diagnoses include lichen plans, allergy to filling or immune mediated response. So basically they don't know why it is there. He said I have 3 options; do nothing, remove the whole area or seek a 2nd opinion. As I have other health issues I'm going to take the report to a rheumatologist to see what they say.

• Posted

I wonder what all of us here have in common? So that might be a clue as to why we all have this problem....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.