Lidocaine not wearing off?

Posted , 2 users are following.

A few years ago, I had a partial removal of my toenail with a lidocaine ring block anaesthetic. At first it didn't kick in, and I had to stop them wheeling time through to the OR because I still had more or less full sensation! The surgeon administered a second dose, which the took about 45 minutes to fully take effect.

I still had some sensation during the procedure, altough only moderate pain (and certainly not as bad as the pain of the actual injections.

I was told that it would wear off within a few hours. The next day, my toe was more numb than it was during the surgery, with complete loss of sensation (as far as I can tell, bandaged up). After the bandages came off, it was still completely numb, with some minor aching pain above in my foot, and a very sharp pain directly over where the injections went in (localised to within 1-2mm) when touched.

This state of numbness with with sharp pain when any kind of pressure was applied to the injection sites continued for 5-7 months. It was close to 12 months before I regained full sensation, and another 6 months after than before the sharp pain went away.

Now faced with an upcoming wisdom tooth extraction, I'm trying to explore this more. Has anyone else had local anaesthetics not wear off as quickly as they're supposed to?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So many injections didn't work. Then it doesn't wear ok for almost a year. 

Sorry that hat was a rough experience.

I have never had that experience. I have had the opposite lidocaine wearing off to fast at the dentist.. In the US lidocaine is mixed with adrenaline. I'm allergic to the adrenaline it also makes the lidocaine last longer, without adrenaline only lidocaine dentist has to work fast or I speak up when I feel anything frtom drilling to a filling. 

For a root canal, your dentist or endodontist will check your medical history and current medications to ensure your health and treatment safety. If you are very nervous, an oral sedative or anti-anxiety medication or also nitrious oxide, light sedation. You can discuss the options with your dentist or endodontist ahead of time.

• Posted

I didn't know you could be allergic to adrenaline. What happens when you get shocked or scared by something and your body releases it naturally?

The Endodentist I spoke to who has been assigned to me was not interested, and just said he'll give a local lidocaine anaesthetic only, but I could choose to ask my GP to prescribe a single Valium tablet before the procedure if I wanted (although they'd be under no obligation to if they disagreed).

• Posted

The adraline issue with me is my body makes to much of it naturally and any more administered can literally cause a reaction so hyper I am literally glued to the ceiling & racing around the office cannot sit still.Sets off the "fight flight" in my system. I scared one dentist so much one time he actually took the time to diagnose why this happens to me . Therefore without adrenaline added to lidocaine I am very calm thru dental procedures. I refer to it as a allergic reaction which is really a over load of adrenaline to my system. I am just lazy to go thru the total explanation. It is a weird sensation and I am a bit embarrassed about it. 

Also so great idea take a Valium it a sedative helps a lot. 

Good Luck

Hope 👍

• Posted

Very rare for doctors to give Valium here. I have quite a good GP who has the "if it helps, take it, no point making you suffer if you don't need to" mindset, but I've never asked or been prescribed Valium before, except as a muscle relaxant while in hospital when my jaw spasmed (last Yorkie bar ever!).

I don't feel comfortable with having another lidocaine injection when I know I've had a bad reaction in the past, so I'm trying I work out if I can not have the extraction.

• Posted

Wisdom tooth extraction , why is the wisdom tooth need removing. That's the better question to ask yourself? Is it infected causing pain ? 

• Posted

No room for it - it'll eventually start pushing against the jaw bone, dentist said it was the biggest wisdom tooth he'd ever seen.

• Posted

No room for wisdom teeth is why most adults have them pulled. If not pulled they can cause all kinds of issues. I hope it works our for you Valium or whatever. If lidocaine dipoles the do then tell the dentist to stop. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.