Lidocain patch for FS?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone tried an over the counter Lidocaine patch or a doctor prescribed Lidocaine Patch? 

If you have... were you still freezing, in the horrible night pain, and shooting pain down the arm?  How much did it work, if at all? 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Jmiller, 

Have not tried any patches. I had a school classmate try physical therapy and she said it did not work but she said acupuncture did. I, myself had manual manipulation with bone spurs removed. Last Monday was my first PT appt and this is my second week of PT. My physical therapist states this week is better than last week 😊. 

• Posted

Sorry for the pain you are experiencing. I never tried the lidocaine patch. I tried many other OTC & prescription medications. I'm embarrassed to say that I recently tried peppermint essential oil mixed with olive oil, rubbed into the shoulder, upper arm & surrounding muscles, & IT WORKED BETTER than anything else I tried in the previous 3 months. How is that possible?! Couldn't possibly be placebo effect because I thought the mere suggestion of it for such excruciating pain was absolute nonsense. No, it hasn't fixed it, but it relieves it enough that I can sleep & get through my day without any other medication. Peppermint essential oil...I can only say that in an online forum where I'm anonymous because it's unbelievable. The other things I am doing is rolling a tennis ball up & down the shoulder & arm, massaging under the arm, and doing very simple range of motion exercises. Best of luck to you with this!

• Posted

In case you decide to try it, it's NOT the peppermint flavouring used for baking. It's called peppermint essential oil & you need to mix it with a couple drops of olive oil to avoid skin irritation. Do not ingest it; just apply topically to the skin.

• Posted

It doesn't seem too crazy to me.  My good friend is hooked on essential oils and told me to try them out last weekend.  She said there was one for pain, and she would mix me up one.  she carries them around in her purse.  I may try it, I'll try anything to get a better night sleep... anything!! 

Thank you for the suggestion, and that you use them too... it verifies she's not crazy either.  lol

• Posted

I’ve heard a few good things about essential oils? Maybe something to think about. I just know that during PT, I have to take prescription medication or I can’t make it. It is Vicodin with a high dosage of Tylenol. I was so scared to take it the first time in June and only three 3x per week for PT. The first time I took it I was flying high all day. Are you ready for a funny.. I have not said a cuss word in over 15 years and one came out that day.  I was stressed out so much and buzzy from the medication. To top it off our daughter heard me and I tried to cover it up; then I owned up to it 😅. Shocked her and I. Honestly, don’t know how anyone can do PT without pain meds. 

• Posted

Hi I have finally after many many months of continuous pain be prescribed a morphine patch that works for a week. It's 20mg (20mg per hour) and so far this is day 2 and it isn't reliving the pain but it sure is making me feel high and very weird.

• Posted

the Morphine patch scares me, I'm very sensitive to pain meds... I get that "icky' feeling regardless of how much I eat or drink with them.  They drop my blood pressure, and make me dizzy.  But I have to take them to get through PT.  I hope those start working for you!!  Hope you get some relief soon!!

• Posted

Hi think the patch to strong for you as making you feel weird , if your in uk ? They do lower strength patches ( butran)

I’ve reacted to a lot of oral analgesics .. codeine and tramadol and would likely react to opiates /morphine . If you not feeling right take it off as you will start to feel worse 

Best of luck to you xx

• Posted

I woke this morning not be feeling very well. I feel very into the wall. I was sick as a dog. I removed the patch and went back to bed. I slept for about 4.5 hrs on and off and I'm still feeling ill. Don't think these patches are for me

• Posted

Hi Jmiller! Not tried lidocain patches.. I’m also very sensitive for medicin.. have been using oxycodone but to much paresthesis, muscle cramps and other things.. now tried Citodon( codein and paracetamol) It did take the edge of the pain but I had an allergic reaction with a sligthly swollen troath so my doctor could not recommend me to continue with these either.. so coldbags and coldbags is what I use.. and acupuncture dont know if it reduces pain in shoulder but it does relax muscles.. 

it cant be dangerous to try lidicain pathes.. I have used the cream but only on insect bites and itches...  hope you find something that reduces your pain.. if so please share! 

• Posted

I am still in the freezing stage and have tried the Lidocaine patches from the doc. Did not help, also tried the cream, didn't help either. I have tried all kinds of things and find no relief. Had a cortisone shot 1 week ago, extremely painful but at least I am sleeping more than 2 hours at a time and I am starting to see a little relief.. Ice seems to work the best for me. Been fighting this for about 4 months now. 

• Posted

I've tried them in the past for back pain and they worked very well, however not for FS. My surgeon just mentioned to me that nothing topical will touch the pain b/c the capsule is so deep. Seems to be true for me so far, as CBD oil and BioFreeze, which I usually think are great don't do a thing for my FS pain. So far ice packs are in constant rotation. Even my TENS unit on high can't touch my pain now. sad

Hope you find relief soon! 

• Posted

I tried the patches. It could take the edge off of the pain, which helped, but there was still pain.
  • Posted

Lidocain patch did nothing for me. I tried both OTC and prescription patches. I was in the freezing stage when I tried them. I had a very very painful cortisone shot 2 months ago, didn't help with range of motion but was a big help for pain. I was able to sleep. The shot is wearing off now, doctor offered another shot but said it really wouldn't help much, so surgery is Thursday. Doctor did say I have an extreme case, 11 weeks of PT didn't help at all. Ice seems to work the best for pain, I have ice on my shoulder most of the time. Pain pills make me high and I still have the shoulder pain. Good luck I think we all are different, I hope you find relief.  

• Posted

I was breastfeeding and basically couldn't do anything but Tylenol and icepacks, and tiger balm massages.  It sounds like from all of you that I would have been wasting my time with all these meds and patches anyway, so I'm glad I skipped them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.