lidocaine

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have Lichen Sclerosus and have been following discussions on here for a while.  I have read that Lidocaine is a topical aneasthetic and someone on this site, somewhere has used it for treating painful sex.  I have that very same problem and have been to my GP to ask for this in  gel form.  I live in the U.K. and cannot remember what thread I saw it on, only that the person in question was given this as she was diagnosed before her wedding to be used on her honeymoon.  My GP says, she has never heard of the gel or the viscous form.  Again somebody replied and said they'd used the liquid with a cotton wool ball, inserted it into the vagina to numb the area. 

What my GP has requested is, has anybody any information on this product, dosage, strength, how to use it etc., etc.,  I'm at my wits end.  If anybody out there has any information on how I can get my hands on this or pass info to my GP I'd be eternally grateful.  I would just like to have some sort of sex life back.

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I always wondered why sex is so painful for me! Things made a lot more sense when I was finally diagnosed with LS. I'm curious to know about Lidocane as well, because I dread sex due to the pain. Unfortunately for me, I just switched jobs and I won't have decent health insurance again until December. So if I go back to my gynecologist before then, I'll get billed up the wazoo. (Yay for the U.S. being ass-backwards when it comes to healthcare.) But once I go back I will ask and post anything I find out. 
    • Posted

I beleive sex life is over with for me,2 tears ago it hurt so i know it's over with,don't have a man anyway now i never will.i am wondering too how this lidocine will work hmmmm
    • Posted

Lidocaine makes sense for the two girls here who are about to have a wedding night or the husband is going away for a long time, but masking the pain while aggravating the flare-up with the friction of sex is not a good strategy long-term.
    • Posted

Hi Ms WigglesofDoom...I have to write to defend the US!!  I have never had health insurance...but have never been turned away from any hospital, clinic, or dr. because of that.  There are always arrangements made to  pay the bill by the month and we have always paid our bills, even though by spreading out the payments. Usually the bills have even been reduced!  and that includes the drs. bill.  If you need to see a dr. for your LS and can't wait through two more months, it may be a good idea for you to either call or go in to your dr. or hospital or clinic and go to the billing office and ask about making payments for whatever treatment you get.   Again, please let me defend this country!  There is all sorts of financial help available...just ask.
  • Posted

It's interesting reading all of these replies.  Although I live in the UK I still have to pay for perscriptions.  I would also pay to get hold of anything that would help with my original post.  Would like  to know what Clobestasol and Triamcinolone are for?? Are they just for the treatment of LS??  Also Elidel and Protopic?? Can any of these help with painful intercourse??  Yes, it's a HORRIBLE condition that seems as though nobody has taken the time to study.  I have heard of the Mona Lisa Touch but at a total of £3,000 (English Pounds) it's not an amount that everybody can get their hands on. All help would be appreciated
    • Posted

The ointments and creams are to slow down the inflammation happening in the 'basement layer' of the affected skin. They take months to settle the symptoms down and from everything I've seen from lots of women here, they don't necessarily prevent all scarring or fusing. We've got crappy, fragile skin and the friction that makes sex fun doesn't help. All I can say is, the very best two things you can do are manage your stress and eat as little sugar as possible without making diet a stressful obsession.

The terrible truth is a lot of us oldies have a lower bar than comfortable intercourse – we hope things won't close up to the point we can't pass urine.

Intercourse will be painful if you're already flared up. And it will make it worse. I've had LS for forty years and no treatment until two years ago. The LS did go into remission for years at a time, usually when I wasn't in a stormy relationship.

• Posted

I really worry if any man will ever want me beings that sex will be near inpossible.i figure most people that have l s already have someone.i guess i will have to relize that no man will except this.The doctor told me today use the clob once a week.and the lidocine use as well.well i guess i will see how it works.i just hope this gets better soon.Oh she did say i'm not fussed and mine is a mild case.so i guess thats a little of good news
    • Posted

There are remissions, Lori! It's not over. I've had lots of great sex and two babies. If you have a mild case, maybe you're like me.
    • Posted

No man is going to except i have something where we might not be able to have sex much.i guess i have to face it.I will never have a realationship because of this.this L S defently has ruein any romantic part for me.I will try and have hope.
  • Posted

I think sex life is over unless some miricle comes around to fix it
    • Posted

Lori,

Just wanted to tell you, I am 36, I've had LS since I was 20. I got married at 25. My husband and I have been married 11 yrs now. We have had times of good sex, but more times that I haven't been able to have sex. This has caused some relationship problems, but we are still committed. Marriage is not all about sex, there are lots of other enjoyable, fun things! I have been using my Clob faithly, (even though it burns like fire) in hope that this terrible condition will go into remission. We would like to have a baby, but at this time, we are not able to have sex. We have to keep believing that it will happen again! Chin up! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.